Founder

Garage
Question New Website Opinions

Need some opinions please...

http://www.basilsoftware.com

Robert Basil
SportbikeWorld.com Founder
PocketbikePlanet.com Founder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2002, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Founder

Garage
Question

No comments anyone?

Robert Basil

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2002, 09:25 AM

Nice site! Very well laid out, BUT there was no really big hook for me. With the way the net is and how you can get almost anything for free you have to show them something that they REALLY REALLY want but can't just go get anywhere. A teaser is the key, get your surfer all worked up about whatever your selling and then BAM, hit em with the $9.95 for full access to all of the site. Also, what about other sponsors? Your sole purpose for this site is to make $$$, right? Personally, I'd through up some small banners and links to other sites that offer CPA or CPM deals for sending traffic. Pop unders work great too. You could spam your surfer with pop-unders and they would have no clue until they closed your page down. If there not interested in your product, I'd make sure I had a link for whatever they are looking for. There are endless possibilities you have for your business model. I suggest you research some of the most profitable websites out there <cough>adult</cough> and take some notes on how they captivate there surfer, tease them enough to pull out there credit card, and if they change there mind, send them somewhere where they will use there card. Anyway, you site dose look very nice and I wish you the best of luck with it.

-KillaRide

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2002, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Founder

Garage
#1 I REFUSE to use pop-ups or pop-unders.

#2 Banners for the software site would be a total waste of time. CPM and CPC rates are WAY to low to even waste my time with them.

#3 There would be a big hook for you if your were a gun freak or a Harley freak.

Thanks for the comments, this is the 6th site that I run and really wanted some tips on the quality of the screen savers. If you search around you will notice that you cannot get gun or harley related screen savers anywhere else. I only plan on offering hard to find screen saver topics.

Robert Basil

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2002, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert
[B I only plan on offering hard to find screen saver topics. [/B]

I hear Squid's still looking for a goats and girdles screen saver.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2002, 06:50 PM

Quote:
#1 I REFUSE to use pop-ups or pop-unders.

#2 Banners for the software site would be a total waste of time. CPM and CPC rates are WAY to low to even waste my time with them.

#3 There would be a big hook for you if your were a gun freak or a Harley freak.

Thanks for the comments, this is the 6th site that I run and really wanted some tips on the quality of the screen savers. If you search around you will notice that you cannot get gun or harley related screen savers anywhere else. I only plan on offering hard to find screen saver topics.
#1 not wanting pop-up's or unders I can understand.

#2 If you have the right kind of traffic this can be VERY profitable!

#3 Yes, I can see a Harley or gun freak going for this stuff for sure.

Your original post said:
"New Website Opinions" "Need some opinions please"

So that's what I gave you. My opinion, that's all...

Ok, now that we got that out of the way and I know what your REALLY asking... I did download your preview saver and it looks very nice.

Now back to the site... SORRY, there's just one more thing I think could use some help. On your main page it's very nice and organized, however as a surfer looking for screen savers I would expect some sort of visual preview (back to the teasers) of what your site has to offer. Maybe a few thumbnails of guns, bikes, whatever... From the surfer standpoint, I'd be up in google.com flipping from site to site and might just pass yours up not knowing that the contents of your site was what I was looking for. Visual aids work VERY well. From experience, I KNOW a surfer looking for something visual (pics, screen savers, whatever) will not waste time READING about what you have inside... I run over 80 paysites and have been doing so for the past 5 years. Here is an example site of mine. http://www.psychicweb.com You will notice that I give the surfer nothing but a round about preview to get the taste on there lips... then BAM, sign up or get out! , and if they do choose to get out, I've placed one pop-under for a last chance sale.

Just a little constructive criticism, that's all.

Once again, I wish you the best of luck with your site.

-KillaRide
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2002, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Founder

Garage
Thanks for the tips bro, and your right, I should have stated that I wanted opinions on the screen savers.

I'll be putting up some type of visuals on the front page in the next few days.

Robert Basil

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2002, 11:56 PM

Quote:
I wanted opinions on the screen savers.
Robert,

I think you did an outstanding job on the quality of the screensavers. While it appears that you had to bring the JPEG quality down to medium to make this not be too huge a file, it still looks good. I think most people don't mind some image down-sampling to get a smaller file size.

IMHO not all of the transitions worked really well...the one that uses the circular punchout effect in particular...by the time most of the image was cleaned up it cycled to the next image almost right away.

But this is a lot cleaner than several I've seen. I suppose my only personal opinion would be to try to keep to a 4:3 aspect ratio to have a lot less black on-screen.

Good job!

TR
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2002, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Founder

Garage
Front page visual image and more content has been added.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, keep it comming!

Robert Basil

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2002, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Founder

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by TrackTime
IMHO not all of the transitions worked really well...the one that uses the circular punchout effect in particular...by the time most of the image was cleaned up it cycled to the next image almost right away.
I'll see what I can do to speed that transition up. In the mean time you can turn it off yourself in the "Settings" box.

Robert Basil

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode