Warning to all - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-06-2000, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

The following is long but is important. It appears to be authentic. I got the letter from www.insanespeed.com.

My name is Captain Abraham Sands of the Jacksonville, Florida Police Department. I have been asked by state and local authorities to write this email in order to get the work out to car drivers of a very dangerous prank that is occurring in numerous states.

Some person or persons have been affixing hypodermic needles to the underside of gas pump handles. These needles appear to be infected with HIV positive blood. In the Jacksonville area alone there have been 17 cases of people being stuck by these needles over the past 5 months. We have verified reports of at least 12 others in various states around the contry. It is believed that these may be copycat incidents due to someone reading about the crimes or seeing them reported on the television. At this point no one has been arrested and catching the perpetrator(s) has become our top priority.

Shockingly, of the 17 people who where stuck, 8 have thested HIV positive and because of the nature of the disease, the others could test positive in a couple years. Evidently the consumers go to fill their car with gas, and when picking up the pump handle get stuck with the infected needle.

IT IS IMPERATIVE TO CAREFULLY CHECK THE HANDLE of the gas pmp each time you use one. LOOK AT EVERY SURFACE YOUR HAND MAY TOUCH, INCLUDING UNDER THE HANDLE. If you do find a needle affixed to one, immediately contact your local police department so they can collect the evidence. PLEASE HELP US BY MAINTAINING VIGILANCE AND BY FORWARDING THIS EMAIL TO ANYONE YOU KNOW WHO DRIVES. THE MORE PEOPLE WHO KNOW OF THIS THE BETTER PROTECTED WE CAN ALL BE.

------------------
Ride Hard!

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-06-2000, 03:35 PM
Pete

As much of an urband legend as the dirty needles in theater seats, or the rat-dog that ate the lady's cat, or the kidney thieves. Sorry John.

------------------
Pete
"Ultimately, most problems can be solved by applying a large brick to the correct skull. Difficulties arise when you don't have a brick or can't find the the right skull. The Devil is always in the details."
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-06-2000, 05:03 PM

Thumbs down

not to mention the poison on pay phones and the ball of tinfoil with gas soaked rag tossed into unsuspecting cars to set the driver ablaze..

PLEASE!!!!

I am by NO means an admin here but may i suggest that certain guidelines be established on SBW to hold its members to a standard of NOT posting/spreading urban legend CHAINLETTERS or silly joke emails reposted on the forums.

SBW is about Sportbikes, cant we try to keep it there. If i want to read warnings and rumors about silly social terrorism scares and random joke fwds i can go to a zillion places on the web.

I like to think of SBW as a safe refuge from this, but maybe that is now lost.

------------------
Fear Green.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-06-2000, 08:09 PM

Hondas, particularly 900rr's, SUCK!

------------------
Ride Fast - Take Chances
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-07-2000, 12:43 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
to me, the scariest things about urban legends is that there people out there who'd make them urban realities.

------------------
Tony

the views and opinions expressed by tony (cbrf2boy) are the ramblings of a total idiot. sbw.com, it's administrators, moderators, and members don't necessarily agree with and are not responsible for anything this idiot has to say.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-07-2000, 01:01 AM

Obvisouly an urban legand....but if you ever hear about HIV contaminated anything set out as a trap - its not true - no need to panic. The virus is very fragile and only survives a few minutes at best outside the body. Hepatitus C survives the longest at about 23 minutes. I'm not infected with any of them but have a strong background in occupational safety and health.

Hope this will make people less alarmed about those chain-mail reports.

------------------
Dave

600 Bandit
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-07-2000, 02:41 AM Thread Starter

This is the Captain speaking. The Kick John's Ass Express has reached its final destination... GreenNinja can leave over the port bow.

It is the Chat forum GN, you know the one for non bike related discussions.

I seriously thought about sending this to Will and Robert first. Damn I should have because you guys are mean-- just down right mean.

Pete at least injected(pardon the pun) humor in his slam.

Dave thanks for the info., my wife is out of town so I couldn't get her input. They keep up to date with this crap in the Emer. Room.

I am a Health and Safety Manager but we don't deal with Bloode Borne pathogens. I use consultants for that... are you busy the next couple of days.

------------------
Ride Hard!

John
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-07-2000, 03:14 AM Thread Starter

GreenNinja,

I just thought of it. His name is Dale Quarterly(sp). Guy was an animal at Loudon. Thought I was never going to think of that.

------------------
Ride Hard!

John
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-07-2000, 03:33 AM

Talking

hey folks,
There is no set policy on posting these kinds of things, mainly because if you start making a bunch of rules it gets harder for the moderators to do their jobs, because they have to check a bunch of rules.

Obviously if this starts getting out of hand then we'll add something to the Posting Guidelines about urban legends and the like.

Just use your best judgement. If it sounds weird or you aren't sure:
1. check www.urbanlegends.com
2. ask someone else before posted (via email)

If you guys think it should be made into a policy, let the moderators know and they can forward it on to me (I get enough email )

Thanks
WIll

------------------
Will Darton
Sportbikeworld Co-Admin
http://azsportbike.net
99ZX-6e
"Losers always whine about their best, winners go home and f**k the prom queen!" - Sean Connery

[This message has been edited by RedNinja (edited July 07, 2000).]
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-07-2000, 03:41 AM
Pete

GreenNinja, no flame intended here, but as the description of this forum reads, it is for non-sportbike related topics. No one is forcing you to open this forum and read its contents. Think of all the SBW forums except this one as your "safe haven".

------------------
Pete
"Ultimately, most problems can be solved by applying a large brick to the correct skull. Difficulties arise when you don't have a brick or can't find the the right skull. The Devil is always in the details."

[This message has been edited by Pete (edited July 07, 2000).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode