Hemlet or no helmet? What do you do? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums
View Poll Results: Do you wear a helmet?
Yes, every single time I ride.. 170 95.51%
On occasion, but not when it's not hotter then hell out.. 5 2.81%
No, my state doesn't require it, so I figure what the heck! 2 1.12%
What's a helmet? 1 0.56%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-17-2002, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

Question Hemlet or no helmet? What do you do?

This is just a little post to get some feedback on some people's opinions on whether or not to wear a helmet! I am not sure how many states do not require by law that motorcyclists wear helmets, but I do know AZ does not..I lived in Tempe for a year while in school and used to see hundreds of people not wearing helmets, and roads out there can get pretty enticing..Recently my buddy dropped his brand new TL1000 because of some cager not using their head and pulled out in front of him, and I was talking to him about his accident..He said he probably wouldn't be here if it weren't for his brain bucket! Which is usually true..They save lives to no extent..

So I was just wondering out of however many states don't require you to wear a helmet, how many people actually don't? And why?

I realize in AZ it gets hotter than hell, I would just rather sweat than break open my skull..This also has to do with some kid who used to do 100mph down Baseline to school every day until he got caught my Tempe Police..this was on the news..And he didn't wear a helmet..I just can't fathom being subject to the consequences..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-17-2002, 07:55 PM
Founder

Garage
My signature line says it all.

Robert Basil
SportbikeWorld.com Founder
PocketbikePlanet.com Founder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-17-2002, 08:09 PM

I hate, hate, hate helmet laws.

But I wear mine every time. I have a great family and lots to stick around for.

Washington does have a helmet law. The Navy requires motorcyclists wear them.

It doesn't have to be fun to be "fun".

post #4 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-17-2002, 08:36 PM

When a woman in a Land Cruiser hit me on my Hawk GT my head SMACKED off the pavement big time. The helmet had huge tear marks in it from the pavement. If it werent for the helmet I would have died or at least lost the capacity to read your post and respond to it. All these idiots you see riding around without one just havent wrecked yet.
post #5 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-17-2002, 08:40 PM

darwinism at its fullest extent.

I Don't believe in helmet laws either, but I wear mine everytime I get on the bike...and its actually cooler to ride with a lid on...the sweat stays inside the bucket and acts as a bit of air conditioning...its not a swamp cooler, but its better than having the water evaporate from your head and further dehydration...not to mention dust and all the other crap in the air...like flying tires, bumpers, wheels, etc...
post #6 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-17-2002, 08:51 PM

Im gonna have to disagree with that, helmet off is way cooler! The problem is lack of air flow. I thought about drilling a bunch of holes in a cheap helmet kind of like a wiffleball but so far I havent done anything but sweat it out with my lid on an wash it when it stinks. Sometimes when riding along I grap the part that goes below the visor and pull forward and up so air flows up around my head. Too bad theres not a porous head cap with a little air pump you can wear under a helmet to get some air in there. The vent on top doesnt do a damn thing unless Im going 100+.
post #7 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-17-2002, 09:03 PM

I think it's better to ride with a helmet on when it's really hot! Ever tried putting the hair blower in your face for more than 2 seconds?!
post #8 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-17-2002, 09:45 PM

Helmets have saved my life twice now, at least my brains

If it's so hot outside that I cant stand wearing a helmet, then I just wont ride... thats not too often though.
post #9 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-18-2002, 01:08 AM

i think hemet laws are bogus, . if someone doesnt wanna wear a helmet so be it, but i think it's also a really selfish act on the riders part. i have to many family members and friends who care about me and would never want to put them thru having to see a love one die, just b/c i want to feel the wind in my hair or it's too hot out. i would sacrafice these two things (even if you could call them that)just to never see a tear from any of my love ones faces just because i was that selfish and had no regard for there feelings. if not for you why not the people you care about.....but hay it's your life and my two cents

there's hope in the words and emotion in the eyes
it's so easy to be misled by the savvy gentle guise
and like fools we trust the delivery
but it's all just drunk sincerity
post #10 of 66 (permalink) Old 06-18-2002, 08:17 AM

I wear a helmet every time I ride... Be It a Sunday run or a quick trip to the store...
I'm selfish... I want to be able to watch my daughter grow up, go to college, get a rediculously well-paying job, and buy me lots of stuff when I'm older... It'd be kinda hard to do that If I was dead or retarded from a head injury.

-Jon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tn_cute.jpg (6.7 KB, 420 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode