Losing the War on Drugs - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-19-2002, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Losing the War on Drugs

In 1980, President Reagan began what would be called by him and his successors "the War on Drugs". Every president who has followed him in the White House has continued what he started, regardless of party affiliation.

Mr. Reagan and his advisors told the public they believed that a war on drugs was the only way to stop the problem of useage of illegal drugs by our society, the only way to stop the ever escalating number of impaired persons whose lives became burdens on society and whose alcohol and drug addiction would also become the ever increasing in size stepchild of society.

The belief of all these administrations and of all law enforcement persons (at least those whose jobs depend on it) is this: if you take out the source, the problem will stop. So they invade other countries, denude the landscape, destroy ecosystems, destroy all crop bearing capacity of millions of acres of foreign soil, pay millions to poor countries so they do not grow poppy plants, blow up buildings, donate military personnel, DEA agents, CIA agents, Gulfstream aircraft, military aircraft, military munitions and armament, seize bank accounts, arrest people domestically and abroad, carry out hits on people in other countries, and arrest persons domestically and seize their property and money.

Has it worked? Lets see.

1. In 2002, our government will spend 19.2 billion dollars of our tax money on the "War on Drugs", or .$609 per second. State and local governments will spend at least 20 billion dollars of our tax money.

2. So far this year, over 80,000 persons have been arrested for drug law offenses, and the total for the year is expected to exceed the 1,579,566 arrests made in 2001. They all have to be incarcerated, and we pay for that too.

3. Medillin Cartel: gone. Cali Cartel: gone. Now there are many more smaller cartels that have taken their place.

4. Since 1980, drug related deaths have increased a whopping 540% (that is not a typo). Hmmm.....

5. Since 1980, incarceration for drug arrests has gone, what do you think? Down? Well, you'd think as much if the politicians and the cops were right. But no, it has gone up from 25,000 arrests in 1980 to a whopping 275,000 in 1995. Huh.

6. Has US drug policy protected children from drugs? In 1975, 87% of adolescents said it was "very easy" or "fairly easy" to get marijuana. In 1998, that percentage went UP to almost 90%. Since 1992, federal surveys show that adolescent drug use has gone up, not down. This despite ever increasing spending, arresting, seizure of property, and pouring millions of dollars into other countries, not ours.

7. Based on federal surveys and by definition of state and federal law, more than 50% of all high school seniors are drug criminals who should be imprisoned. Wow. Something is wrong here.....

8. Are more or less drugs getting into the country as a result of the War on Drugs? One fact for you here: Heroin availability is way up, the purity is way up, price per gram has gone from about $3,500/gram in 1981 to $1,000/gram in 1996. It is the same thing with the other drugs, only now we have Meth and Pot made right in our own neighborhoods.

The War on Drugs is a total waste of my and your money. It does not work, and it has been going on long enough. We are pouring money down a rat hole, and it is coming out of my wallet and your wallet. We are not talking about a leak in the dike but a full breach in the dam.

What we need is a healthy and fresh approach to our national and state drug and alcohol abuse policy (alcohol abuse dwarfs all drug abuse statistics put together). We need to be spending the money HERE, not abroad. Stop giving other countries military equipment and other aid in the name of the War on Drugs.

Public health, information, and a rearranging of our way of thinking of how we use drugs, alcohol and tobacco would be a start. More money into making half way houses or the like available for recovering addicts and alcoholics. More available in patient treatment and out patient treatment.

Get rid of the harsh penalties on drug users. We got enough persons living off my dime in prisons. Property seizures should only FOLLOW conviction, not precede it as is the case now. The forfeitures are just lining the pockets of the cops, and they are tying up prosecutors who could be prosecuting more serious criminals.

Any other suggestions?

Fuster

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster, and treat those two imposters the same....you'll be a Man, my Son!"

- Rudyard Kipling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-20-2002, 05:42 AM

I lose the war on drugs everyday! Damn Reagan for making me feel unpatriotic!
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-20-2002, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SquirrelMaster
I lose the war on drugs everyday! Damn Reagan for making me feel unpatriotic!
Not everyday for me..... Hey I'm catholic!!

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-20-2002, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by VFRSQUID

Not everyday for me..... Hey I'm catholic!!
Um...Alex, I don't think the war on drugs extends up into the wilds of Canada

Don't try to keep up with my life, you'll only get hurt.

-Mike
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-20-2002, 08:05 AM

That is the way I feel about welfare, but I don't see any big changes being made. After all, too many people have too much to loose if either go away or have the fat trimmed off.

Last edited by funksouljon; 03-20-2002 at 08:08 AM.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-20-2002, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SquirrelMaster
I lose the war on drugs everyday!
That would imply that you actually attempt to fight off the urges. How hard are you actually trying?

What is this? Littering and....littering and..... littering and......aahhh....aahhh
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-20-2002, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Stake

LOL!
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-20-2002, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Stake
That may be true, but I think a nice 10 foot wall running the border would help ensure thier safety. Just want to protect our brothers to the north you know.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-20-2002, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by funksouljon
That is the way I feel about welfare, but I don't see any big changes being made. After all, too many people have too much to loose if either go away or have the fat trimmed off.
I find it rather hyppocritical for you to state the above idea and then at the bottom of your message state: "Never give up, never surrender".

Fuster

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster, and treat those two imposters the same....you'll be a Man, my Son!"

- Rudyard Kipling
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-20-2002, 09:33 AM

Haha, the quote is actually from a movie. A comedy nonetheless. Not a personal mantra.
I am a full-supporter of the run-away today and live to run another day!

I believe in making a stand and fighting, if necessary, for what you believe in, but a blind fight or stance is ignorant. I don't believe the all out "war on drugs" was a sensible effort to begin with. Since I never supported it, my believing it needs reevaluation is not hypocritical at all but sensible in nature.

Last edited by funksouljon; 03-20-2002 at 09:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode