Help me pls. Bike wont start - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

Help me pls. Bike wont start

Alllright.

My life motorcycle wise sux for the past week. Was riding in the rain, pulled a fairly slow youie, back end came out quite a bit and the chain comes off. Was fortunately close enough to my apt to walk back but I was very depressed after. Took it out on saturday pulled everything off, cleaned the chain replaced everything, got a new cotter pin from work so I could retension my chain. Drove it to work fine, came outside after work and put the key in. Hop on and as soon as I press my finger on the electric start it shuts off. Key in the ignition and I have no lights in the gage display(nuetral, oil, etc) no horn, running or brights, turn signals, brake lights, nothing. Currently its sitting at my job, I'm gonna ask a buddy who is a bit more savvy with the electronics on a bike to help me but I need some info. I haven't checked fuses, battery, or connections but from what happened I'm not sure that's it. The bike is pretty old and I'm worried the connection that's soldered inside the key housing has come apart. I drive a 2000 ninja EX250R and if anyone has any advice pls help me out. I have decent mechanical experience, just not with this bike so any advice you give I would grealy appreciate locations or atleast where to look for the components. Again sry for the wall of text and Thanks much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 04:14 AM
Strength and Honor

I would start with the connections at the battery. When I replaced my battery not too long ago, I had an intermittent issue with power. Basically one of the connections was just slightly loose and that was enough to be a show-stopper. Check yours, being especially interested in any rust you've discovered. At that age, my guess is that you have some oxide layer giving you trouble so get out that wire brush!

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 05:16 AM Thread Starter

Just got back to work with a multimeter. Not the battery. What was weird was that I turned the key and the oil light came on! Pressed the autostart and everything shutoff, a second later oil light comes on and I press the electric start again and it cuts off again and stays off. This lead me to think that the battery was at fault, like it was storing a tiny charge but it couldnt handle ignition. Battery is at a full 12.63V according to the voltmeter.

We played w/ the key a little more and got it to turn on once more but same deal. And we can hear the very faintest hint of a crank but its for less than a second and then everything shuts down

Next plan is to start testing connections but I can't take up anymore work time out at my bike so while I'm stuck inside I am looking for an electrical schematic of the bike. Does anyone know where I could get one for free, or even for the low? Or if you have any advice as to where to start checking would be appreciated. I gotta look at the fuses but from the nature of the problem I dont think that is the issue.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 08:44 AM
Strength and Honor

Dare I suggest you have the battery tested? Do the easy things first

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 09:20 AM

It still sounds like a bad battery. That's exactly what my bike did when the battery died. Even though it shows enough voltage when you check the battery, it can't supply enough amps to turn the starter. Did you try jumping it?

-
"We didn't trade shoves; I did all the shoving." -Bobby Knight, 1981
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 09:25 AM
Strength and Honor

Anticipating the question, I would recommend Yuasa batteries

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Unfortunately guys it wasnt the battery. I read up on dead batteries and it seems like there needs to b a supplied voltage of greater than 12.2V and my batt was producing 12.6V. But I did check it again jic.

The reason I didnt think it was the battery is because when I did try and start it when the lights were on there was no voltage drop. Also with a dead battery the console lights would turn on but I wasnt even getting that.

Solution was a loose ignition fuse. I did some digging found the electric schematic and went to town w/ my multimeter. Everything checked out and so I was pretty stumped but I put my keys in after replacing everything and the console lights came on, tried to start things up and it went dead again. Checked the ignition fuse one more time and really jammed it in there and things were all gravy after that. A loose fuse caused all this frustration.

I'm thinking there was a bit of dust blockage or w/e involved as well so when I get home I'm gonna clean the whole deal up a bit. Any recommendations on safe cleaner? Or is water while the battery is disconnected fine?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 04:26 AM
Strength and Honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by abenn26 View Post
I'm thinking there was a bit of dust blockage or w/e involved as well so when I get home I'm gonna clean the whole deal up a bit. Any recommendations on safe cleaner? Or is water while the battery is disconnected fine?
I use an electronics spray cleaner anywhere electrical connections are used. Got it at an auto parts store, IIRC (Autozone, Advance, Pep Boys, etc.). I wouldn't use water if for no other reason than it promotes corrosion.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 01:36 PM

WD-40 will work just fine!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode