Tipping the help - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2004, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Tipping the help

now it seems that everytime you go out somewhere and people serve you (waitresses/bartenders), you are supposed to tip but why is it that everyone expects them nowadays?

TECHNICALLY i'm supposed to tip my paper carrier and mailman at Christmas? they get paid decent money to deliver so why sould i tip them. ESPECIALLY the mailman?

also, when you go to a hotel, you're supposed to tip the maid too. well what if you only stay one night? what if you stay and leave the "do not disturb" sign out. if they do nothing to my room while i'm there, why should i tip them? i'm not going to give someone money to do nothing.

next thing you know i'm going to find out that i have to tip the gas attendants and grocery store clerks. who else am i supposed to tip?

SQUID=Stupidly Quick, Underdressed, & Imminently Dead

Katie has a nice "spice rack".

If you can read this, thank a teacher....If you're reading this in English, thank a Veteran.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2004, 12:57 PM

Send a message via AIM to Tippmann Send a message via Yahoo to Tippmann
F**k that. I'm broke. The person busing my table probably makes more money a week than I do. And I work HARD at my job. How easy do you think it is to lug a 25cft refrigerator up 10 stairs in the dead of summer? Nobody tips me, I'm not tipping them for bringing me another coke when I asked for it.

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewaysducati
SWIPE THE CARD GRANDMA!!!
SWIPE THE GODDAMNED CARD!!!!
WARNING
If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all who claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think everything you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told you should want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned...... Tyler
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2004, 09:07 PM

I always tip people. Most waiter's and such dont really make that much hourly and they use your tips too make up for that. I think when people have too work at a job where most of your salary comes from tips you start too tip better. Although when I was a Bellman I used too make a killing for not really doing much. I used too get tipped like ten bucks for driving old rich people about five blocks.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2004, 04:51 AM
Strength and Honor

Tipping of maids, mail carriers (though this is TECHNICALLY illegal), and news carriers is NOT new. I was a newspaper boy for ~11 years, since around 1983, and always received holiday tips, at least; I didn't expect, nor receive weekly tips, though. Same goes for mail carriers: holiday tips only, and only if they're good (no wet letters, no misdeliveries, prompt/convenient service).

Sorry, dude, but this has been going on for a very long time. Maids get $1 per night unless I find they're doing a poor job. I've tipped up to $5 for one maid, who brought me pitchers of orange juice at night while I was out at dinner, for consumption the next morning.

Tipping is a way to motivate for extra services, and these people (mail carriers excluded) can and do get paid less than minimum wage (legal since they, theoretically, get tips).

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2004, 03:11 PM

I am a cheap bastid!!!

I always tip well when I do tip though. I never tip the mailman, or the maid. I don't get the newspaper delivered so there is no tipping there.

I do tip the waitress and the pizza delivery guy. At least 20% for the waitress (as long as she is not a total fawk up) and the pizza guy gets a buck or two and whatever change is left to round it up to an even dollar amount.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2004, 07:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to duessel
I tip for tits and box does that count

I also tip my bartenders and waitress' well. They give you the hook up then.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2004, 04:52 AM

Monkey, you're a cheap bastid!

Seacrest out!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2004, 06:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by slaintedan
Monkey, you're a cheap bastid!
actually Dan, no i'm not.

If you can read this, thank a teacher....If you're reading this in English, thank a Veteran.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2004, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by monkey
actually Dan, no i'm not.

This from the guy who steals ketchup packets from McDonalds to refill his ketchup bottle at home.

ps - aren't you the guy who started a thread about how much he hates tipping people who provide him a service?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2004, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by slaintedan
This from the guy who steals ketchup packets from McDonalds to refill his ketchup bottle at home.

ps - aren't you the guy who started a thread about how much he hates tipping people who provide him a service?
i didn't say i hated tipping. i am trying to figure out what the "proper etiqute" is.

for example, you tip a barber, waitstaff, bartender, etc...no problem. their wage is based on them getting tips.

i have family in the mail service and they make DAMN good money for delivering mail ($20 per hour +). its their job, its not considered a "service". same with UPS and FEDEX folks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode