Oops!! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2002, 08:07 AM Thread Starter

Oops!!

I know this is off the motorcycle subject, but had to post it. Ever been thankful for safety chains?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2002, 08:16 AM

SHNIKEYS The guy is lucky for those chains you bet. When i first started driving, i seen a hitch give way before and the trailer end struck the ground.. sparks flew.. but stayed connected because of the 2 chains. Then again some people ride without them
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2002, 09:44 AM

The majority of accidents involving trailers chained to the to vehicle result in the chains causing the tow vehicle to crash with the trailer. When chains aren't used then just the trailer is lost.

My Dad is retired from the insurance business and he will not use safety chains unless the state's laws require it. So what if the trailer kills the people in the car next to you. I said that to Dad and he was not happy with me.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2002, 04:28 PM

The chain/hitch manufacturers need to use that pic in their next ad campaign stating how strong their product is!

Joe!
1999 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R, 7,100 miles, Vance and Hines Titanium exhaust system, K&N, Jetted, synthetics, more to come soon!!!

1988 Mustang GT
1993 Olds Eighty Eight LSS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Co-owner/Administrator

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2002, 09:39 PM

This guy might have lost control BECAUSE of the chains.

Even if that is the reason for the crash, I still think chains should be used, just to protect the other drivers on the road. If the driver took better care of the vehicle then it probably wouldn't have lost the trailer like that.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2002, 12:32 AM

I have had a trailer break loose from my truck twice now. Once was on a side road at low speeds. The trailer did hit my truck but there was no damage. If the chains are put on the right way they act as a cradel if the toung shoud break free. Not always the fact though.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2002, 08:08 AM

I'm a firm believer in chains. Somebody changed the ball size on the truck I was using to tow with and didn't tell me. I was towing about 10,0000 lbs of trailer and tractor with a F350 Ford when the trailer unhooked at about 50mph going down a very busy freeway. I was able to safely pull onto the shoulder, change the ball, hook back up, and I was on my merry way. The only damage was to the jack on the trailer which had hit the ground, but the chains kept the tongue off the pavement. I'd hate to think of what would've happened if that trailer had gone outta control.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2002, 09:35 PM

I dont know of any state that doesnt require trailers to be safety chained. In WI they have to be crossed under the tounge.

I doubt that guy's hitch came undone until after he went over the side. He was probably driving to fast with the trailer and it started to sway back and forth. I've seen it many times around here on the interstates. People pulling LARGE trailers and driving 85mph+ in a 65 zone. Here vehicles with trailers are supposed to be limited to 55mph on the highways and interstates.

RC, if you really want to piss your dad off, ask him what if the trailer plows into a group of children because it wasnt chained. Thats what I told my friend who didnt use the chains on his boat from his house to the launch 1 mile away.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2002, 11:41 AM

that is just plain CRAZY, how in the hell did he managae to do that,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode