Ninja 500 low compression on one cylinder - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Ninja 500 low compression on one cylinder

I rescently got a Kawasaki 2005 Ninja 500 with 7,000 miles that was sitting for a while and the carbs were clogged. I took them apart and cleaned them and put new carb kits in. I put it back together and it sputtered for a while and started to run okay. When I tried to ride it seemed like there might still be something in the carbs because it would rev up and run fine, but it had no torque like it should have. As I rode it for a few minutes it seemed to clear out kind of a half touque to full torque jumping back and forth and finally it ran good for about a few minutes, then it just went to back to half torque and has stayed there. I took it up to redline for a few seconds while riding it, but not just for a few seconds while trying to clean out the carbs. It was running like the high speed jets were pulgged and unplugging. However, now I did a compression check on it and one side has 180 psi and the other about 125 psi. I think the carbs are fine now. It runs and sounds fine it just takes twice as long to rev thru a gear. Anybody got any ideas on the low compression--valve adjustment, valve, head gasket, rings? Thaks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 06:38 PM
Super Moderator

Your best bet is to perform a compression test, or better, a leakdown compression test to determine what it is. It's either valves, rings, or cylinder head.

Dan
1991 FZR 1000 - built 1040 with race cams, Akrapovic full exhaust, and mild suspension work
2004 YZF R1 - Graves full exhaust, velocity stacks, BMC race filter, and Power Commander. Rear Ohlins. Forks rblt with Race Tech springs and Gold Valves.
2005 20th Anniversary V-Max (0098/2000) - T boost,
2005 YZF R6 track bike - Graves full exhaust, Race Tech suspension
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode