Welding - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2004, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

Welding

Hey,
I'm going to be taking a class during the summer at my community college that I'm attending right now. I got the summer catalog and Ive narrowed it down to 2 classes (both Welding) I was just wondering if anyone who has any experience with these could tell me which would teach me more and be more fun to take, thanks.

Welding 100: Introduction to Oxyacetylene Welding; Theory, safety procedures, and development of fundamental skills in oxyacetylene welding.

Welding 101: Introduction to Arc Welding; An introduction to the process of shielded metal arc welding (SMAW) emphasizing theory and application of proper welding procedures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2004, 04:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to Tippmann Send a message via Yahoo to Tippmann
Over my head.

Sounds cool though, good luck

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewaysducati
SWIPE THE CARD GRANDMA!!!
SWIPE THE GODDAMNED CARD!!!!
WARNING
If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all who claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think everything you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told you should want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned...... Tyler
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2004, 04:43 PM

Re: Welding

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Dan 35
Hey,
I'm going to be taking a class during the summer at my community college that I'm attending right now. I got the summer catalog and Ive narrowed it down to 2 classes (both Welding) I was just wondering if anyone who has any experience with these could tell me which would teach me more and be more fun to take, thanks.

Welding 100: Introduction to Oxyacetylene Welding; Theory, safety procedures, and development of fundamental skills in oxyacetylene welding.
Welding is fun, and can often save you time and money when things break.

Oxyacetylene is basically heating two pieces of metal to their melting points while adding a "filler" metal into the molten area to be joined.

Go to your freezer and get two ice cubes. Place them together/touching until they start to melt into one piece. You just witnessed the theory of Oxyacetylene welding.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2004, 04:56 PM

Re: Welding

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Dan 35
Welding 101: Introduction to Arc Welding; An introduction to the process of shielded metal arc welding (SMAW) emphasizing theory and application of proper welding procedures.
Also known as "stick" or "arc" welding. You will use a flux coated stick of metal that is similar in composition to the base metal your welding. The flux will burn off during the intense heat caused by the electrical arc and high amperage used by the machine. The electricity at the "striking" point will be more than enough to flash the base metal and rod into an instant molten state. The burning flux will create a "gas shield" that will displace the air/oxygen from the immediate welding area. This is necessary to prevent oxidation of the newly welded area as the metal cools to provide a much stronger weld.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2004, 05:08 PM
Dad

That's a hard call. If you're expecting practical use from it in the workplace, you may want to take the Arc course. If you're doing from a curiousity point and maybe home hobby or background understanding of welding, the Oxy/Acetylene might be better. It is a more universal metal working tool but also harder to weld with. It will give you a nice background that you could probably apply if you were ever to try to add Arc welding skills plus it is practical for home maintenance use. Problem with any welding is it is very dependent on being in practice and that's especially true of gas welding. If you're doing it enough to stay in practice, you probably would be better off with one of the electric welding processes from an efficiency standpoint, and if not, you might still be better off with an electric set-up as they can be more forgiving in technique. Do they have a course that's more general welding practice? If not, take them both. You'll learn the differences and can then choose for yourself.

Keeping the "Hap" in "Happy Holidays"!

Regime change begins at home.

Blind patriotism is worse than no patriotism.

Last edited by Dad; 04-27-2004 at 05:11 PM.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2004, 09:34 PM

Its been a while since I welded. Actually, last time was in High School. I found that arc welding was much easier 2 pick up then the torch. Although the torch was nice if you had to cut with it though. I rememeber the first time I tried to weld. Our shop teacher was kinda dumb and didn't stress proper gear and safety to much. As I was doing my first weld a big blob or molten metal fell on my shoe. Needless to say it burnt right thru my shoe and sock and burnt the shyt out of my foot. Every one had a good laugh at me dancing around and cussing. The bastard gave me detention for a few days after he heared all the choice words coming out of my mouth.

I also have been thinking of taking a proper course as well. When you take it let us know how it went.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2004, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by phatkidwit1eye
I also have been thinking of taking a proper course as well. When you take it let us know how it went.
Will do!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2004, 09:42 PM

im not a certified metal fusologist but i do the welding on our houseboat when we bring it up on dry dock to save tons of money instead of hiring a welder. and i would take the stick welding class becase if you learn how to stick weld then MIG welding will come naturally and then aluminum welding will come after that but remember welding aluminum isnt for someone who isnt a seasoned welder. its harder to weld than steel.

if you have the means i seriously suggest that you buy a auto darkerning helmet...b/c it makes welding much much less aggrevating...hope this helped
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-28-2004, 10:12 PM

So what's the difference between Mig and Tig welding? Also do you use a gas shielding or that flux core stuff? I tried looking all over the internet for diffrent information but I just ended up getting myself really confused by all the diffrent abbreviation's for stuff.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-28-2004, 10:34 PM

well you can really cut it down to three types...
TIG = Kinda like brazing use a torch and a metal to mold two peices together using the filler to hold the gap
most difficult
Stick (SMAW) = uses a stick to weld the two peices together with a flux on the outside
medium difficulty
MIG - uses a machine with a wire feed to weld with and argon to act as the flux
easier then gluing somthing together using this method

this will help you better

http://www.millerwelds.com/education/library.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode