clutch wear, slipping, or something else? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

clutch wear, slipping, or something else?

My bike has started slipping in RPM when I am near redline. This only happens in 1st or 2nd gear, around 10-12K RPM. I get to this area and the bike doesn't loose power, but if feels like it stops pulling for a split second, before engaging. The bike "feels" good to me when taking off from a stop, so I don't think the clutch needs adjusting. The bike has not jumped out of gear, and it is not difficult to shift.

I have started shifting prior to 10K just so I won't ruin anything premature. Does this issue sound like the clutch plates need to be replaced?

thanks

"Don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter."

"When I drink, something happens. This guy called Buzzy comes out. And he proceeds to do whatever he wants, I guess'' - Wayne Rainey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 06:11 AM

Hard to tell from your description. By slips, do you mean the rpm climb without a corresponding increase in speed? If so, do the revs come down for a bit afterwords, as the clutch re-engages? Or is it more like a hiccup in the power delivery? Does the slip dependent on how hard you get on the throttle, or just the rpm?
So far it could be
Slipping clutch (also it should slip in lower revs as well)
Slipping tire
Fuel delivery issue (fuel pump unable to deliver enough fuel)
Ignition issue (coils unable to fire often enough, bad insulation on spark plug wires, bad contact to plugs)
Something else entirely

More details bud....

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Vash- some valid questions you ask. I honestly was not keeping an eye on the tach at every second, so can't tell exactly if the RPM's were dropping. It felt more like the power delivery was not there for a split second. If I slowly open the throttle it does not happen, rather when I have the throttle cracked open I notice it.

I doubt my tire is slipping; I am only saying this because I had my R1 cracked wide open through the gears and it never broke loose.

It (the clutch?) has never slipped in lower RPMs (<8000).

It's difficult for me to say with certaintly it is the fuel system. There was a time when my bike ran like crap below 8000 RPM. I could not figure it out, so I took apart every electrical connection and cleaned in with contact (electrical) cleaner. This issue went away, but can't say why it got there in the first place.

When I hit this spot on the powerband it feels like I am slipping the clutch, because when it "grabs" again I feel a tug of power again.

>press send> computer computate > then Vash says.....

"Don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter."

"When I drink, something happens. This guy called Buzzy comes out. And he proceeds to do whatever he wants, I guess'' - Wayne Rainey

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 06:06 AM

Sounds like you have to go out and play. Find a nice streight road, away from any cops ("But honestly officer, I wanted to see if my clutch was slipping" will not get you out of a ticket).

Try to recreate the problem. In low gear, at the right rpm get on the gas untill you feel it "slip". First find out exactly what it takes, so that you can do it at will. Don't worry about further wear, if your clutch is slipping, you'll have to replace it anyway.
Watch the tach and speedo while this is happenening.
If your clutch is slipping, the revs will surge forward, without a corresponding rise in mph, or feeling of acceleration. The revs should actually come down afterwords, as you are speeding up, as the clutch catches traction.
If your tire is slipping (and it is very possible, you may have gotten more aggressive since your R1), Then the revs and the mph will surge forward, without the feel of acceleration. Then both will come down as you speed up (assuming of course that your speed pickup is on the counter sprocket, like on most new bikes, and not on the front wheel like the older ones. Should be easy to tell, just see if you have a cable going to the axle of your front wheel. If you don't then the sensor is in the counter sprocket).

if its a fuel or ignition issue, it should be worse with the bike on the stand (be damn careful about this, the bike can jerk as you get on the throttle, and if it falls of the stand with the back wheel spinning that fast, its going to be VERY bad).

If you feel sufficiently talented, it should be easier to make the clutch slip by dragging the rear brake.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

It will be a while till I get my bike back on the road. It has a coolant leak; presumably from an old rubber hose, and I have the tail section off to fix some cracks/holes.

I will let you know as soon as I get it back together.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

I finally got out on my bike this last weekend. Here is what I know of it:

The bike does not "slip" in any gear if I slowly roll on the throttle up to redline.

If I crack the throttle wide open, I will feel a "slip" in power in first and second gear, but not in 3rd on up.

TO meel it feels like a hiccup in power and not the wheel spinning. I honestly need to go ride around a little more to find exact data.

I'll keep you posted.

P.S. Where would the typical places you would find a coolant leak on the left side of a bike?? I replaced my overflow resevoir, two hoses and clamps, and still I have a coolant leak. The thing is I only see coolant on my bike from the resevoir and below.

Thanks

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 09:46 AM
Strength and Honor

So the leak is near the top of the engine/frame and you've replaced the coolant reservoir and hoses..... There isn't much else up there that I can think of except the top of the radiator. The cap's on tight, right?

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

I started a new thread on the coolant leak.

Search "coolant leak GSXR"

thanks

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Here's the deal:

If I slowly roll on the throttle up to redline in any gear I do not notice any "slipping"

If I crack it open in 1st or 2nd SOMETIMES it 'pops' out of gear, or the RPM climb like i pulled in the clutch, and the bike does not pull. Then as I roll off the throttle it grabs and I can continue to accelerate. This happens around 10K.

If I crack it open it 3rd, or 4th the slipping does not occur.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 05:09 AM
Strength and Honor

Its not fully engaging into that gear. In another thread Vash wondered about an oil issue, which is a cheap way to ensure that's not the problem. I doubt it here. Rather I would guess its simply wear on the plates/springs. Use it for stunting, clutching it out? If so, that'd be a pretty large wear point. So would clutchless shifting if you were just learning on it.

EDIT: BTW, I have had this happen to my 636 when I don't jam it into gear sometimes. The tranny on my bike is probably my least favorite part.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode