Riding safely in the USA - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2002, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

Question Riding safely in the USA

Hi everybody, from reading the forums most every night I know you guys are seasoned pros and I have a question to ask, a very important one and maybe even a lifesaver. Is it the norm or is it desireable even to ride about in daylight hrs on high beam? A buddy of mine swears by it and says that bugging the odd car driver is a small price to pay for greatly improved presence on the street. Having grown up in europe driving about on low beam only is the norm, but dare I say it, the drivers over there are a lot better tuned in and have way more respect for bikers in general. Any advice on this or other safety tips would be greatly appreciated from this Irishman!. Safe riding everybody. Daithi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 07:24 AM

If it makes you feel safer, go for it. I always feel the biggest threat comes from behind me though. I can see everyone in front of me and can react 100 times faster to them anyway. It's the soccer mom on the cell phone eating a jelly donut that scares me.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Rug Burn
If it makes you feel safer, go for it. I always feel the biggest threat comes from behind me though. I can see everyone in front of me and can react 100 times faster to them anyway. It's the soccer mom on the cell phone eating a jelly donut that scares me.
I agree about the threat from behind, however, I do run with my high beam on all day (and sometimes at night too)...as far as the comment about drivers in Europe more in tune with motorcyclists?

No doubt...I've talked to plenty of people over there, and I hear the same thing over and over...

So if I piss a cager off during the day (or at night) cause I'm running around with my high beam on, then oh well...at least I know he saw me

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2002, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Rug Burn
It's the soccer mom on the cell phone eating a jelly donut that scares me.

Its just the jelly donuts that scare me
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2002, 03:05 PM

i think its time we did away with soccer

this "game" is or was a communist plot to over throw the capitalist countrys....

i ride with hi beams during the day..could care less for the old lady/man who gets pissed...feck its only a few seconds and im gone...
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2002, 10:59 PM

High beams on all day, and usually at night too, unless I'm close behind someone.

It doesn't have to be fun to be "fun".
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2002, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Thank you kind readers for your helpful advice on the use of high beams.Guess I am going to have to light them up from now on and hey, some of them may even notice me!! Anyway heres hoping. Daithi--Boston.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2002, 12:20 AM

Highs always during the day. At night, my highs don't show the road in front of me well enough so I never use them (guestimating by the distance they light up I'd say they'd be useful at about 120 mph).

Driving a cage most of the time, I can say that it absolutely makes you more visible both on-comming and when you're behind me.

Anyone that whines about it irritating their poor little eyes, inform them there's this great big ball of light in the sky that's 100x brighter and you'll turn your light off when they turn that one off.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2002, 09:12 AM

Always high-beams....No madd what time of day...Basically stik to this logic....Ride like your invisible, like everyone is out to get ya, & be aggressive, not in the way ure thinking,,,but in the way where your not a sitting duck....
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2002, 08:59 PM

I think there was a column in Motorcyclist or something a few months ago regarding this topic. I think the point was it's a personal choice and opinion whether or not you think High Beams will help or not. I think he (Mitch Boem?) was saying that while high beams do help, use your head about it. If you're behind a car already, you don't need them on High.

My take? I'm usually a Low Beamer. But.... in the twisties, I always put them on High. If it helps to wake up the sleeping cager and keep him from drifting into my lane as I'm leaned over coming at him from the opposite direction, then it's worth it for me to annoy him. In normal traffic though, I usually stick to low beams.

Also (and I THINK this was mentioned in that column), people tend to focus and target fixate on things. If you're blinding some dumb cager with your high beams, he'll aim FOR them (sub-conciously) instead of just noticing you're there and avoiding you.

Emrah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode