WHAT THE!?! How the Heck!!!? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-28-2002, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

Red face WHAT THE!?! How the Heck!!!?

Just a funny little story....:

So I go down to the DMV to handle the process of registering the 55' AJS that I just got in from Australia right (PITA BTW). Since I was already going, I talked my wife into taking the Motorcycle written test because she has this cool little scooter (Like the Yamaha Vino) That I want her to be able to ride legally. Well she has never ridden a bike by herself and never even looked at the handbook, but she Passed the freakin' Test the first try!!!! Hell I didnt pass the first try!!! Alot of the test questions are so UN-logical~~~ So I guess thats probably WHY she passed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-28-2002, 06:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to UndrTkrCd Send a message via Yahoo to UndrTkrCd
Here's a hint of how she did it...

Woman's intuition.

Either that, or we're a tad bit smarter than men give us credit for.

Then again, it could have been just a fluke. Yeah...that must be it!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2002, 03:19 PM

Send a message via AIM to UndrTkrCd Send a message via Yahoo to UndrTkrCd
Thumbs up But seriously....

I really think the reason she passed the first time is due to a combination of things:

1) Some people are natural "test takers", and just have a feel for the correct answers.

2) I'd say it might also depend on the company you keep. If you hang around people who have bikes, who also share their experiences and knowledge, some of it's bound to rub off on you, which might give you "an edge ". At the very least, a clue about what's going on.

3) The X-File Theory - Perhaps it's one of those things that can't be explained. i.e. Why do they give directions in Braille at a drive up ATM? Who knows? But...the truth is out there....

BTW: When I moved from WY to MO, I had to take the MO driving test because my WY license had expired. I failed it the first time because I didn't use my blinker on the square. But, I got 100% on the written. Oh, well....I'm driving now!

So for all you folks who ever plan to drive in Missouri, all I can say is: You've been warned!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2002, 07:59 PM

Holy Smolies ... I don't know what the heck they make you do for a bike written test in the states..... but I don't think it's that big of a deal really.. is it?.. I wrote my test on an afternoon and glanced at the book while I was waiting to go to the exam and aced it...

A friend of mine.. had the book.. didn't read it yet..just had it.. I said "let's go write your test and you can read it before I let you go on my bike".. I showed him the controls on my bike... and told him the theory of "riding staggered".. you wouldn't know about this if you were never on a bike.. and he aced it...

so I don't know... it's all pretty much common sence..
1/2 the test is road signs . and the other half is just rational..
when coming to a set of train tracks do you:
a speed up
b slow down
c slow down and look both ways
d stop and go home cause you don't know.

sorry.. I'm very tired and in a bit of a snit today.. congrats to your wife I am shutting up now.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2002, 11:52 PM

In New York State there are twenty multiple choice questions, you must get fifteen correct to get a learners permit.

five of the qestions are about alchohol proof of various liquors and mixed drinks.

The questions are the same for a car or a motorcycle, so on your motorcycle test you can get a question like this:

If the throttle sinks to the floor what should you do?
put the transmision in neutral.
turn off the ignition.
pull it back up with your toes.
use the brakes to stop the car.

this happened to me when I took my test, although from when I took it to get my auto license I remembered the stupid question, which must have been written by someone who had never driven a car before, any starting mechanic is told that the brakes are stronger than the engine and if the throttle sticks to stop the car with the brakes to stall the engine, get out and see WTF is wrong. they didn't include putting in the clutch because anyone stupid enough to answer correctly wouldn't know what that is(manual boxes are rare in the states, glad the HondaMatic didn't catch on) but putting the clutch in or selecting neutral would blow up the engine if it didn't have a rev limiter, and killing the engine while in motion would leave a weaker person with no steering, and would require both legs to slow the car, of course the right answer was the one that I thought was a joke, you aren't allowed to drive with no shoes on, and a pedal stuck to the floor is hard to pry up with you hands let alone a foot with a shoe on it, go figure.

I have found it difficult to convince my girlfriend to ride my bike around the parking lot let alone get a permit, I have tried to use many arguements including "The judge will take it easier on you for your speeding tickets if he sees that you also know how to ride" and the ever popular "What if you are being chased by nazi's and you find a motorcycle like in one of those WW2 movies?"
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-02-2002, 05:30 AM Thread Starter

The problem here in the states, or at least CA. is that the people who write the tests like to throw in questions that either dont sound right or are just plain wrong. --> i.e. Where should you ride in the lane? left, right or middle? ~Personally, I like right but left is fine too, never middle cuz thats where the oil and antifreeze is. Well the answer IS middle cuz you have more time to react if someone comes into your lane! Our test has 30 questions and you can miss 4.
Maybe its just me, but I thought out test was a bunch of trick question B.S.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2002, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by HondaNut!
The problem here in the states, or at least CA. is that the people who write the tests like to throw in questions that either dont sound right or are just plain wrong. --> i.e. Where should you ride in the lane? left, right or middle? ~Personally, I like right but left is fine too, never middle cuz thats where the oil and antifreeze is. Well the answer IS middle cuz you have more time to react if someone comes into your lane! Our test has 30 questions and you can miss 4.
Maybe its just me, but I thought out test was a bunch of trick question B.S.
In my opinion the DMV can burn in hell. oops... Negativity sage is back
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2002, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lt.Gustl
"What if you are being chased by nazi's and you find a motorcycle like in one of those WW2 movies?"
LOL!!

Women, just don't understand simple logic.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2002, 05:25 AM

Have any of you ever tried to write a good multiple choice exam?

I didn't think so... so shut your pieholes.

I hate multiple choice exams. They are hard to write, they are hard to take but they are damn easy to grade so that is why the government likes them so much.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2002, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by RCjohn
Have any of you ever tried to write a good multiple choice exam?
Ya know, your so right John!

For a short while, I wrote training manuals at work -Like a special projects job for about a year...... of flourescent hell..

After writing my first manual, they review it and say, 'ok, write the test for it'. Huh!? ...uhh, ok...?

~It is Very hard to write good multiple choice questions! Who woulda thought?? On the bright side, the test was to be taken by peers/friends, so if they were a bit on the obvious side....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode