FRICKIN' JUNK EMAIL! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2000, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

Angry

Ok Pete, its my turn to rant a bit

I keep getting ALOT of junk email lately. One of them has the suject: "Ok, Ill bite". I have gotten that a couple dozen times! Now Im getting a fricking "blue man" and "The 7 year old girl with cancer who gets .07 cents for every name on the list from make a wish foundation"!! Im sure Make a Wish doesnt play that stupid crap and it pisses me off that some idiot is using the name of an incredible foundation to bouy their idiotic fun. BTW, what is the fun of sending chain mail??

Secondly, I KNOW these emails are coming from a person or persons on this forum, so, I kindly request that you CUT THAT SHIT OUT! I NEVER send or forward chain letter crap so please take me off your list!

------------------
Kyle J.-
email:[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2000, 08:25 PM

The Rules of posting to the forums, also apply to the email system.

Please note that advertisements for other websites, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and solicitations are inappropriate anywhere (to include user signatures, and profiles) in the Sportbike World Forum.

Personally I can't stand chain letters either. I doubt that many people here do. If you are identified as a sender of junk email such as this, particularly unsolicited email, proper action will be taken against your account.

Also please note that while it is not law yet, it is expected that the anti-spam bill that passed the House this past week (House voting count: For:427 Against:1) will likely be ratified for the coming year.

This will allow ISP's greater legal power to combat junk email senders. This bill will also require that senders must provide a valid return address so that receivers can request to be removed.

I know...so who's gonna enforce it?
Well it will behove the ISP's to enforce an anti-spam policy as their users will know that they have to tools to combat this (if this bill passes). As is the American way, money talks, so when ISP's don't do something about it, and their user base falls off, hopefully they'll figure it out.

In the meantime, if you have a mail client that you can run "rules" or an Inbox assistant on, use that to move those messages to the trash.. If you're using Sportbikeworld.com email, like me, I guess we'll just have to keep using that delete button.

Sorry if this is rambling, but I thought someone might be interested in this.

HEre's the link to the MSNBC story that covers this law a little more: http://www.msnbc.com/news/434671.asp?0nm=T20D

And a link the story at yahoo http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/cn/20000718/tc/house_approves_anti-spam_legislation_1.html
Will

------------------
Will Darton
Sportbikeworld Co-Admin
http://azsportbike.net
99ZX-6e

[This message has been edited by RedNinja (edited July 20, 2000).]

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2000, 08:31 PM

This is one of the reasons i got so miffed at the chainletter that was posted on the forums.. riverrunner i hear ya..thats why i really have zero tolerance and no mercy for people who send those (or post them)..i had had enough of it all about 2 years ago....

------------------
Fear Green.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2000, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Cool Will! I didnt know about 427-1. Hopefully that will help.

------------------
Kyle J.-
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2000, 08:47 PM

I didn't want to confuse anyone. the 427-1 was the vote count in the House that got the bill passed.
The bill name is:
Unsolicited Commercial Electronic Mail Act of 2000
The Bill number is H.R. 3113

Will

------------------
Will Darton
Sportbikeworld Co-Admin
http://azsportbike.net
99ZX-6e
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2000, 08:53 PM
Pete

Angry

Do I smell a rat on SBW? Or is it just coincidence that both Kyle and Scott are having similar problems at the same time?

------------------
Pete
"Ultimately, most problems can be solved by applying a large brick to the correct skull. Difficulties arise when you don't have a brick or can't find the the right skull. The Devil is always in the details."
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2000, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

Wink

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RedNinja:
I didn't want to confuse anyone. the 427-1 was the vote count in the House that got the bill passed.
The bill name is:
Unsolicited Commercial Electronic Mail Act of 2000
The Bill number is H.R. 3113

Will

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ya, thats what I meant! Im up on my politics!

------------------
Kyle J.-
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2000, 09:45 AM
Pete

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by riverrunner_2000:

Im up on my politics!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And down on your smarts.

------------------
Pete
"Ultimately, most problems can be solved by applying a large brick to the correct skull. Difficulties arise when you don't have a brick or can't find the the right skull. The Devil is always in the details."
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2000, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Pete, I finally get to use the smilie that was made for you! :

------------------
Kyle J.-

"Reflect upon your present blessings, of which every man has many -- not on your past misfortunes, of which all men have some."
-- Charles Dickens
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2000, 11:53 AM

Talking

good one Kyle!!!!
that smiley is THE funniest that i have seen so far!!

-----------
arif
'99 F4 (stolen)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode