Tips for selling on eBay - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-03-2002, 07:21 AM Thread Starter

Question Tips for selling on eBay

I've never sold anything on eBay before but im planning on putting my mustang up sor sale on there. I have alot of pics, documentation, etc... I scanned thru the ads on ebay today and my car would be competitivly priced. However, im dishing out $80 to sell it and what if it doesnt sell? The local newspaper is asking rediculous prices for classified ads but there is always auto-trader.

Any tips for me?

Last edited by Kyle; 07-03-2002 at 07:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-03-2002, 09:08 AM

I was going to make a remark about your other post, but then I went and read it all the way through. Sorry that the deal fell through. I have only bought, not sold any thing on Ebay, so I'm no help, but I would suggest sending a PM to Hondanut if he doesn't see this post. I know he has experience with Ebay sales. I've bought a few items from him.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-03-2002, 09:58 AM

1. You get your money back for the seller's fees if the item doesn't sell, so don't worry about that.

2. Even if it costs you a little more, list all the pictures you can, because most people look at pictures before reading the item description.

3. State up front EVERYTHING that is expected of the buyer. Tell them if you will deliver the car any distance, tell them if it's up to them to come get it, tell them if you want the money within 10 days of auction close, tell them if you require a 10% deposit within 3 days of auction close...tell them EVERYTHING that you expect them to do after the sale is done.

4. As soon as your auction is over, e-mail the buyer and congradulate them on winning. If you have elected to accept payment when the buyer picks the vehicle up, ask them when they will be able to pick it up, if they will be taking it with them when they pay, etc...

5. In the auction, be VERY specific about what you list in your description. If the car has headers on it, give the name brand and the model number if possible. If it has a Flowmaster exhaust, give the model number. If it has new cams, tell what kind of cams. If it has a tricky door lock or something like that, LIST IT. List ANYTHING that you possibly can think of about the car, it's condition, and it's history. If you start getting bunches of questions from buyers about the same thing that you forgot to list in the auction, go ADD it to your listing so that they don't keep asking you the same things over and over again. Being thorough in your listing is important for two reasons. A.) It lets the buyers know that you are seriously interested in selling the vehicle and you want them to know EVERYTHING about it before they bid and B.) It could save you trouble down the road because if the car has a bad lifter (or something wrong with it) and you don't list it then the engine blows up 3 weeks later you're gonna have the buyer harassing you about it.

6. I would suggest putting in your auction that "All Sales Are Final" and there are "No Refunds-Car Is Sold AS-IS" That will save you from any trouble you might run into also.

7. List in the auction that you will not accept bids from people with negative feedback, and that buyers with "0" feedback should contact you by e-mail before bidding. This will save you from idiots that create screen names just to be dead beat bidders. I guess they must think it's "cool" to show their friends that they bid $30,000 on an item then never bought it. People that have negative feedback ratings aren't worth dealing with at all. If the first few auctions they have been involved in all turned out bad, it's obviously them and not the sellers that had a problem, so avoid them at all costs.

The biggest thing is going to be make sure that you are thorough in your description.

I've sold about 50 things on Ebay with only 1 problem in all those experiences, and even that didn't matter because the second highest bidder bought the item when the high bidder turned out to be a dead-beat.

Good luck bro!!

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-03-2002, 11:00 AM

Thumbs up

Well, Jeff summed it up very well. I have had only one bad experience also with many many totally smooth successes.

Only one thing to add to Jeffs' list: Answer email questions professionaly, specifically and promptly. This will instill confidence in the bidder.

Hey, check out my stuff for sale

http://cgi6.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...page=1&rows=25!&
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-03-2002, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Wow... thank you for all the feedback. I will be listing it later today. Im keeping my fingers crossed though, seems like I have a cloud of bad luck over me lately.

Now about pricing... I was going to let it go for $4500 to the guy who dicked me over. I was going to set my reserve at that and open the bid around $3800 - 4000. What do you think? And also the buy it now option, good or bad?

Thanks again.

Last edited by Kyle; 07-03-2002 at 11:14 AM.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-03-2002, 11:28 AM

Set the reserve at the ABSOLUTE lowest price that you will take for the car. If $4500 is the lowest you would ever take, set the reserve at that and then start the bidding about $1000 less than that. One thing that's cool about the reserve auctions, even if the bid only gets to like $4200 bucks and the reserve is $4500, then you can e-mail the highest bidder and tell them your reserve, then see if they will pay that much. If they don't want to, ask them to make you a counter offer, and even if you were set on $4500 bucks, if they offer $4350 you could still take that if you wanted to.

I personally don't list an auction WITHOUT the Buy it Now option. I like that ALOT. It allows people to get past all the BS of getting outbid and stuff and just BUY what they want.

You could set the Buy It Now at what you were originally WANTING for the car, and if someone uses the Buy It Now, then you get what your asking price was!!!

Jeff

P.S. I have personally purchased a car on Ebay, and the deal went through without any problems. The car was as described, and I don't have any problems with buying cars on Ebay. I will be listing one for sale on there myself soon, so don't worry too much. You'll get someone to buy it from you!!!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-03-2002, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Well thats that then... im there now putting it up. Anyone care to bid

Heres the url, but its not listed in the galleries yet???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1841444668

Last edited by Kyle; 07-03-2002 at 02:52 PM.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-03-2002, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kyle
Anyone care to bid
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-04-2002, 12:10 AM

Wink Nooooo....

You forgot the fur and shitty spelling... that car's going nowhere now. Sorry bud.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-04-2002, 04:36 AM Thread Starter

Re: Nooooo....

Quote:
Originally posted by Speedboy3
You forgot the fur and shitty spelling... that car's going nowhere now. Sorry bud.
Man I knew I forgot something

3 bids so far... this is kind of exciting... somewhat addicting you might say
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode