Successful Test Of My Gear (crash) - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-13-2002, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Successful Test Of My Gear (crash)

Well, looks like i won't be ridin for a while. Had my 1st crash yesterday . A 60 mph low-side. it was either try to crank through the turn as a result if an on coming car taking up his share of MY lane. i stood the bike up for a second to avoid him, and that took me off-line. so if i would've kept the bike upright, i would have goone for a ride down a revean (sp?)

so i leaned to turn so much where my left boot and peg were grinding; i almost completed the turn where when i low-sided i tumbled parallel along the road in the grass.

i stood up, wind knocked out of me and all, looked around and NO BIKE TO BE FOUND! Took off my gear, which stood up to the crash VERY well (thanks Shoei & teknic), and almost immediately heard sirens. someone must had seen me tumble.

after a pleasant ride in a ambulance w/neckbrace and backboard i was at the hospital getting tested every which way...

when all was said and done, two broken bones in my hand (the bones that are between you top knuckle and wrist); and deep contusions on my ribs (left side); a lovely rasberry on my left butt cheek. that's it. not bad for a 60 mph + low side. i just feel like i got mugged; very sore today.

tow driver said the bike was about 80 ft down a rivean; talked to him today and he said the bike was pretty messed up but he didn't think it was totaled. i hope it is so u can get a Duc! the insurance adjuster us going out to look at it today. i can't imagine the it isn't totaled; i've seen pics of bikes on this site where the bike looked in tact but was totaled anyway.

oh well. i should be up riding again in no time.

does this crash make me a "biker" now? hopefully i will learn from this and it will make me a better rider. i'll still visit this site everyday and ttpe some one handed threads. take care everyone

when i take some digital pics, i'll post them. i have still yet to see the bike.
NI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-13-2002, 01:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to Tippmann Send a message via Yahoo to Tippmann
Well that sucks. At least you didnt go over the ravine(sp) with it.

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewaysducati
SWIPE THE CARD GRANDMA!!!
SWIPE THE GODDAMNED CARD!!!!
WARNING
If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all who claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think everything you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told you should want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned...... Tyler
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-13-2002, 01:59 PM

Agree, that it is good in you not following the bike & probably more injuries. You did all you could to avoid a killer of an accident with the car on the wrong side of the road.
Have a hunch the bike is totalled as most tow people are not m/cists with the experience we have.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-13-2002, 07:20 PM

sorry to hear

Even though you wrecked your bike at least you came out better...Hope you heal in time and get another bike soon..Keeps us posted on how things make out..ONce again glad to hear you're ok..
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-13-2002, 07:24 PM

Glad to hear that you're ok. What gear were you wearing, and what's its damage, if any?
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-13-2002, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by PumpkinHead
Glad to hear that you're ok. What gear were you wearing, and what's its damage, if any?
i was wearing a Shoei, Pascal Picotte replica, gloves w/ kevlar and carbon fibeer ( i think...it's hard stuff) on the knuckles and wrist ( the gloves came up to my forearm), some thick leather boots courtesy of the Navy ( they come up around mid-calf), and a BRAND NEW Teknic lether jacket. i just bought it yesterday; until then i was using a J.R. Phoenix jacket. But wanted to get some good leather. A good investment, i'd say.

the jacket held up VERY nicely; i think mainly because i slid off the road and slid the remaining distance in the grass parallel to the road. kind of funny, b/c only the left side if the jacket is REALLY dirty, but no damage to the stitching. the rest of the jacket still looks brand new. jeans held up, just some grass stains. left boot got tore up, but the steel toes held up better than i expected. i was glad to have boots that covered up my ankle bone, b/c the the leather where my ankle bone would be, was pretty scuffed up. and a nice chunk out of my helmet from where i smacked the back of my head on the pavement.

i was reminded of how insane it would be to ride around in shorts, tanktops, and shades. i can't even fahtom crashing without wearing any gear!!

i'm going to go to the salvage yard tomorrow to get my key(the bike key is with my truck key); i'll bring the digital camera and take some pix and post 'em . i'm kind of excited to see how she's doin'. i'm amost sure it's totaled. kind of sad, my first bike and all. oh well. like i said, depending on if it's totaled or not, i plan on making my next bike a Ducati 748S. we'll see. talk to you all later!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-13-2002, 09:36 PM

Glad to hear you came through your crash without a very serious injury although the ones you describe sounded pretty painful
Hope you heal soon & get back on two wheels quickly.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-14-2002, 05:35 AM

You're jumping the fence from Kwaka to Ducati?
Are you sure you didn't smack your head real hard in that accident?
Anyhow, cool to see you didn't go for a free fall.
I'm a little interested to know how intense the turn felt before you stacked. Did it feel a whole lot more tipped over than you're used to? or just that little bit extra?
It sounded like you nearly made the save.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-14-2002, 06:52 AM
Retired Moderator

Sorry about your mishap
At least you didn't get seiously hurt..You can always get another bike, but not body parts for you!
It would be nice if whoever saw you going down and called the ambulance, had also taken the license plate of the oncoming car...Maybe you wouldn't be able to prove anything, but you could find out who it was ;-)

Aris
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-14-2002, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by BobbyDazzler
You're jumping the fence from Kwaka to Ducati?
Are you sure you didn't smack your head real hard in that accident?
Anyhow, cool to see you didn't go for a free fall.
I'm a little interested to know how intense the turn felt before you stacked. Did it feel a whole lot more tipped over than you're used to? or just that little bit extra?
It sounded like you nearly made the save.
i don't think i hit my head that hard . it's kinda like that saying in the bible "thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's motorcycle". basically, once i get a duc, i'll want a honda....and the cycle would continue i judt love the way the grey/w red rims 748S looks.

as far as the turn, i would equate it to a little less than a typical cloverleaf; so i was used to leaning the bike way over; but when he flirted w/ the center line, it took me off my line a bit. so imagine hittin' a clover leaf between 60-70mph with a smooth line; getting off line and needing to compensate for that amount of time where you were off line by turning/diggin even harder; then almost ready to get the bike upright but having the front wash out around 60mph. that's a pretty accurate way of describing it.

i'm leaving now in a few minutes to go check out the bike. i'll post some pics later. adios all; thanks for your support. means a lot considering 2 days ago i was thinking of giving up sportbikes. now i find myslef browsing Ducai websites
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode