2004 gsxr1000 dash quit - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

2004 gsxr1000 dash quit

My digital dash went blank on my 04 suzuki gsxr1000. Just bought the bike week ago. At school now and can't locate fuse box. Any ideas on why it would go out and where is the darn fuses located! Please help!

Last edited by rainman66; 09-22-2008 at 02:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 05:22 PM

The fuses are located under the seat. Take off the passenger seat, tail plastics, and that will let you access the one screw holding down the seat.

Before you go that far, check the connector at the back of the dash. That happened to me once...

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Thanks so much for your help. The connection seems fine. I am at school right now 40 miles from home so I won't be able to take the bike apart here I figure. I guess I will just follow a car home. The mph went first then the rpm's. May be more serious then a fuse but hoping for a quick fix! Thanks again!

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 06:37 AM

What about other indicators, like temperature, or turn signal indicator, brights indicator, etc?

It really sounds like a connection issue. A blown fuse would have killed everything at once. Both the sensors obviously work, because your ECU would not let the engine run without them (or at least you would notice that its not running right, probably would only rev to 2-4k rpm).
The connectors can get water in them and corrode, so disconnect the one at the back of the dash and see how it looks, then plug it back in, see if you get anything. If that doesn't work, trace the cable (it should go under the tank to more connectors under the seat, or tank) and unplug and replug those.
If all that fails, it might be just your dash unit thats messed up. If you have a friend with the same bike, try plugging their dash into your connector, and see if that works.
Lastly, it could be the ECU, but that a last resort.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info Vash. I am going to really dig into it this weekend. I work 48 hours a week and go to school 28 hours a week so time is hard to come by and you may of just saved me some! My indicator lights seem to work fine (neutral, blinkers and such) but I lost my odometer, mph, temp and rpms. Followed a mini van home! Just didn't want picked up for speeding and since I am not real familiar with the bike yet and its sound, couldn't judge my speed yet. Just was hoping the van wasn't speeding! You seem to know alot so let me ask you something, would you know if a dash off of a 2005 gsxr1000 would work on my 2004? I would love to have the gear indicator but am not sure what I would need to get it working. Any ideas? Thanks again and ride safe!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 04:55 PM

Ouch, thats a tight schedule. I don't know if the '05 dash would work, but I'm guessing it wont. Is there one you can try? If the connector fits, that it would work just fine.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainman66 View Post
Thanks for all the info Vash. I am going to really dig into it this weekend. I work 48 hours a week and go to school 28 hours a week so time is hard to come by and you may of just saved me some! My indicator lights seem to work fine (neutral, blinkers and such) but I lost my odometer, mph, temp and rpms. Followed a mini van home! Just didn't want picked up for speeding and since I am not real familiar with the bike yet and its sound, couldn't judge my speed yet. Just was hoping the van wasn't speeding! You seem to know alot so let me ask you something, would you know if a dash off of a 2005 gsxr1000 would work on my 2004? I would love to have the gear indicator but am not sure what I would need to get it working. Any ideas? Thanks again and ride safe!

03-04 will work together. How many miles does this bike have on it? I am thinkin it might just be the speedo itself. I would try a friends or a different one.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

The bike has 14000 miles. As soon as it hit 14000 it went out. I am going to check the connections over real good when I get time though I don't really think thats it since my indicator lights work. I am also going to check the speed sensor. Wish I could find a bike that I could swap with but no one around here has one compatiable with mine! Small town!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 12:52 PM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
Too bad you're on the other side of Columbus from me. I've got a couple buddies that are a whiz with bikes and could probably have it fixed (if it's not the cluster itself) in no time.

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

Got the dash working. Thanks for everyones help. It was the connection under the left front cowl. The red wire with the blue stripe got disconnected from the pin in the connection. All of the connections looked corroded so I got new ones from radio shack and redone them all and installed the dealer mode switch. Thanks again for all of your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode