Salvage Title Question? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2002, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Salvage Title Question?

IS buying a bike with a salvage title or r title a bad thing? Any pros and cons?

Last question: So I go out and get a killer deal on a salvage title bike, fix it completely stock as off the showroom flow, can the tile then be upgraded to a clean title?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2002, 08:05 PM

Hmmm. You may want to check your local authorities on that ( like maybe local tax assessor ). Different states have different procedures for handling salvaged titles. Some insurance companies don't like to insure salvaged titled bikes.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2002, 08:53 PM
Founder

Garage
Also,

If you ever want to trade the bike into a dealer it's almost impossible to get them to buy a bike with a salvaged title.

The only time I personally would buy a bike with a salvaged title would be for a race bike only.

Robert Basil
SportbikeWorld.com Founder
PocketbikePlanet.com Founder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Robert; 06-28-2002 at 12:33 AM.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 12:13 AM

I agree with robert. I would only buy one for racing use only. Im not too sure how it goes in your state but ive heard it's a pain in the butt to get it street legal again. I think you have to get it inspected by the state patrol or something like that to check for stolen parts and such not to mention you will probly have to replace everything with o.e.m parts just to pass inspection. then if you want too buy some of the illegal goodies to put on it that is just another heep of money not to mention all the hidden problems that might ocur. None the less use your best judgement since it seems you have by posting this thread. well good luck with what ever you decide

there's hope in the words and emotion in the eyes
it's so easy to be misled by the savvy gentle guise
and like fools we trust the delivery
but it's all just drunk sincerity
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 05:10 AM

Salvage bikes ARE A PAIN IN THE ASS to retitle. In PA, you won't get a clean title, you will get a R title. Yes, you will have to go through the whole state trooper thing, state inspection, endless hours at the dmv, and just alot of BS. You will need to provide several before and after pictures to the dmv as well to retitle in PA.

It can be done if you feel up to it.

and unless you enjoy rebuilding bikes, by the time you are through with a salvage bike, you really don't save much money over buying a good used one.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by limegreen6R
Salvage bikes ARE A PAIN IN THE ASS to retitle. In PA, you won't get a clean title, you will get a R title. Yes, you will have to go through the whole state trooper thing, state inspection, endless hours at the dmv, and just alot of BS. You will need to provide several before and after pictures to the dmv as well to retitle in PA.

It can be done if you feel up to it.

and unless you enjoy rebuilding bikes, by the time you are through with a salvage bike, you really don't save much money over buying a good used one.
I'll follow up on limegreen's comments. Salvage titles can be a pain. However, depending on the deal and the extent of damage on the bike it may/ or may not be worth it. I buy / fix / sell wrecked cars. SUBSTANTIAL savings can result. However, you must be very cautious. A $20, 000 car that you just paid $3,500 for wrecked gives you alot of room to secure your investment. However, a 10K bike bought for 4K doesn't leave much room. It can be put back on the road. It will always cary a "rebuilt" designation on the title. I would consider buying a wrecked bike if the original damage was minimal, the small parts will kill you. Also, I must get at least a 30% discound over an otherwise "clean" titled bike. However, if your intent is to race it or take it to the track to play this may be the right way to go.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 10:15 PM

It Depends...

Michigan was as simple as a police inspection. Did it on three different bikes. As far as salvage titles go, I've owned several - '93 900RR, '99 R1, and a '00 F4.

Typically you'll find the salvage bikes coming from guys who buy them at insurance auctions and have a small bike shop. The condition varies greatly. Because a bike has been totalled and given a salvage title does not mean its had extensive damage...just expensive damage. One scratch in the frame and it has to be replaced. Most of the time if the frame is being replaced, its totalled.

The good point to a salvage bike is that the price can be much cheaper than non-salvage. But you have to do your homework and buy from a reputable source from word-of-mouth. There are a handful of owners who decide to buy the bike back from the insurance company and either fix themselves or part out in hopes of a profit.

The obvious down side to a salvage bike is answering the question what 'really' happened. Some people are honest others are not. If you go look at a salvage bike and you see that something is painted over w/o the seller informing you, WALK AWAY! What else is being hidden!

The not-so-obvious down side to a salvage bike is the re-sell.
Usually you have to wait allot longer to sell a salvage for the same above statements. A quick sale rarely happens unless it goes for dirt or its a friend who knows the bike.

GET RECEIPTS! Some states require a receipt for the work to replace all of the damaged parts in order to re-title the bike.

I've had good luck with all of my salvage bikes. All were for the
street and had no mechanical problems (that I didn't cause!). I do though consider myself lucky as I am sure there are horror stories.

As far as insurance goes, I had the misfortune of totalling my R1 . The insurance company (Allstate) gave me full blue book.

I am not aware of any state that will allow you to convert a salvaged bike into a clean title.

If you can get a salvage bike cheap enough, you can make some $$$ by parting it out versus selling it when its time for it to go, but its a pain and take a bunch of time!

I hope this helps...this pic was a salvage bike!!!

AB

Last edited by angrybob; 06-28-2002 at 10:27 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 03:47 PM

I also currently own a R title bike.. '97 F3.. it was a theft recovery, seems the kid who owned it new couldnt afford the payments, so he had it 'stolen'.. the cops found the Honda carcass at his friend's house or something, and he was nabbed for insurance fraud..

The bike was 'totalled' because there wasnt enough of the bike physically there, as the kid was parting it out on ebay or what have you..

Anyhow, his loss was my gain.. I wound up with an F3, with 4K miles on the motor, that only needed a swingarm, rear brake assembly, tank, full pipe system, and half the plastics.. not bad for less than $2K total ehh? Of course getting parts at cost + 5% helps

But I am a bit concerned when the time comes to sell it/upgrade.. I did talk to a dealer or 3 about trading an R title bike in, and they claimed 'so long as it's got a title, we know it's been inspected by the State Patrol' but I'm not new to dealing with dealers, and know they'll throw a wrinkle in there someplace..
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 10:17 PM

Smile

My partner at work here in Az deals with cars, buying and selling and the question about a salvage title came up in our conversation once. Once you have a vehical that has a salvage title that title will always say the same. You can't go in and change it to say anything else. Now because it's a salvage title many people look at it as a bad thing and sometime's it is, sometimes it ain't. The question to be asked is, why does this have a salvage title. Could be a repo, stolen, towed or just a vehical that no one wanted. No title is easy to get unless it's signed over to you, but if you are to try to get one, a salvage title is the way to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode