motorcyclemania2...HAHAHA,HOHOHO... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-24-2002, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

motorcyclemania2...HAHAHA,HOHOHO...

anyone catch this thing on the discovery channel???

these cutsom hardley builders build and ride their pride and joys from california to frickin sturgres(or what ever) and the junk is breakin down all along the way...what a bust..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-25-2002, 12:56 AM

I thought it was pretty cool. I would love to build my own bike like they do at W.C.C. You know its custom when the guy is bending the chassis tubes on a jig clamped to a table and the engine block is machined down the street!! As for the guys' personal bikes, didn't you notice the custom R1 that Jesse James was riding on?

It is amazing how they design and fabricate everything themselves in that awesome workshop. They even design and CNC the wheels in house. Sorry, but you simply must appreciate all that is going on in there.

Does anybody know a place that builds truely custom sportbikes? I haven't seen too many.

Last edited by Napalm; 06-25-2002 at 01:16 AM.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-25-2002, 06:13 AM

I agree with Napalm.

Jesse James is a fricken cool dude. I've talked to him through some e-mails before. Those bikes that he makes are hardly bikes at all, they're more like pieces of art.

And yah, he does have a pretty wicked looking R1. I saw that in the garage that he was in on Monster Garage (or whatever it was called) last night.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-25-2002, 09:31 AM

While his bikes are not my preferred ride, I do have to admire the skill he has as a builder and fabricator. I have my nose in the service manual whenever I do anything on my bike, he writes the manual as he goes!
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-25-2002, 09:42 AM

Thumbs up

I have to agree with Napalm too. Those bikes are art in motion. I'm not really into cruisers, but I'd have West Coast Chopper build a bike for me if I had the money. I mean how often in the world can you drive something that is a total original? If you had a customer car built you'd be paying allot more than $60K, you'd probably be looking at something like 125K to 500K depending on what you want. As far as the bikes breaking down, I think Jesse James bike broke on a fluke, and the other two bikes were older than me. If I could get 30 years out of my CBR, I'd expect a few mechanical difficulties.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-25-2002, 10:31 AM

Between the bike special they had and "Monster Garage", even though I really don't like cruisers of any kind, I have an enormous amount of respect for what JJ is capable of. His skills as an artist and fabricator are well proven. He is living the backyard mechanic's dream.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-25-2002, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Napalm
Does anybody know a place that builds truely custom sportbikes? I haven't seen too many.
It's much harder to build a truly custom sportbike that properly does what a sportbike is supposed to do. But yes, WCC's stuff is cool.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-25-2002, 01:07 PM

Sorry, I didn't mean that to be sarcastic. I really do want to know who is working on custom sportbikes. There must be somebody doing it, but one does not see that too often.

It seems that there is more work on "semi-custom" batch products for sportbikes, like that single side swingarm for the R1. It's expensive and not mass produced.

Last edited by Napalm; 06-25-2002 at 02:39 PM.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-25-2002, 01:32 PM

Thumbs up

I have a lot of respect for JJ's work. If I had the cash, you'd better believe I'd be in there buying a bike. He obviously enjoys performance of all kinds, because he's got the chopped 54 Chevy, a 360 Modena, Steve McQueen's ancient Indian, an R1, and a wild assortment of other stuff. He might be a bit of a dumbass and less than totally responsible, but he certainly seems to know that he is, and he's at least taken responsibility for it (and his life--Getting sober ain't the easiest thing to do, I watched my Grandfather die trying).

I'd love to meet him and BS about bikes, cars, or whatever else.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-25-2002, 02:09 PM

Send a message via AIM to Tippmann Send a message via Yahoo to Tippmann
You have to respect a guy that starts with some steel polls and ends up with a one of a kind frame. Then uses sheet metal and comes up with a one of a kind gas tank. He designs his own wheels too. Then they cut them to his design. The mans a genius.

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewaysducati
SWIPE THE CARD GRANDMA!!!
SWIPE THE GODDAMNED CARD!!!!
WARNING
If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all who claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think everything you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told you should want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned...... Tyler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode