2nd gear slips out - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

2nd gear slips out

Im riding a 94 Katana and when i shift into snd gear and give it gas the bike slips out of gear. i was told that the last owner put a ring in backwards when changing the clutch. Has anybody had this prob, or know enough about transmissions to help me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Also i checked out prices on 2nd gear jus in case and it comes up with 2nd drive and 2nd driven. Do i need both? If not how do i know which to order?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 06:50 AM

Its not the gears. Normally I would say that you have a bent shift fork. However, I can't entirely rule out the previous owner messing up the clutch, also you would think it would have a problem with all the gears if that was the case.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 06:59 AM

After thinking about it abit, While I still think the most likely culprit is the fork, it could also be a worn shift drum, or rounded dogs on the gears. I dont know of a way to tell ahead of time without taking the tranny apart and looking. If it is the dogs not getting good contact, a different oil may help, at least for a while.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 07:21 AM
Strength and Honor

Glad you mentioned the oil, Vash. Trep, make sure you've got the right oil level in the sight glass first. And I assume the oil isn't automotive oil that has the starburst on the front of the bottle, because that can be a common cause of slipping gears.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 07:44 AM

Oil is the cheapest fix, but I dont think its the most likely cause. Energy conserving oils can cause the clutch to slip, but not the gears to pop out. Wrong oil weight will sometimes make gears difficult to engage, but again, I havent heard of if causing gears to pop out. However, there is always a first.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 08:31 AM

Tranny problem

I'm with Vash, it sounds more like a transmission problem to me. Same symptoms commonly associated with a bent shift fork.

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son." - Vernon Wormer.- Dean, Faber College.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

it only slips out of 2nd. From what i hear its a ring in the trans put in backwars. i can use 2nd to engine brake but the min i give it gas it slips.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trep View Post
it only slips out of 2nd. From what i hear its a ring in the trans put in backwars. i can use 2nd to engine brake but the min i give it gas it slips.
Sounds like the dogs are worn on the one side, the shift fork might be bent from being thrust out of 2nd too. If it is as bad as it sounds your looking at possibly replacing 6th driven, 2nd driven, and the associated shift fork. As far as a clutch ring put in backwards, it's not possible they are double sided and it doesn't matter which side faces in so long as the order they're put in is correct. Sound like the previous owner shifted the bike like shit, probably clutchless.

Trans on a bike are time consuming, if you do it do it right so you only have to do it once. In other words while the cases are torn apart fix anything that you notice that needs fixing. It's no fun to pull the engine and split the cases a second time or even a first time, hence why I never bother with clutchless shifts no matter how many milliseconds it'll shave off my commute or lap time.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

cool thanks! middle fork was worn really bad, the gears look good. 6th gear works fine so i think im jus goin with new forks and sliders
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode