89 Ninja ZX600R stalling - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Angry 89 Ninja ZX600R stalling

I have a Ninja ZX600R which I just acquired. It starts up just fine, and with a little tweeking of the idle screw, it holds steady. The problem comes when I give it some gas. I can bring it up slowly to about 3000, then it starts to fall back on its own. If I give it MORE gas, it falls faster. I let off completely right before it stalls, and it struggles for a few seconds and then goes back to idle.

Any idea what is goin on?

Thanks,
Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 01:45 PM

Sounds like the carb are dirty and due for a cleaning
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, I was leaning towards that. I've never cleaned carbs before. Any idea what I should keep an eye out for in a situation like this? Clogged jets? Ripped diaphragms? Gas-logged floats?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Ok, I pulled the air filters off, and started it up just to see what I could find out while it was running. Maybe I'm wrong, but aren't the pistons supposed to go up and down? Is that significant?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armymedic42 View Post
Ok, I pulled the air filters off, and started it up just to see what I could find out while it was running. Maybe I'm wrong, but aren't the pistons supposed to go up and down? Is that significant?
Yes they are, they are supposed to open as the bike needs more air...in most bikes they are vacuum controlled. You should be able to push them open with your finger and when you let go the spring will close them but they shouldn't crash closed because they have to suck air back into the chamber.

I've not observed them in action but I don't think they move much with the bike in neutral and no load on the engine, but I'm just going off the fact that they're vacuum controlled and engines pull more vacuum when under a load.

If they are stuck and don't easily go up and down with your finger then it's just another sign you need to clean them

As for things to look out for in your carbs, just get them clean--dip the disassembled carb parts in carb cleaner if you can, replace any worn out o-rings or other bad stuff (like leaking float needles/seats), don't lose anything (ideally work on a nice clean vacant work bench so you don't lose the small stuff), keep carb parts together and don't mix them up between carbs, keep track of how many turns it takes to lightly seat the mixture adjustment screws so you can return them to the same position on reassembly, and lastly do as good a job as you can so you don't have to get in them again.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

I have had the chance to observe them on my last bike. When in idle, they did move up and down a little, but they were pretty much in the down position. These aren't moving at all. They do move freely when its off. Any recommendation on a good carb cleaner?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armymedic42 View Post
I have had the chance to observe them on my last bike. When in idle, they did move up and down a little, but they were pretty much in the down position. These aren't moving at all. They do move freely when its off. Any recommendation on a good carb cleaner?
Whatever does the job is what I use, for carb dips I hear alot of good stuff about berrymans and gunk, although I've also heard berrymans isn't as potent as it used to be--still as good as gunk or any others though, just no longer the undisputed best of the best. I've even heard of some even using safety-kleen for dipping and it working just as good as gunk and berrymans, may have to dip it for longer though. As for carb cleaner sprays, in my experience they are all about the same so I get whatever is on sale or cheap without going into the dollar store no-name cheap arena.

As for them not moving, it's likely the difference in bikes but as long as the diaphragm isn't torn, the slide isn't stuck, the spring isn't broken, and the openings for air and vacuum aren't plugged the slide will work as designed.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Well thanks for the help! I started doing some research on what I'd like to use to clean those carbs. I came across a product called "SeaFoam" and thought that the issue was probably some clogged main jets, because of the fact that it stalled when reved.

So, I went ahead and ran a can of SeaFoam through the carbs and crank case. I let it run a while reving every once in a while to shoot those main jets. Finally after about 10 minutes I revved it really high very sharply, and it sounded like everything just clicked all of the sudden, and now its smooth. Took it for a ride, and everything seems fine.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 12:22 PM

In my ninja ZX600R now it will not start if I jump I do not think it is because the battery causing it sounds like it has enough juice. but when she turns it on its own accelerates. even when I try to mount as soon as I get to 2, first gear it rubs itself 2 as 4000 rpm, and it sends me flying in the street.

Signature removed. If you are interested in advertising, please visit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to obtain vendor status.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode