Shin splints - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2004, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Tippmann Send a message via Yahoo to Tippmann
Shin splints

Since Iíve started training in muay Thai I have been experiencing pain in my shins. At first it was bearable, but lately it seems to be getting much worse. When Iím not doing anything my shins have a constant dull ache to them. When I run, jump rope, or kick Thai pads the dull ache becomes a sharp stabbing pain that is almost unbearable. I am told this is a condition loosely referred to as "shin splints". I am also told that once this condition is diagnosed there is no way to get rid of it, other than to stop what ever physical activity you are doing. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this or knows someone that does. But it would appear that if this won't/can't go away, I may be done with muay Thai to avoid any long term damage to my legs.

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewaysducati
SWIPE THE CARD GRANDMA!!!
SWIPE THE GODDAMNED CARD!!!!
WARNING
If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all who claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think everything you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told you should want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned...... Tyler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2004, 05:20 PM

Bro I have had them when I was seriously training in muay thai. You can get rid of them over a long period of time. I had them a little over a year ago. But since I have stop all my running and jumping rope due to school and trying to start two business, they have gone away. I no longer feel the pain when I run or jump rope.
Let me guess that you were running as far as you could everyday or doing a long day followed by a short distance day of running and jumping rope every day. That is how mine got started. A free piece of advice as a personal trainer. To keep yourself from getting shin splints due on aerobic activity a day, either running or jumping rope along with your muay thai training. That and put something heavy on top of your toes and lift it towards your head to build the muscle that surrounds your shin bone up. This will also help to prevent shin splints from forming, and do calf raises to build up your calfs. If the pain is as bad as you say it is, the best advice I can give you is to stop all training for a week or two, perferable two. This means no running, jumping rope, or muay thai training to allow your shins to heal. You have sustained an injury and need the rest to recover and start training again. Good luck on your training and recovery, if you want any more advice just ask for it.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2004, 05:30 PM

I have a similar problem and sometimes the pain is incredable. Shin splints come from tight calves. Jogging is really bad on shin splints but walking seems to be ok. If you need cardio try a stair climber or bicycle. You need to rest your calf muscles for awhile (couple of weeks) then stretch them before you work out. Try to get more Potassium in to your diet. (Bananas, Gatorade, Potassium salt). Drink lots of water. Hope this helps.

A few ccs short of a full litre.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2004, 06:04 PM

I had shin splints a couple of years ago, and it turns out that it was due to me tieing my shoelaces too tight...

--There is a wrong way to eat a Reese's, and I will find it.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2004, 06:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to ga_skyline_rydr Send a message via Yahoo to ga_skyline_rydr
Quote:
Originally posted by Slip-On Rapist
I had shin splints a couple of years ago, and it turns out that it was due to me tieing my shoelaces too tight...

Me Big Brother, me watching you

skylinerydr- where the ground meets the sky

Today is the day of the beginning of your life, ride safe
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2004, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Ninja250F18
Let me guess that you were running as far as you could everyday or doing a long day followed by a short distance day of running and jumping rope every day.

That and put something heavy on top of your toes and lift it towards your head to build the muscle that surrounds your shin bone up.
Very informative ninja. That is how they got started. I'll take your advice in a couple of weeks and go from there. Right now I don't think I can do anything that involves my legs.

You too mac, thanks.

Quote:
WARNING
If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all who claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think everything you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told you should want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned...... Tyler
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2004, 07:19 PM

Tipp, Just remember I can't ganrentee that the splints will go away that fast but be patient with them and they will go. Let me know how your shins feel in about a week or two and maybe I can help you with some more advice from there, but hopefully your body is quick to heal and they go away in two weeks. But good luck on the recovery and Mac is right maybe you should also look into busting your potsium intake some. Try drinking 2 gatorades a day and lots of water, just don't over hydrate yourself.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2004, 08:59 PM

Having known a few marathoners...
Shin splints are the muscle pulling away from the bone alone your, you guessed it, shins!
Characterized by pain in that area when used. Think strained muscle as thats what it is. The bad part is that that area is used daily just to walk so it can take a long time to heal.
The ONLY way to fix shin splints is to give them rest. 2 weeks may work but a month is better. NO STRESS on your shins; no biking, hicking, walking, jump rope...
Adding heat may help as it draws blood to the area but nothing else will.
Potassium and hydration will help prevent them but once its happened it wont help. Its a physical injury not a chemical imbalance.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2004, 03:55 PM

Vigis is right it may take 2 weeks or it could take longer, just recover from it and then start your training again.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by vigis
2 weeks may work but a month is better. NO STRESS on your shins; no biking, hicking, walking, jump rope...
Damn. I think I'll keep going to class this month because I've already paid for the month. I think what really did me in was running a few miles a day on the road. Someone told me that it is much less stressful if I were to run on an actual track.

Quote:
WARNING
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode