Sportbike World banner

Sprocket Change ?'s

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  DaDuck748 
#1 ·
I have read elsewhere on this forum about changing sprockets to liven up a bike. I have a 1991 ZX6 with standard 15/45 teeth sprockets and plan to do this but have a few questions first. Any help is greatly appreciated!
1. smaller front vs. larger rear?
2. how much is enough? 3,4,5,6 more in the rear? 1,2 fewer in the front?
3. what will fit? I already have a relatively new chain and existing sprockets. the chain adjustment is right in the middle now. what size sprockets will fit with existing chain?
4. which brand(s)?

Thanks

[Edited by 1991ZX6 on 01-20-2001 at 07:27 PM]

#3 ·
chris_y2k_r1 said:
The best route to go is larger sprocket in the rear by about 2~3 teeth. I suggest renthal aluminum. They are light and they last pretty long for aluminum sprockets. You may have to knock a link out of the chain.

I agree with Chris. :)

You shouldn't go down lower than the 15 up front. I think anything smaller would shorten you chain life due to the much smaller radius.

G
#5 ·
1991ZX6 said:
Chris, you said I might have to knock a link out of the chain? Isn't that just the opposite? I was thinking going up three teeth in the rear but I am worried that my chain will not be long enough. Am I completely confused here?
No you are not confused, If you go with a smaller spocket in the front, You'll probably have to remove a link. If you go with a larger spocket in the rear, You'll probably have to add some links.

Cool site BTW. Did you do the applet ?

#6 ·
I think I am going to go up three on the back. Probably a Renthal. Is there any way to "add" some links if necessary? Are extra links a good idea or is a new chain inevitable?

No, I didn't do the applet. I used a progranm called ANFY available at http://www.anfyteam.com/. I don't really know much web design. I do know to use Frontpage and Dreamweaver however.

#7 ·
You will need a chain break/rivit tool, like Motion Pro tools. You can add links, but I wouldn't suggest adding links to an old chain. I also wouldn't suggest the "clip-on" type link fasteners. They have a tendency to fly off, and the consequences are hardly worth the easy install.

Also, if you're not concerned about weight, you can go with a steel sprocket, which will last longer than the lighter aluminum sprockets, at less than half the cost of an aluminum one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.