I Almost Died, I Hate Deer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-05-2002, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

I Almost Died, I Hate Deer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi its me Taran.
Today me and my friend "thebug" went riding. He was on his custom 92 F2 and I was on my 97 zx-6r which I just bought saturday. We were riding with his dad (2000 929) and his uncle (2001 blackbird) and we were riding up my lake millacs in northern minnesota. We were doind about 55 on country roads when thebug starts to slow down (he was in front fo me), So i slow down thinkin that maybe he saw a deer, but i cant see anything so I keep riding when all of the sudden a deer lunges infront of me out of nowhere. It was at least 2 inches from my windscreen in the air cause it was jumping onto me. I locked up the back tire and skidded 15 feet and the deer missed me by an inch tumbling head over tail into the ditch then running away dazed. I took a good strip of my rear tire off and now i need a new one. I attached pics of the 15 foot skid mark next to my friends dads 929. What do you all think, deer suck dont they!!!! Taran.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-05-2002, 09:24 PM

Ok, first all................DAMN its nice to see a Minnesota Bike Plate again! I just moved to Ft. Lauderdale from Mpls in May and I miss MN already!

About the deer incident. I fear the day that a deer runs in front of me...it can be scary. But, why did you go for the back brake? The front has WAY more stopping power. I rarely use my rear brake. I don't know if it would have made a difference in hitting or not hitting the deer, but you never know next time could be more serious. Use more front brake next time.

Your rear tire doesn't look like it was all to good to start out. It looks like a Bridgestone Battleaxe, which if it is, is one of the worst tires you can bike for your bike. Do you and your bike a favor and try out some Dunlop 208 ZRs. They are quite possibly the best tires you can buy for your sportbike.

Don't mean to be negative to you, but I'm just looking out for you so the next time you're better prepared.....

Riding season is just about over in MN isn't it? Or are you the type that rides until it snows? That was me...riding in Nov. Then putting the bike away for good when the first snow came.

I miss the curved road's of MN. Florida has very little in the way of twisties!!! Bummer, but you can ride in Jan. Actually, a little known fact: No one rides in the Summer down here, only in the Winter(starting in Oct). Bet you didn't know that........

Have fun riding......Ride Hard, Ride Safe!

Goose
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-05-2002, 09:29 PM

I forgot to add:

It's not such a good idea to post a pic of your license plate online. In case you're one of those guys that would tend to run away from Police after giving chase. Not that you are that rider. Just a thought, I wouldn't do it myself. Most people BLUR out their plates when accidently including it in a pic.

Just a thought, take it or leave it.....you choose.

Goose

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-05-2002, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the post.
To address the braking issue...the bike was leaning forward hardcore when I stopped, I think that I used a lot of front brake too, just too much rear too fast. I totally spaced out the plate thing, oh well I don't plan on meeting any cops soon. And I would ride untill it snows but the bike is 90 miles away at my friends garage and I am at the U of M. Florida would be cool but minnesota has the leaves this time and riding is so pretty. Especially when I go home, home to duluth. The north shore of lake superior is great. Anyways later, Taran
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-05-2002, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Here is another pic of my bike, its a 1997 zx-6r with 8400 miles and a full muzzy. I got it for $3,000 from a guy who needed money for a new house. So its no big deal for me to spend a little money for tires. Ill consider the ones you suggested. Taran
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-05-2002, 10:18 PM

Taran,

Very nice looking bike! Hope you have a couple more rides before old man winter hits!

Go Gophers! I am a HUGE gopher basketball fan. I followed them to every NCAA game in 1997 when they went to the Final Four. Wow, those are cool memories. Plus, a good friend of mine....his brother is going to be playing for the Gophs this year. Aleoo Kane is his name.

Here is a pic of my beloved bike:
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-05-2002, 10:26 PM

One more thing Taran.

If you want more braking power, look into buying "braided brake lines", it dramatically improves your bike's stopping power. I put them on my R6 and I could stop on a dime! And when I race, I can late brake anyone into a corner....I just wait til the last possible moment then grab a handful of brake(front only).

Here is a link to their website:

http://www.goodridge.net/usdistributors_mc.html

Goose
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-06-2002, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

I went to highschool with rick rickart who is only spending one last year here at the U. He is going pro next year. Yea I am looking at buying and installing new tires and braided brake lines this winter. Maybe also a new screen and custom gauge faces. Thanks for the tips. Taran
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-06-2002, 07:25 PM

Lucky --- lucky.

As least in your area you have a chance of seeing the deer. In my mountain area the pine forest comes right down to the road & deer often simply splatter to 'ell.
I am going by your photo as that is a LOT of space off to each side compared to where I live & ride.
Your r/tyre should have been replaced some thousand miles ago. Just lucky the rear did not blow on you under a normal ride. Not to be critical, but I usually garbage my tyres well before they come to the stage your tyre was in the photo. Just a word of advise from someone that has been riding 50+ yrs.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-06-2002, 07:34 PM

Taran,

If you DO buy a rear Dunlop 208 ZR, PLEASE buy the front too at the same time. I would hate to think of you riding out there with a Battleaxe front and sweet 208 Dunlop rear. Then you might wash out the front tire in a corner, skiding away from a deer.

Always replace in pairs.

Goose
p.s. Rick Rickert is one of the best b-ball players in college. I hope he stays 4 years, we might win an NCAA championship if he does. Monson has got some really good talent to compliment Rickert now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode