Leaking Gas....please help - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2008, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

Leaking Gas....please help

Im new to motorcycles and recently my bike began leaking gas after i had it running. I started it inside the garage just to make sure everything was working alright, and a few hours later i noticed gas all over the floor. It is leaking from a hose that seems to be some kind of overflow/runoff. I planned on getting the carbs and oil changed soon, but now i have a bike with no gas in it. The bike is a 1999 GS500 with 18k miles. Im sorry for the stupid questions, im new to bikes. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 04:16 AM

Hey, I am originally from Ohio, been here in Alaska for 16 years or so. First, I assume this is recent. Is the bike in cold storage, or semi-cold? It's possible that there could be some wierd fuel expansion shit going on. I'm no tech, but I'd wait till spring to fuck with it too much, or worry. Now, if the fuel was coming from the engine, and you could plainly see that, i'd worry and give the bike to the shop now to take their time on all winter (my shop discounts if I do that).

Just my

Welcome to riding!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the response. Is it possible that carbs are really dirty and somehow allowing gas to flow freely into the motor?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 10:39 AM

Wow, a bike with carbs. Since they control air flow and gas mixture, i'd have to say "maybe?" . It certainly can't hurt to remove and clean, would only help, that is if you're mechanically inclined at all. I know carbs are supposed to be a basic, basic things for mechanics to do.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 10:53 AM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
Did the gas come out while it was running, or afterward? How long had it been since you last ran the bike? Did it completely drain your tank? Are you sure that's an overflow hose, and not a fuel line that became disconnected?

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

I have cleaned car carbs before, so hopefully there is not much difference. It began leaking after running. I turn it on every 2 weeks to get gas flowing, and make sure everything is working. The hose it was coming out of has been in there since i bought the bike, and i asked a buddy of mine why there seemed to be two disconnected hoses and he told me it was a overflow....the tank appears to be almost completely drained.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 06:36 AM

Sounds like a kinked vent, unless you overfilled the tank to begin with.

Fill the tank up till the pump stops, no further. Run it, then stop, verify that it is leaking fuel. (Do this away from open flames). Fill it again, run it, then open the gas cap. The leak should go away. If it does, pull up the tank and look for a kinked/blocked hose

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 08:47 AM

Send a message via AIM to 97yzfinwyo Send a message via Yahoo to 97yzfinwyo
stupid question

I dont know if your gs has it or not but a friend of mine has a gs and for some reason somebody turned it to prime on the gas valve and all her gas ran out.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 06:09 PM

Not to get all technical but sounds like a stuck/leaking float needle, in addition to checking/cleaning the carbs and whatever else you plan to do, make sure you don't have gas in the oil before you run the bike again. Having gas in the oil will ruin bearings if you run it that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97yzfinwyo View Post
I dont know if your gs has it or not but a friend of mine has a gs and for some reason somebody turned it to prime on the gas valve and all her gas ran out.
She too has/had a leaking float needle valve.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2009, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

The oil needs changed anyway. If i change the oil and clean the carbs, would that fix/prevent any problems? Im sorry for the horrible bump, i've been way to busy lately.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode