looks like im waitin...dream shot down - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-30-2004, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs down looks like im waitin...dream shot down

im 20, well i got the money saved for a bike and my mom just really wont have it. she started breaking down & crying. she said once im out of college (2 yrs) then i can buy whatever i want. i guess its not worth it to destroy the relationship w/ my mom over a bike. even tho its a dream...i guess its going to have to hold off for a couple years...it sucks though. really bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-30-2004, 02:27 PM

Re: looks like im waitin...dream shot down

Quote:
Originally posted by sykal
im 20, well i got the money saved for a bike and my mom just really wont have it. she started breaking down & crying. she said once im out of college (2 yrs) then i can buy whatever i want. i guess its not worth it to destroy the relationship w/ my mom over a bike. even tho its a dream...i guess its going to have to hold off for a couple years...it sucks though. really bad.

Sign both of you up for the MSF course. She's scared to lose you, scared of her perception of motorcycling, and she's scared of the unknown. Maybe if she takes the course w/ you she'll understand the passion and give you her blessing. Who knows, it could work?!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-30-2004, 02:56 PM
Best ET 7.77 @ 186mph

Send a message via Yahoo to DreamRyder
hey.. dont' sweat it... keep that money in a savings account and in 2 yrs when all is good there will always be bikes available to fulfill that dream.. just cause you can't do it now (out of respect for your mom) doesnt' mean it won't ever happen... I've wanted to ride on a race track since I was 16 and it took (uhm well a long time lets just say ) many years for that dream to come true and now I'm making up for lost time and enjoying every minute of it

E.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

If it's too good to be true... then you must be Dreaming.

ONLY FEMALE WORLD WIDE to run in the 7's with a Prostreet Bike (no bar, slider, 2step, or slicks)

Sponsored by: RCC Turbo, Bellman Oil, Syed Leathers, Schnitz Racing, Boost by Smith, Cycle-Tek, Tiger Racing, Machine Works Racing, R&R Trailers by RandPCarriages.com, Mirror Look Customs, Rev'd Up Motorsports, and ofcourse SportBike World !

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-30-2004, 06:17 PM

See, I am a little bit less sympathetic than everyone else. yes, she's afraid of losing you. Any parent would feel that way. However, you aren't going to destroy the relationship with your mom just because you get a motorcycle. You're 20 years old, and you're an adult now. You can make your own decisions, and the reason that she's probably pitching a fit is because she still wants to have 'control' over what you decide. I may be wrong, but I've seen it many times. But like I said, she's not going to stop loving you just because you get a bike. Besides, just tell her that with rising gas prices, you're going to save money in the long run, and it's a great investment!

--There is a wrong way to eat a Reese's, and I will find it.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-01-2004, 06:56 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
Quote:
Originally posted by Slip-On Rapist
See, I am a little bit less sympathetic than everyone else. yes, she's afraid of losing you. Any parent would feel that way. However, you aren't going to destroy the relationship with your mom just because you get a motorcycle. You're 20 years old, and you're an adult now. You can make your own decisions, and the reason that she's probably pitching a fit is because she still wants to have 'control' over what you decide. I may be wrong, but I've seen it many times. But like I said, she's not going to stop loving you just because you get a bike. Besides, just tell her that with rising gas prices, you're going to save money in the long run, and it's a great investment!
+1

Emotional blackmail pisses me off.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-01-2004, 07:02 AM
Some days are like this.

Quote:
Originally posted by spicersh
+1

Emotional blackmail pisses me off.
+2

Just a question: how long are you going to let your mom control your life? If she pays for your tuition or living expenses, I'd say let it ride for a few, but if you are paying your own way, do what you want to do.

Gotta cut the umbilical cord someday.

"I often wonder why I talk to you, then I realize, although you put me down, you do it with love." - Jester
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-01-2004, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by spicerke
Gotta cut the umbilical cord someday.
BINGO!

+3

your life is for YOU to live, not for her to tell you how to live it. with all do respect to moms out there (including mine).

SQUID=Stupidly Quick, Underdressed, & Imminently Dead

Katie has a nice "spice rack".

If you can read this, thank a teacher....If you're reading this in English, thank a Veteran.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-01-2004, 10:43 AM

Give her a hankie, buy good gear, and be responsible, prove her wrong.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-01-2004, 10:45 AM

I was in the military for about 3 years when I bought my bike and I told my parents about it. My dad was completely freaked, as was my mom. Then I had them down here at "my" house and when they saw it, the first words out of their mouths were "Ohhhh cool!". To make it even funnier, my mom called me the other week because she knows that I'm going to get a new one in a couple years and said "Have you seen the new 1000RR?". I said.. "Can you please say that again? I don't think I heard you correctly!".

--There is a wrong way to eat a Reese's, and I will find it.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-01-2004, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

i been thiking about it, i dont know though. my parents pay my tuition for college right now, i have 2 more years until i graduate. i live at home when im home from school. however i see what you all are saying, and my mom trusts me 100%, i have the money to afford a bike now, so i think i might just go buy it behind their back and just bring it home. ive told my mom countless times im going to take a MSF course, and wear heavy duty leather. she says she just doesnt trust the other ppl...i dont know how thats gonna change in 2 years though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode