FZR -Money Pit- Not Again - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-22-2000, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Man, I'm pissed off!

5 months ago I bought a used 94 FZR 1000 from a used bike shop here in the Dallas area.This is my second bike.It looked pretty good and sounded even better. Some light body damage indicated it had been down at least once. nothing to bad.
First thing it needed...tires....got the tires. Dunlop207's all the way around. The mechanic said the motor felt a little weak under 5K and that I might want get it checked out. O.K. probably somethin simple, carb adjust or maybe rebuild. - NOPE!- needs a whole new top end rebuild.---$1700. (that hurt)

Then, Brakes... The rear was toast, had to do those first. Front...not yet.

Then, the speedo quit working and I had to fix that.

Then, the rear shock crapped out. Had to replace that.

It needed a chain and sprockets. Did that.

There is something wrong in the front shocks or the steering head right now that I haven't found out what exactly it is yet. Expenive? . . probably

It needs a new windscreen, a left body panel, a new slip-on-- I need a tankbag, riding boots,riding pants,a back protector, I have a leather jacket but I really need a new one,... raingear, front and rear wheelstands,the list goes on and on and on. To top it all off (for now) I went out today to wipe her down and what does she give me in return? ............. Fork Oil.....DAMMIT!! a blown fork seal!

What the hell is next? My wife is starting to yell SELL!, but if I do it will be a long time before I can ride again because we need a second car, which is why I ride everyday, everywhere.

I've talked her/us into saving up for a piece-o-crap car so I don't have to ride in bad weather, but this damn bike is costing me a fortune just to keep it on the road.

Everytime I get enough cash set aside to buy some riding gear.or any of the other stuff on the list Something mechanical comes along and ssssssucks it up.

I had to convince my wife several years back that riding a bike was more economical than a car, well, she's makin a damn liar out of me.

Is this normal to have this many problems with a used bike or did I just buy a used up piece of shit that is going to continuously give me problems?
What's a guy to do?

signed, Disgusted in Dallas
------------------
Dave
94 FZR1

"Some people just never catch a break"

[This message has been edited by ratsalad (edited July 22, 2000).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-22-2000, 01:30 PM

Dude, if the bike is paid off, sell it and us that money for the downpayment on a new bike. Up keep on the bike is costing you more then a new bike would. I understand that you need a second car but like I said sell the FZR and use that money for the down, and don't trade it in, make the bike presentable and sell it on the street, I'm not saying rip someone off tell them the bike is having problems AND SELL THAT PIECE before you go broke. Just my 2cents

------------------
Tony
00 CBR 929rr
95 Camaro Z28
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-22-2000, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Oh Yeah.... My wife and I got into some financial problems about 3 years back and we had to file the B-word. So I have a VERY hard time getting financed.

I didn't want to buy used in the first place but nobody would touch me. Especially for a sportbike. I was originally looking at a 98 ZX-9 for $7K and only needed to finance 2 grand. 5grand cash on the table. Nope wouldn't touch it. I'm f**ed, branded a bad risk for life. I'm really not a bad person(sobbing)

------------------
Dave
94 FZR1

"That ain't the way we do things round here boy"

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-22-2000, 02:15 PM

ratsalad, that sucks and I now your not a bad person, it's just those fu$$ing credit institutions don't look at the person they just see the credit bureau reports. Do what you can, I know that I can't go without riding its just too damn fun.

------------------
Tony
00 CBR 929rr
95 Camaro Z28
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-22-2000, 02:20 PM

There are only so many things to fix on a bike. Sounds to me like youve got most of them tackled. There will be a point where the fixing will begin to diminish as you reach used bike nirvana. Keep your chin up and before long the bike will be all squared away.

Or you could sell it and be without a bike...

Hmmmmm... tough choices are what make life interesting

------------------
Fear Green.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-24-2000, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

Talking

-FOR SALE-
1994 FZR 1000
New engine,rear shock,chain,sprockets,runs great,NEVER been down (what scratches?) NEVER had ANY problems whatsoever Perfect Condition. Paid $5K will sell for $6K Don't let this one get away, it's a keeper Call anytime.

------------------
Dave
94 FZR1

"That ain't the way we do things round here boy"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode