Compression 03 600RR - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

Compression 03 600RR

Anyone done a test on the compression re the 600RR 2003. I did mine and have 135 pounds across the board give or take a pound. The bike runs great, but I checked it to be safe as it has 50,000 miles on it. I did a wet dry test and there is no change in the readings.

When I check my manual the readings from Honda are 175 pounds, so I am a bit confused. I actually called them to see if there was a typo in the manual - being the first year for the 600rr and all. They confirmed it should be 175.

I checked my compression gauge on another bike and it is reading correctly.

Anytime I have had a problem with valves or rings on other engines it has been evident in the compression being low on one or two cylinders, but to be down on all four and down the same amount doesn''t make sense. I suppose its possible to have equal wear on valve guides or seats but it doesn''t seem logical, especially on a bike with multiple valves per cylinder for both intake and exhaust.

Anyone with any insight on this - feedback would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 04:55 AM

after 50k the cylinder walls and rings are going to be worn a little bit, it isnt going to have perfect compression with that many miles on it. The only weird part is that when you did a wet compression test it didnt change at all, usually it will get a little better when this is done, even on a new bike.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 04:59 AM

also if you are worried about a leaky valve or leaking rings you can do a cylinder leak down test, with a diff. presser tester. This puts air into the cylinder from an outside source. with the piston at top dead center when you put 90 psi into the cylinder it should hold 15% or better, and if a valve is leaking badly you will be able to hear it through the intake or exhaust, or if a ring you will be able to hear air leaking from the oil fill.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 05:03 AM Thread Starter

Yes, I think a leak down test is next on the agenda. Looking to buy a leakdown tester and there are several on e-bay at a reasonable price. Any recommendations from anyone who has purchased and used one would be appreciated.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 06:48 AM

snap on or mac tools are both nice. i have both, just be carefull cause you will need to use an adapter for the correct threads and when unscrewing the tool sometimes it will leave the adapter in the spark plug hole, and its a pain in the ass to get back out, so make sure tha adapter is real tight on the hose for the tester. Also, when doing the test its always normal to get a little noise from the valves and the rings, nothing is ever tight enough to block all air, but anything excessive should be imediately noticeable. If you think you have a valve problem rum a vaccum test, when running if the vaccum needle is jumping around alot you have a problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode