International Selling Help... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2002, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

Question International Selling Help...

I would like to direct your attention to a post of mine over on Stangnet.com. I am selling my mustang and a gentleman over in the country of Benin which is in Africa wishs to purchase it. I know there are more international folk on here than on stangnet so take a look and let me know what you think.

Post on Stangnet.com

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2002, 09:51 AM

two suggestions

#1 walk away

#2 if you're hell bent on selling it use an escrow service...they get the money from him, then when the car is delivered they send the check to you
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2002, 10:57 AM

Sounds fishy to me.

Saying he wants your name and address etc. makes this sound kind of fishey to me. I would not do something like this unless it was done through Escrow as said in the other thread. This stinks of the Nigerian money fraud that many people have been using from 3rd world countries.

Basically the gist of the fraud is that they say that they need you to help them get money out of the country in some wierd way. But in order to do it they need to meet you in person in Afriaca, or they need you to pay some sort of wierd fee to get the money transferred into your account. Many people have been taken by this fraud and several have been kidnapped and held for ransom.

If you want to learn more about this type of fraud do a search in any search engine about the "nigerian money fraud". You should turn up a lot of information.

If he is not willing to transfer the money into an escrow account of your choice in advance of giving the car to the shipping company I woulden't have anything to do with it. Much less give him my address or bank account information.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2002, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Not to be overdramatic here, but I think you may have just saved my life, and definatly my money. After all the pieces are put together, it makes clear sense: His client is in the US, his client will send me the money, then I send the balance to him in africa.

That way both the clients hands and his are clean. Worst part, he has my address. It was used in calculating shipping costs. Now im no b*tch, but the last thing I want to tangle myself with is getting kidnapped. I emailed him telling him that I sold the car. I am contacting the US embassy to Benin (the DC office) on monday to find out some info and possible report it.

I think I got myself in over my head

Kyle

Last edited by Kyle; 06-08-2002 at 04:28 PM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2002, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Wow this guy doesnt quit...

I emailed him telling him that I sold the mustang. He replies with "its ok, just find me another car to ship to me"!??!

I told him that I couldnt help him and to stop emailing me.

So what happens if he has his client send all that money to me without me telling him to do so?!

Kyle
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2002, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kyle
[B
So what happens if he has his client send all that money to me without me telling him to do so?!

Kyle [/B]
Send it back. Return to Sender. Refuse shipment.
Just don't take it.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2002, 09:38 PM
Founder

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Ttiana

Send it back. Return to Sender. Refuse shipment.
Just don't take it.
Bingo. Treat all mail from him as Junk Mail and throw it away.

And ignore his email's don't email him back anymore.

Robert Basil
SportbikeWorld.com Founder
PocketbikePlanet.com Founder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2002, 05:58 AM Thread Starter

Yea he has stopped emailing me, and nothing in the mail yet.

I still want to report him, it pisses me off that if it wasnt for someone on this forum that warned me of this, I probably would have been screwed. Hopefully they take anonymous reports.

Thanks.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2002, 06:15 AM

Hahahaha. After reading his e-mail to you, all I could think of was...All you base are belong to us! LOL. Here's hoping you don't get kidnapped. I never heard of this scam before either; nice to have a good group like this to turn to every now and then.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2002, 06:46 AM

Don't feel special...

This sort of thing has happened to several people I know that had their motorcycles and cars for sale online. Thankfully, they all were smart enough to smell a rat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode