The Isle of Man TT Races 2002 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2002, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

The Isle of Man TT Races 2002

Apologies to all of you in the good ol' US of A but this one really concerns us Europeans (unless you know better).

The finest, oldest (well, one of, anyway), and most famous race series in the world is about to take place.

Cue Fanfare!

After a break of a year due to F & M the Isle of Man TT races are back this year, starting this weekend.

I'm going, that's for sure. Anybody else? Anybody planning any 'happennings' the rest of us can join in on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2002, 02:01 PM

All I can hope for is some of that fantastic coverage that Speed picks up from the British firm that films the event. The on-bike camera shots from a couple years ago were breathtaking.

Sad though, that Joey "I OWN the TT" Dunlop isn't around to properly demonstrate the correct method of circulating the island.

There's quite a few other mates from your side of the pond here at SBW, so you'll likely find others planning to attend. Be careful around Smeg though, here's a wild one

Enjoy!

Our greatest challenge in life is living up to our own potential.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2002, 05:17 PM
Founder

Garage
HEY! Some of us in the US know what "real" road racing is all about.

I wish I lived closer, I'd LOVE to be able to go.

P.S. Rest in peace Joey.

Robert Basil
SportbikeWorld.com Founder
PocketbikePlanet.com Founder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2002, 08:38 PM

Re: The Isle of Man TT Races 2002

Quote:
Originally posted by Robski
Apologies to all of you in the good ol' US of A but this one really concerns us Europeans (unless you know better).

The finest, oldest (well, one of, anyway), and most famous race series in the world is about to take place.

Cue Fanfare!

After a break of a year due to F & M the Isle of Man TT races are back this year, starting this weekend.

I'm going, that's for sure. Anybody else? Anybody planning any 'happennings' the rest of us can join in on?
Aww man! Be sure to take some pictures and post 'em here for the unlucky bastards like me who can't be there in person.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2002, 12:03 PM

Ever since FOX or who ever Speedvision ---

-----sold out to & now called Speed. I have been asking them if they will bring on this HISTORIC & one of a kind only race. After all it started in 1904 (almost typed 1907 there, but then that is the Socttish Six Days Trials that will come up soon-------- again a historic type of comp & different to all othe Observed Trials in the world) bar 1915 to 1920 & 1938 to 1947 due to WWI & WWII plus 2001 due to F&M.
It is through small towns, scraping by buildings or rock fences & 35.75 pr lap --- man try to find that in some other country. Everything from 125, 250, 600 1000, sidecar hacks & just so many others have been included.
Then there is MAD SUNDAY & so many go simply nuts there.
Some of you know the above, but I thought I would make it a bit of an eye catcher to those new to m/cing.
Crumbs I was fully signed up twice to race there W-A-Y back many yrs ago & even a 500cc Manx Noton set up & ready for me, but in both cases I injured myself in scrambling (now called MX) events here in Cdn.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2002, 02:25 PM

IF(?) anyone is in question------

----- just dial in www.IOMTT.COM & pull in all the info on the race & believe me there is a LOT of past & present data.
In the late 40s I use to wait two months for the info, results & some photos to come in on the weekly m/c mags from the UK for they were sent by Surface Mail & that means by BOAT!!!!!!!!!!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2002, 08:13 AM

Thumbs up

IOM is one of those events that I've put on my list of things to do before I die.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2002, 05:07 PM

Lots ot info on the lst of the practice days like ---

---"Teammate Ian Duffus is equally at home on the TT circuit, and since 1985 he has started in no fewer than fifty-two TT races, finishing on the podium nine times. He has two victories under his belt, both in the Supersport 600 class, and is the third fastest rider of all time - lapping at 123.87mph around the demanding public roads circuit."
I just pulled out this paragraphy. Think this rider has competed in 52 TT races & that means each lap being 35.73 miles yet they lap more then once. Yet his partner Jim Moodie laid the fastest starting lap of 124.45mph from a standand start on a Production Bike being an R01 Yamaha.
Time to dial into www.IOMTT.COM & suck in the action.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode