Coolant leak on GSXR - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

Coolant leak on GSXR

I have a coolant leak on the left side of my bike. I cannot see the leak if I idle in the bike at a still, but if I ride it on the street for awhile the leak develops. I cannot pinpoint the leak, because when riding at speed the wind blows the coolant everywhere.

I have torqued all bolts on the left side of the bike to the specific values. I replace the overflow resevoir tank. I replaced the hose from the radiator overflow to the overflow resevoir, and the clamps.

I attached picture of the area.

If anyone has a clue what to look for or replace then please help.

thanks
Attached Files
File Type: pdf GSXR leak.pdf (597.8 KB, 297 views)

"Don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter."

"When I drink, something happens. This guy called Buzzy comes out. And he proceeds to do whatever he wants, I guess'' - Wayne Rainey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 11:15 AM
Strength and Honor

Have you already tried revving the engine while in neutral to see if you can replicate the issue? I'm thinking that if the revved, hot engine is causing greater coolant flow due to increased engine speed (not bike speed) you're more likely to find it.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

I cleaned the bike up good, removed the resevoir to get a good look, and then let the bike idle.

The overflow hose gradually released coolant as the bike temp went up.

Around 200 degrees I started reving the engine up to 6K RPM. More coolant started coming out the hose.

I never saw coolant anywhere except what was coming out the oveeflow hose.

I should now disclose that I never bought factory replacement hose or clamps. I went to the local auto store and bought a hose clamp kit with assorted clamp sizes, and I bought a section of fuel line that matched the ID/OD of my coolant line.

Any thoughts?

"Don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter."

"When I drink, something happens. This guy called Buzzy comes out. And he proceeds to do whatever he wants, I guess'' - Wayne Rainey

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 10:00 AM
Strength and Honor

I'm not sure I follow so I'll ask about the overflow. Are you saying the coolant was coming off the radiator cap back into the atmospheric coolant reservoir? If you let the bike run with the reservoir connected does the reservoir overflow through its atmospheric vent? I'm wondering if your radiator cap is not operating correctly, releasing too early.

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Are you saying the coolant was coming off the radiator cap back into the atmospheric coolant reservoir?
A: Yes

If you let the bike run with the reservoir connected does the reservoir overflow through its atmospheric vent?
A: It is not shown in the picture, but I do not have a hose on the vent at the top of the resevoir. No, the coolant does not overflow through the vent at the top of the resevoir.

I'm wondering if your radiator cap is not operating correctly, releasing too early.
A: Yeah I thought the same thing, because the bike was around 140 degrees when the radiator began overflowing into the resevoir. Should this info be in my tech manual?

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 05:19 AM
Strength and Honor

Maybe. Its a pressure valve, so the temperature is proportional to the pressure (PV=nRT), presuming steady amount of coolant. I suppose I'm thinking those caps are usually cheap and it might be worthwhile just replacing it to see if the situation is resolved.

I'm really surprised by the coolant at 140F but I never checked my old '84 bike to see when that happened on it. On the one hand I wouldn't think there's be much if any coolant flow between the reservoir and the radiator. Contrarily, when you bike heats up, the coolant expands, possibly pushing out some coolant into the reservoir. Then when the bike cools, it contracts, pulling some coolant back in from the reservoir.

Check my first thought. Go through an air bleed exercise (see service manual) on the coolant system and then recheck to see if its still coming out at 140F. If so, then I'd replace the radiator cap.

I found this nifty link that might be interesting if you don't know much about this part of the bike already.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

I ordered a new radiator cap just to be on the safe side. What could it hurt?

In the meantime I found the coolant leak and you would not believe where. If you go back to the PDF picture I posted you can see the billet stator cover. There is a 2" long scratch in the "R" on the cover. You can't see it in the picture, and I cannot even get a fingernail into it, but this is where it is leaking. There seams to be a stress fracture in the cover.

This cover came on the bike when I bought it. I got to looking and found that the only place it is sold is on EBAY by some company in China. There is no manufacturer other that the "GSXR" engraving. The price is between $26-69 depending on who is selling it. The seller states it is made from "high quality aluminum" i.e: recycled aluminum that has not been stress relieved. I imagine the hot/cold cycles of my bike caused this crack. Tell your friends not to buy this crap product.

I thought there was only oil behind the cover, but it seems there must a coolant vane as well.

Now do I take off the cover and weld a bead over it, or do I drop $150-200 for a cover? I am a cheapskate, so you know my answer.

thanks for the help kanswich

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 05:07 AM
Strength and Honor

No way, a crap product from China? You can't be serious. I'm sure you're mistaken. Check again

Great to hear you found it!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode