And I thought playing with yourself could only make you go blind - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2002, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

And I thought playing with yourself could only make you go blind

Another lawsuit for SBW'ers to pick over:
http://www.jsonline.com/news/state/mar02/31536.asp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2002, 11:28 AM

Stupid and moronic, and I hope that if these idiots do bring a lawsuit that the JUDGE on the case will throw it out of court.

UNLIKE cigarrettes, where there are documented health risks, the ONLY health risks to prolong gaming is carpal tunnel syndrome and going blind (yes it has happened).

The mother stated she knew her son had "mental" problems before he started playing. SO why is she blaming a game?
He has diagnosed mental problems; so no one pointed a gun to his head and said "you have to play this game or else!" He decided to emerse himself in a game. That's his problem. And those close to him should have intervened.

Looks like again, the media wants to point fingers at the gaming industry again, when they should be looking at the fact that this is just another case of human stupidity at work, and Darwinism at work.

I feel sorry for the mom for losing her son, but there were signs before he started playing that he was mentally ill. Should have seen this coming.

Sorry, I may seem unsympathetic, but I work for the video game industry and spend many a time reading reports like these (done by of course ignorant reporters who interview ignorant people on their ignorance of video games) and this kinda stuff just puts me off. Hell, I beta tested Every Quest before it came out, and that game is NOT addictive to a normal well rounded person. At least they know when to quit. So to the lawmakers and and money grubbing lawyers who think they know everything:

Last edited by Annie-Mei; 04-02-2002 at 11:36 AM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-2002, 05:51 PM

Geez

Wouldn't it be nice if people were responsible for their own behavior and faced up to consequences?

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that smoking is bad for you, if coffee is too hot don't put it between your legs when you drive, and quitting your job and isolating yourself to play a game is a sign of a person with serious mental problems

Of course the lady will probably get a big settlement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-2002, 06:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to Tippmann Send a message via Yahoo to Tippmann
that's so pathetic i dont know if its funny or sad. Put it this way...
I dont think anyone ever killed themselves after playing Legend of Zelda every waking moment for months. Somebody needs to go to that womans house and slap her around alittle.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-2002, 08:10 PM

Fer chrissakes, that is one of the dumbest lawsuits I have ever seen. Not the dumbest, but it does rank up there.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-2002, 08:17 PM

Addicted to fun

Quote:
Originally posted by Annie-Mei
UNLIKE cigarrettes, where there are documented health risks, the ONLY health risks to prolong gaming is carpal tunnel syndrome and going blind
I find the liberal use of the term "addiction" in the article instructive. Those who make money treating people who think they're "addicted" to gaming and those who make money by suing the evildoers who created the "addictive" game rely on the impact of the term. However, there's a little problem...

One becomes addicted to cigarettes or alcohol or cocaine or heroin because of a chemical in the substance that disrupts neuro-chemical pathways, creating dependency—that's the definition of addiction (according to the psychiatrist who bought my old BMW R1100RS). What precisely is the addictive agent in EverQuest?

The agent is fun. Players will experience fun in varying degrees, some not at all, others abundantly. If there are enough players, it becomes virtually certain that a few of those who experience abundant fun will also lack the good sense to stop—not to eat, to sleep, or to attend to personal hygiene.

Of course, such people can be found whereever fun is implemented. But EverQuest has the distinction of being owned by Sony, deep pockets if ever they existed. And that's the bottom line.

BTW, I've been spending way too much time here at SBW. I feel...out of control...can't sleep...must eat, but strangely drawn to motorcycle chit-chat...Say, that Honda buyout thing means SBW has some real money behind it. Get me Johnnie Cochran!

Last edited by DataDan; 04-03-2002 at 08:22 PM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-2002, 08:24 PM

Man, I do hope that sony / publishers of Ever Quest stand up for all gaming and make an example of this ladies own ignorance.

So, should we sue gun manufacturers now?

Or what if someone slammed a door in my face and I broke my nose? Shall we sue the makers of doors?

These lawsuits are pointless and a good example of what money grubbing, I want to be in the limeligt, Get my 15 minutes of fame Lawyers are more than willing to take. Tie up the damn freaking already busy court system for a frivolous lawsuit.

Sony should sue the woman for defamation and unfounded accusations.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-2002, 10:44 PM

Hell, I played Asherons Call for 6 months and didn't top myself..
Gave up coz now I'm addicted to motorcycle riding
Damn Honda....I'm gonna sue their arse for bringing me so much enjoyment
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-2002, 11:26 PM

I think he played the game to escape his depression and mental problems,

He maybe decided to off himself because of his overbearing and ignorant mother, The woman should sue herself. Although SONY is bad but for other reasons (their crap warranty policy) and I don't feel too badly for them.

I am suprised though that no one has yet gone on a rampage and said it was 'cause they played too much Grand Theft Auto 3, that game is 'effed up.

I hear that they banned it in Australia, I wish they banned it here, I wasted too much time playing it, although I haven't for a month or two,
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2002, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Annie-Mei
What the hell kinda bike can a girl at 5'1" ride?
My GF is only 4'11" and she rides a GSXR600 like a champ! (I did have to lower it for her quite a bit)

P.S. The R6 can be lowered also!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode