Need help convinceing my friend... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Need help convinceing my friend...

not to die.

He's had his MC endorsement for about 6 months now, he's had some late 80s early 90s honda 250 dual sport for over a year. Now he wants a sportbike. I'm all thinking, sweet, someday if he moves to AZ with me then i'll have a riding budy i've known since 6th grade.

but first, a little background on him.

In the first few weeks that he owned that bike he broke the right mirror, hit his uncles truck, broke some protection plate under the motor, and managed to grind off some of the pegs from crashing and cornering (mostly crashing). He is an idiot. When i used to live in WA, we would go dirtbiking. he had his bike, and i had my yamaha 225. we'd climb some gnarly ass hills, and me, being lighter than him would make it to the top while his 240lb ass would go crashing down. he would keep trying, and keep crashing, he has no fear.

he wants to buy a gixxer1k. not just any liter bike, nooo, he needs the suzuki. he says that he needs the extra power because he weighs more. I tell him, BS, with my GF and I on my little 600 it still hauls ass, am I more reserved (i have less balls/more brains) then him. but he won't listen to me, or anyone. He said (completely, completely, not joking) that the first thing he was going to do when he got the bike was find a straight stretch of road and go as fast as he possibly could. he then went on to talk about how he wants a used 2k1 or 2k2 gixxer with 1-2k miles, because (quote) "I know there is no way i oculd stand to break in an engine, i mean, when i get a bike i am going to go balls out everywhere i go."

I know he's not joking. This is the first time I have actually feared for one of my buddy's lives. WTF can i say to him to get his attention? because i know that he will get his gixxer (his mom doesn't care) and he will use that motor's power, and he will crash and be severely hurt, or die.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 07:29 PM

I'm sure you've given great advice to him already. It sounds like you're concerned. Now it is time to sit back and watch what happens. I know that sounds cold, but the reality is that he is going to make his choices and live (or not) with the outcome. Unless you tie him down, give him a lobotomy or pull some freaky CIA style brainwashing, you've done all you can. Not very reassuring, I know, but it's life.

It doesn't have to be fun to be "fun".
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 07:56 PM

just find some video clips of people being stupid and crashing. maybe then he'll be able to visualize a crash at 60mph +. There are some pic floating around on the site that have a nice reminder of what "not wearing gear" will do to one's skin.

Tell him he's a dumbass, and he'll die if he rides with his balls (or is he trying to make up for some shortcoming?) instead of his brains (or lack thereof).

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 08:07 PM

Make sure he gets good gear and send him on a track day.
Maybe he'll only bin it at the track where he's got some run off to help soften the blow.
I'm sure once he samples the power of the GSXR he'll learn some respect.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2002, 08:17 PM

Try and guide him as best you can.

He is going to do exactly what he wants to do...no matter what
Try damage control. He is your friend and will listen to you as long as you present yourself in a supportive manner. He wants to go 190 mph...so be it. Ride with him out to a clean long straight with no debris or dangerous obstacles and make sure you have a cell phone with the ambulance service on speed dial Don't forget the first aid kit in the back pack. I know that this sounds cold, but I have thought about your situation and put myself in your shoes. If...If he survives, then you can say "I told you." on the way to the hospital. When he comes out of traction, 6mos-1yr, then he will realize that he is NOT 10' tall and bullet proof. I was a knuckle head like your friend when I was younger and had to learn the hard way. I have a feeling that he will be the same way. Do not blame yourself for anything that happens to your friend, and think there was something else that you could have done to stop him. No you cannot knock him out with a bat and lock him in the basement until he comes to his senses

Encourage the helmet and leathers. He won't be 240 very long drinking through a straw for eight weeks

Last edited by maley2000; 09-05-2002 at 08:20 PM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-08-2002, 12:45 PM

Angry

Show him.......

This Link

That goes for any new rider (or old rider that has grown complacent)

Have fun!

Dan
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-08-2002, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Javahed
Show him.......

This Link

That goes for any new rider (or old rider that has grown complacent)

Have fun!

Dan
HoLY @#[email protected]%!!!!#$ GOLL DAMN!! I'M gonna go kiss my leathers right now!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-08-2002, 02:49 PM

Javahed,

That's some sick shi#@[email protected][email protected]#$#@! Interestingly enough,
I recently just bought a nice pair of Daines P103 leather pants.
Prior to this, I've only owned and primarily rode w/ a Vanson leather jacket and jeans. My main motivation was due to the fact that I plan on start to riding knee draggin' style. Of course, I always new leathers afforded the better protection. In fact, the couple times I took my CBR F4 for track day, we were required to double up on the jeans if we didn't have leathers. I've been told, CA is a bit more stringent; if you don't have a one piece leather, than the two piece must be able to attach itself as one via zipper. I guess I will eventually have to purchase a Dainese jacket to match the pants I just got; Unfortunately, my Vanson won't suit. Anyway, I must also confess that although I am very vehement as most people here are about wearing protective gear, I don't always. The occassions I don't are when I take my bike for a little spin to get all the water out after a wash. After seeing those pictures, I think I will make it a practice to wear protective give everytime. You can't predict. But, I do have contempt for people who don't wear the proper gear. Even for people who wear tennis shoes, etc. There are moving parts on a bike and if a shoe string were to get loose, who knows. This reminds me of something I saw on television where a woman lost her who hair, including the scalp. Her whole scalp and hair were literally ripped off in an industrial accident when it got caught on a machinery. Well, I'm just thinking this is an accident waiting to happen on guys who decide to wear shoes w/ shoe laces. Can we say over the ankle? That's why the MSF course insists on over the ankle boots. I think the pictures w/ what happened in one of the pictures is sobering enough. Guys, it took some strength to just look at the horrible pictures; could you imagine what the pain must have felt like??? When I got my first bike, a 96 CBR 600 F3, I've ahem... tested it on a straight away. I was lucky I didnt' have an accident. I, now realize how fortunate I was. Anyway, as a sportrider, fast straight aways don't impressive me. although, it's nice to feel the high speeds, but it's really cornering that is where it's at. Any bloody idiot can go hundreds of miles per hour on a straight away. Take it easy; especially if you're starting out.

Viocurse,

You are indeed his friend and he's lucky to have you as his friend. Your concern and assessment of his sounds right on. From the amount of accidents you've described and his attitude, I think you have him pegged right as an idiot. Riding in the dirt and on the street are two different animals. Dirt bikes are meant to take a far more abuse than street bikes. In fact, at least on a dirt track you don't have to deal w/ obstacles like street riders do, i.e., cars, debris, etc. I hope you show him those pictures. And if that doesn't deter him, at least I hope he wears the proper gear like someone here advised. I don't have anything against doing extreme stuff, hell, I love stunting. It's being aware of the dangers and risk. Do it properly, having given much thought. I suppose if he's determined, like most of our loved ones were against us riding bikes, he's going to do it. Just have him think it through first prior to doing anything extreme. Try to visualize doing it and the possible outcomes and how you might deal w/ it. His life is riding on it!

p.s. You mention he's had a MC endorsement for 6 months... something tells me he probably didn't take the MSF course. And if he did, at least not for the right reasons, i.e., to learn earnestly about riding responsibly as opposed to it being counted as a discount on insurance, etc. All in all, ultimately, you've pretty done all you can w/ regards to detering him by showing him your concern and expressing how you felt. He's an adult? Every adult have to make their own decisions. Life is about making decisions. I just hope he makes the right ones. Good luck.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-08-2002, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

OMG thats f-ing gross. I fit in the catagory of "shopping list of excuses" for not wearing my gear because of this damn pheonix heat. today the temp was only a high of like 95 (i think) so i wore my gear, then i got home and read the boards! (YUK!) After seeing these pics, guess what i'll be wearing every day for the rest of my life? even when i WALK across the street to get my mail! haha.

Back to devin. He got his endorsement when he was still 17, so by law, he had to take the MSF class. (not sure about laws elsewhere, but in washington your required to, or atleast i was forced to by them, if your under 18). he's 18 now and i am almost 19. luckly he doesn't have enough money right now to get a bike, and summer is ending for him so it will be next spring b4 he gets it (i hope). i send him a link to that... damn, makes me want to puke my dinner up. especialy the ankle one!

How much will a good set of full boots run me? I supose i could go and just look for myself, (which i prolly will) but I am just curious. All i am wearing now is my Lakai skate shoes (my only shoes, i'm a guy), but i was planning on buying boots anyways because firebird raceway requires them to run times, i just didn't have the money until now, yay payday! these pics will get me off my ass and ordering off the net right away. they've served there purpose.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-08-2002, 06:49 PM

Try www.newenough.com

I'm guessing that 150-200 will get you some serious boots. Maybe less, I haven't checked their prices lately. I have some Alpinestars that have seen me through 2 good get offs and are still in great protective shape. For serious playing I'd use those. For every day stuff I use old military boots or Dr. Martins. Anything that covers the ankle will help. The armor and bracing of race boots will DEFINITELY help if you do go down but I find they don't fit under jeans too well for every day shite.

Good luck with your friend, all I can say is be there to call for the heli and don't blame yourself if it goes badly, it's his own damn fault.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode