55 Stay Alive - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2002, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

55 Stay Alive

thats the rule I always live by, how bout you guys. How fast do you ride on the average. How often do you pull stunts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2002, 06:51 PM

ive slowed down to 70 mph.............

my stretch of hiway 395 has more hiway patrol than you can shake a stick at..they do 80mph, but they have a badge.....bastards
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2002, 06:52 PM

wide open, and stunts all the time- I crash a lot.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2002, 02:25 PM

I always used to SPEED alot, but after being on this forum for a while I now ride at a safe and respectible 53mph just to be safe and goody too shoes like
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2002, 05:52 PM

It is so slow doing the max speed limits.

Ours are in metic so 80KPH (most common hwy speed & a hair below your 55mph--actually closer to 50 mph)) & that is like 3rd in my cog box. Some are 90, 100 to rare 110KPH still it is SLOW. More so when one comes across 70 to 60KPH for man you are C-R-A-W-L-I-N-G.
I remember back in '77 when this 55mph bit went into the States. The wife of a NY Senator bought him a Honda CB550 (he had a bike in prior yrs) & he simply could not get over how slow the 55mph speed was on a M/C & remember way back in those days there were no sportbikes & believe me a CB550 had trouble reaching 110mph.
So in actual fact the speed limits are set for cages & especially vans & large trucks.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2002, 06:02 PM

Back in the mid-50s I was an instrument man ---

---for the Trans-Canada Hwy & we had to go through all the rules/regs of roads, bridges,culverts, etc.
One thing I noted was that they specified that basically ALL bends must be set for trucks at 70mph (bar rare occasions like mtns, etc) which is 110KPH (the fastest one might possibly see on a few rare bits of the hwys in Cdn) & not the crawling speed of 80KPH which is 50mph!!!!!
Think about it -- in the days of drum brakes on cages they still felt 70 mph was a future speed limit.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2002, 08:08 PM

Re: 55 Stay Alive

Quote:
Originally posted by sly10man
thats the rule I always live by, how bout you guys. How fast do you ride on the average. How often do you pull stunts?
Ah think your joshin wit us.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2002, 09:56 PM
Dad

55 max... hit 56 once but a careful apply of the rear brake brought everything back into control!

BUT... I know a guy who will only do 70 to 75 or so on the interstates, depending on the flow of traffic, but when he gets on the two lane twisties he likes to get downright silly. Low traffic and decent roads bring out the worst in him. He sometimes runs up to 125 on sweepers or favorite corner exits, but seldom more. Myself... I would never do that.

I never do wheelies or burnouts and neither does that guy I know, at least not on purpose, maybe an occasional lower gear corner exit.

Keeping the "Hap" in "Happy Holidays"!

Regime change begins at home.

Blind patriotism is worse than no patriotism.

Last edited by Dad; 06-15-2002 at 10:03 PM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2002, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dad
55 max... hit 56 once but a careful apply of the rear brake brought everything back into control!
What's this rear brake thing?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2002, 06:09 PM

Its the people who drive the speed limit when everyone else is doing 10 to 20 mph over that I hate. They are like a big rock in the "river of traffic" that everyone has to manuever around.Or you have the civilian speed limit enforcer who drives the speed limit or less in the fast lane .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode