another one for the pro's... maybe - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

another one for the pro's... maybe

My bike will not start. '02 F4i Original battery died last year, ordered a brand new one a few weeks ago, still would not start.

Possible causes:
1) I jumped it twice last year with running cars. Didn't know at the time that that can be harmful, however the bike seemed to run fine after each time and battery would be good for a couple starts after putting it back on the tender.

2) I charged the battery once without disconnecting it from the bike. I dunno if this is harmful or not. I also tried starting the bike while it was on the tender. Again, I hope this was not a stupid mistake on my part.

Corrective actions taken:
Tested the bank angle sensor, fuel cut-off relay, and engine stop relay - all seemed fine. They are the most readily accessible to test, so I just started knocking them off the list. I guess my next steps will be to pull the fuel tank and take a look at the fuel lines, the injectors, plugs, MAP sensor, etc. but thought I would see if anyone on here had any wise advice first.

I also notice that when I try to start, the fuel pump primes, all lights/blinkers work properly, engine turns over, just doesn't fire. And I can smell fuel through the exhaust pipe. The service manual says that a certain number of blinks of the FI light on the guage refers to a certain problem. My problem there is that it has been inconsistent - I've seen 1 blink, 7 blinks, 8, and 9 blinks. Seems to keep changing when I try to start.

Think it's electronic problem? Fuel problem? Hopefully I can find out soon because the weather is getting nice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 08:24 PM

Sometimes when you try to start a FI engine with a low battery the plugs will short out. Make sure your battery has at least 12.9-13.4 volts. Then I would start with a new set of plugs, especially if you are smelling gas.

Jumping off a car or starting while attached to a battery charger/tender shouldn't hurt anything as long as the polarity is correct. I've done it several times with no problems.

I consider myself lucky if a battery lasts more than a couple of years. Seems like most starting problems come from bad batteries and/or plugs. Especially if the bike has been sitting awhile.

A few ccs short of a full litre.

Last edited by mac020; 04-17-2009 at 08:36 PM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 08:02 AM Thread Starter

THanks Mac. Makes sense that I'd be smelling fuel if I was getting no spark. I still have the original plugs in there anyway so this will be a good opportunity to replace. Hopefully that is my issue.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

Well, new plugs in, fresh fuel, bike back together, still not firing

Tested the ignition pulse generator and cam pulse generator once back together though and the cam pulse generator tested at .3V when it should be at .7 min. Anbody have any experience with these? If that's not the issue, my only other guess would be the injectors.

It will prolly turn out to be something incredibly stupid like the kickstand switch or something.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 06:06 PM

Down to basics...do you have fuel, fire, and compression? Wet (fuel covered) plugs indicate fuel so you need to check spark. At least that's where I'd be at this point. My guess is you don't/won't have spark BUT if you do then I'd have to wonder why your getting fuel fouling on the plug.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catback View Post
Down to basics...do you have fuel, fire, and compression? Wet (fuel covered) plugs indicate fuel so you need to check spark. At least that's where I'd be at this point. My guess is you don't/won't have spark BUT if you do then I'd have to wonder why your getting fuel fouling on the plug.
I'm pretty sure I have fuel. as the lines were flowing when I took the tank off and I can smell it out the exhaust when I try to start it.

I'm pretty sure I have compression as I can feel it at the end of the pipe and can hear it turning over.

Seems spark is the issue, but what is keeping it from firing? When you buy new plugs do you have to gap them? I just took them out of the box and put them in the bike... Stills seems it would start and just run poorly though. I have not tested the connection at the coils, guess that'll be my next step.

All normally operable combinations of kickstand up/down, clutch in/out, in gear/out of gear failed.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 11:10 AM
Resident Smart Ass!

Send a message via AIM to Jester Send a message via Yahoo to Jester
Are the CBR's cursed with the Regulator/Rectifier problem that plagues the VFR? I thought my battery died, got a new one, and a month later same problem. I found the the R/R was overheating (common problem). So I got a new one and tada, no more problems.

Help control the squid population, have your squid spayed or neutered

"it's not the smart ass behavior that gets to me... it's the dumb ass behavior that is a problem..." -Quote from my Aunt.

Only motorcycle riders understand why dogs stick their head out of car windows.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 07:11 PM

1) Jester may be on to something you may not be have enough voltage to start and your battery is not getting a charge!
2) YES you need to gap the plugs!
3) I have seen bad brand new batteries.

If you can start the bike with a jump, check that the voltage at the battery is around 14.5 volts @ about 3000 rpm.

You can also check the spark by removing a plug and grounding it. watch for a spark when you crank the engine. What ever you do don't touch it or else!!!!!!!!!!! although that is a sure way to tell wether or not you have a spark.

Also you might want to disconnect the headlight to see if that helps.

A few ccs short of a full litre.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help guys. Got her started last weekend. Pulled the plugs back out and gapped them (they weren't too far off out of the box), put her back together and tried to start, and this time it fired maybe 2 or 3 times, but would not start. But at that point, I knew it was not some crazy issue like I was afraid of, so I hooked it up to the car battery (w/o the car running) and let her crank. Then she finally started, ran like junk the first couple starts, but the third time she was like new, and has been since. I think I may have just been a victim of letting it sit too long without running. Maybe had some stale fuel or bad stabilizer left in the system as well.

Glad to be back on 2 wheels
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2009, 11:52 AM

Glad that fixed your problem, and hope the correction sticks. One thing to keep in mind is that in the rear there are a few relays that tend to corrode (turn a nice green patina like the statue of liberty) and those will DEFINATELY stop your bike from running and are usually the last thing's "amateurs" like us check. A professional bike mechanic helped me diagnose mine one year and after about 4 hours we found that was my problem. If you have the time, take off the rear cowl and check those just for peace of mind. Mine were on the brake side (right) of the bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode