The Fearful-Manipulated - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Tippmann Send a message via Yahoo to Tippmann
The Fearful-Manipulated

A friend of mine wrote this for his creative writing class. The professor gave him an F because she said "it wasn't funny".

Sometime in the unnamed future, our self-destructive argumentative nature has scorched our world with nuclear fire and crippled the world with manufactured viruses – we wiped out 95% of our population because of our pride and inability to accommodate the conflicting views that we as humans inherently have. Few humans survive and those who do will probably die in a few years unless ironically they are wicked and selfish – Darwin’s law is again cast in a prominent role in this reset world.

The Group Zero weapons scientists who ironically helped design and implement the bombs and virus are amongst the few who survive, again the guilty are left unpunished while the innocent are drowned in their wake. They have their protective suits and underground lairs, but food supplies are running low and they must either risk death through emergence to the surface or live a guaranteed demise with dwindling supplies. When faced with such bleak odds, the human mind always clings to the straw in the ocean…and they emerge to the surface. It is a bleak landscape, ice touches everything, its enough to make men go insane and they do.

Months later, the scientists have split up, they have found refuge in numerous parts of the reset world, pockets of humanity have survived, but they are diseased and dying, the Group Zero scientists become the puppet masters and the Fearful-Manipulated emerge.

The Fearful-Manipulated are pockets of humans who have somehow suffered mass cases of amnesia, they don’t remember what happened before, or how they got to where they are – so they become the manipulated by those who still have their memories in check. The former lead weapons scientist Kain has stumbled upon one of these amnesiac groups and has created a complex fiction based on the Bible readings, which he calls Precursor-Text, telling the Manipulated that the second coming of Jesus is soon and that salvation is within their grasp from this decrepit and dying world. He turns them into the Fearful-Manipulated by driving them with one of our most powerful emotions – Fear: fear of the agents of the Devils who would seek to jeopardise their salvation. He tells them of his former brothers, who are plotting against them, because they are the chosen ones – with full consent, the Manipulated become fearful and submit their bodies to the will of Kain. They become bio-mechanically enhanced and they seek to protect their tribe and strike down upon those who wish to take away their freedom.

Years have passed and the Fearful-Manipulated grow restless and discontent, they begin to read the Precursor-Context in a bid to find out the truth of what Kain has told them. They are not happy.

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewaysducati
SWIPE THE CARD GRANDMA!!!
SWIPE THE GODDAMNED CARD!!!!
WARNING
If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all who claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think everything you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told you should want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned...... Tyler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 06:17 PM

Sounds like your friend should walk up to that professor and say 'you need to get laid.'

Is this for college? If so, your friend needs to enlighten the professor as to the purpose of college and that is to expand intellectual horizons and open one's mind. Sounds like she is pretty closed-minded.

If this is high school, you're fucked. That's what I never liked about high school: the English teachers lived in a tiny, fragile, ultra-conservative glass house where only their worldviews and opinions were relevant and time-concerning. It was such a crappy deal.

If this is high school, I actually got in trouble for writing a paper on something pretty cold that I had witnessed and her comments were that it was 'totally unrealy' and 'completely false.' I asked her after class: "Why did I get an F?" She told me why and I asked her "Do you know me? No? You have no idea what I have seen." She knew I wasn't kidding. If anything I was pissed to have written it, if it was going to get chastised like that.

Your friend wrote a good piece. A bit morbid and bleak, but that's their view and their mindset at the time they wrote it.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by wheelie123
Sounds like your friend should walk up to that professor and say 'you need to get laid.'
It was for a college class with a female professor. I know what you mean though, nothing he can do.

Quote:
WARNING
If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all who claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think everything you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told you should want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned...... Tyler

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 06:46 PM

Me personally I would approach the teacher and ask how I could get an F if I followed the assignment. If he didn't then that's his fault. I always came at things from the angle of I'm trying to keep my average and need the grade. Man, trying to recoup from an F is almost impossible in most classes. Either that teacher has it out for your buddy or she's forgotten why she's a college professor.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 07:25 PM

The last sentence makes the essay.

"they are not happy" hehe
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 05:37 AM

i can't say i found it funny. was it supposed to be?

SQUID=Stupidly Quick, Underdressed, & Imminently Dead

Katie has a nice "spice rack".

If you can read this, thank a teacher....If you're reading this in English, thank a Veteran.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 05:58 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
Quote:
Originally posted by monkey
i can't say i found it funny. was it supposed to be?
+1

What was the assignment? Was it humor? Fiction? Was he banging her and stopped and she's retaliating?

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 06:59 AM Thread Starter

From what I got out of it, they don't get assignments to be "funny" in this class. The don't get assignments to be anything really. It's just creative writing. It was supposed to use some kind of literary style or something, which he said he used. I did get a look at his paper last night, and the prof wrote on it...

"in this age of fear and terrorism, it is not appropriate for you to make an attempt to express your political views. This is neither the time, nor the venue"

Quote:
WARNING
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tippmann
"in this age of fear and terrorism, it is not appropriate for you to make an attempt to express your political views. This is neither the time, nor the venue"
that is solely her opinion. i'd take it to the dean. if he did the assignment as instructed, she can't fail him for not personally liking his topic. she has to grade according to how the assignment was done.

SQUID=Stupidly Quick, Underdressed, & Imminently Dead

Katie has a nice "spice rack".

If you can read this, thank a teacher....If you're reading this in English, thank a Veteran.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 07:02 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
Quote:
Originally posted by monkey
that is solely her opinion. i'd take it to the dean.
+1

That's twice in the same day and in the same thread, perhaps the apocalypse your friend wrote about is coming sooner than we thought.....

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode