Trying to see what options there are. - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Trying to see what options there are.

I LOVE Cars and Motorcycles...I know everyone who is a member on this forum loves motorcycles, obviously, but for me, it's not just the riding aspect, I love the whole damn thing...just everything about motorcycles and, cars specifically. I was wondering, what kind of careers are there in the automotive industry?

I know there is the general stuff like, being a mechanic at a shop, or working at a body shop and stuff like that...but what else is there, is there anything like an automotive designer? I dont know...

I'm addicted to that show "American Chopper" I just love everything about that, how they do custom work like that. I also love watching, Car and Driver, and Horsepower TV, I would love to get into anything that would be custom or performance work on cars or motorcycles, or any designing aspects. Anyone know any careers like that? Or any schools that offer that type of training?

I've heard of UEI...but I don't know much else about them, except that they have courses for motorcycles and also nascar and stuff.

-Dan-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 12:41 PM

Re: Trying to see what options there are.

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Dan 35
I'm addicted to that show "American Chopper" I just love everything about that, how they do custom work like that. I also love watching, Car and Driver, and Horsepower TV, I would love to get into anything that would be custom or performance work on cars or motorcycles, or any designing aspects. Anyone know any careers like that? Or any schools that offer that type of training?
dan, it sounds to me like you would be very interested in restoration of classics and/or turning them into "hot rods".

you need to be in an environment outside of corporate america. restoration my friend, thats where you want to be.

SQUID=Stupidly Quick, Underdressed, & Imminently Dead

Katie has a nice "spice rack".

If you can read this, thank a teacher....If you're reading this in English, thank a Veteran.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

Re: Re: Trying to see what options there are.

Quote:
Originally posted by monkey
dan, it sounds to me like you would be very interested in restoration of classics and/or turning them into "hot rods".

you need to be in an environment outside of corporate america. restoration my friend, thats where you want to be.
Exactly! Restoring classic/muscle cars and/or turning them into hot rods....that is me! That would be perfect for me. But I don't think they have schools or training courses for someone who just wants to be a classic car restorer, do they?

And I'm sorry, I'm probably just really slow right now, but what did you mean when you said I need to be in an environment outside of "corporate america"?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 01:27 PM

Re: Re: Re: Trying to see what options there are.

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Dan 35
And I'm sorry, I'm probably just really slow right now, but what did you mean when you said I need to be in an environment outside of "corporate america"?
what i meant was that what ever you do, it needs to be on your own, not working for any dealerships, automakers (you mentioned automotive designer), etc... maybe even start visiting local body shops and mention to them that you want to learn how to do bodywork and paint and see what they say. some MAY take you on and "show you the ropes".

for restoration you really need to know how to do body work and learning engine repair is always helpful. most trade schools around here hold night classes for folks who want to learn how to do repairs and bodywork. start small, buy a couple of beaters and work on them for a while, not intending on selling them but to get practice. Tinkering and experimenting is always beneficial. nothing is better than hands on experience.

SQUID=Stupidly Quick, Underdressed, & Imminently Dead

Katie has a nice "spice rack".

If you can read this, thank a teacher....If you're reading this in English, thank a Veteran.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode