Crush Kittens: Go to Jail! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-28-2002, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs down Crush Kittens: Go to Jail!

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. -- A former prison guard who crushed five kittens in a trash compactor at Sing Sing was sentenced Friday to a year in jail by a judge who said the crime was "so offensive and so calculated and so gratuitously cruel it diminishes the humanity of everybody."

Ronald Hunlock, 48, had been convicted of aggravated cruelty to animals under a 3-year-old statute called "Buster's Law" for a cat that was doused with kerosene and set on fire.

Last March, Hunlock found an inmate with contraband at the Sing Sing Correctional Facility in Ossining. He then searched the inmate's cell, found five newborn kittens and their mother and ordered the inmate to put them in the compactor. When the inmate refused, Hunlock did it himself. The mother cat escaped but the kittens were crushed.

"I made a bad decision and I'm sorry," Hunlock told state Supreme Court Justice Kenneth Lange.

Defense attorney Daniel Gallivan asked the judge not to impose jail time, repeating his trial argument that Hunlock thought the cats were ill and had no other recourse.

But prosecutor Lynn Rosenthal demanded imprisonment and the judge said killing the cats was cruel "not only to the animals involved but to the inmate." He said he had received 10 letters calling for leniency and 468 urging the maximum sentence.

He acknowledged Hunlock's 20 years of service in prisons, "not an enviable job," but said the guard had crossed the line between keeping order and inflicting cruelty.

He sentenced Hunlock to one year for killing each of the kittens and one year for trying to kill the mother. He said the terms could be served concurrently.

Gallivan asked that Hunlock be kept in protective custody because he might be known to other inmates and Lange agreed to recommend it.

Several animal rights activists were in Westchester County Court for the sentencing. Diane Sautner of the animal rescue group Just Strays said the sentence was "too short. I'm happy he got sent to jail but I would have been happier with two years," the maximum.

"It was just a horrific thing and he never expressed remorse," she said.

Hunlock had been suspended without pay since he was charged and he officially lost his job upon sentencing. Gallivan said he was losing as much as half a million dollars in pensions.

Just before the Hunlock case came before him, Lange sentenced another man to five years probation for the same charge. Michael Johnson, 30, of Peekskill, stabbed his pit bull 30 times last year when it refused to leave with him after he argued with his girlfriend. Lange said the different sentences were due in part to Johnson's pleading guilty rather than insisting on a trial.

The dog, with 206 stitches, survived and was adopted, as was the cat that escaped the compactor at Sing Sing.

Copyright 2002 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-28-2002, 10:28 PM

Ok the cat jokes are beyond old. Can you guys find another topic to beat to death? Please?
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-28-2002, 11:27 PM
Founder

Garage
I agree, enough of the cat jokes please. They stopped being funny over a week ago.

Thanks.

Robert Basil
SportbikeWorld.com Founder
PocketbikePlanet.com Founder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-29-2002, 12:19 AM

that doesnt sound like a joke, but more like another piece of shit in our society.
when do you ever see me mad??

Joe!
1999 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R, 7,100 miles, Vance and Hines Titanium exhaust system, K&N, Jetted, synthetics, more to come soon!!!

1988 Mustang GT
1993 Olds Eighty Eight LSS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Co-owner/Administrator

post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-29-2002, 01:03 AM Thread Starter

When did going to jail become funny?

This is a recent development of a year old controversey that has gotten TV time on local news in my area, it has gotten more attention than a string of murders that have been occuring about ten minutes north on route 9 from Sing-Sing, The DA and local Political wannabe's would rather pursue a misjudgement by peer that works under some of the hardest working conditions possible,

When I read a similar version in a local paper the vindictive actions and misallocation of legal resources made me sick, While the judgement of the guard was certainly poor at best, a year in prison and an end to his career as well as significant financial loss, the article does not mention that when he gets out of prison he will not be allowed to vote, or get any halfway decent job as a felon, protective custody is also known more familliarly as solitary confinement, although in his case it would be preferable.

An old friend of mine had worked as a prison guard, he is a big tuff Irish SOB and the first time I ever met him he kicked me in the face, He became a prison guard because thats what his father did, these people are just regular people who come home from work and want to relax, my friend relaxed by riding around his neighbors CBR, One day he couldn't take it anymore and quit, That stuff you see on cable about prisons is watered down, these people get human feces thrown at them on a daily basis, The judge pandering to the voices of old ladies and pot-heads who have too much time on their hands or can't deal with other humans cannot properly gauge cruelty unless they have spent time at a "correctional facility",

These people have nothing to lose, many serving consecutive life sentences for various horrible things that they had done to other human beings while outside as well as inside prison walls, they get balanced meals and excercise as well as TV and other benefits that their victims or victims families would regard as impossible luxuries, They know that parole or early release are unlikely and to keep themselves sharp they play games on themselves as well as their "captors" and in this particular case the criminal won the mind game and the guard fell. The guard followed the policy on stray animals although in a more direct manner. And he was punished because of a well meaning law that was not followed by the letter of it's intent and stretched to satisfy a media circus, and overzealous judge.

I did not include the article to add fuel to the fire, but to provide an example of real life implications of the ever increasing awareness of animal rights, and a popular ruse of using the mistreatment of animals to distract from the much older problem of mistreatment of other people.

if I wanted to amuse people with stories of actual cruelty to animals I could have just posted the ludicrous lists of offenses of the British public animal cruelty programme which is graded from a ten pound fine for unnescessary kicking of a work dog to a twenty year ban on ownership for horse starvation. Although I would not expect less from a country that is also not well known for their human rights.
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-29-2002, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by hot_rocket78
Ok the cat jokes are beyond old. Can you guys find another topic to beat to death? Please?
That's no joke, you find it funny?

I think it's a perfect example of what can happen to you if you do cross that line we all joked about.
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-29-2002, 07:33 AM

I think a years imprisonment is pretty harsh but there is no justification for what he did and his career should be ruined.

There are enough facts to justify my statement. He told the inmate to put the kittens in the compactor and he wouldn't do it so the guard did it. To suggest that he was just using a more direct approach to current policy toward strays is crazy. He was using the killing of kittens to punish and inmate. That is a pretty simple thing to figure out. I'm going to go out on a limb here a assume that the policy says nothing about putting live kittens in a compactor.
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-29-2002, 08:10 AM

Angry

Did you see me laughing????????
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-29-2002, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by hot_rocket78
Did you see me laughing????????
I think this was a case some assuming the thread was a joke when it was pretty clear(at least to me it seemed serious) it wasn't.
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-29-2002, 10:12 AM

Personally, I think they should have brought him up on cruel and unusual punishment, because that's what he was doing. He took something that the inmate cared for, and destroyed it. Now, I'm not one for prisoners having big time rights, they're criminals, but I think that the prisoner shouldn't have been punished by having something that he cared for killed. I mean, the guard could have easily taken the kittens to a humane society and have them get adopted, then the prisoner would have at least had the peace of mind that the kittens would be cared for and loved.

But instead this gaurd took it upon himself to punish the inmate for having them, and in the process kill several live creatures.

He didn't get a harsh enough sentence, they shouldn't be served concurrently, they should be served successively...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode