1994 suzuki rf600r and velocity stacks - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

1994 suzuki rf600r and velocity stacks

What are velocity stack someone told me to get some to improve horsepower, what im looking to do is to increase power on my 94 rf 600 (trying to stay caught up with the newer 600 in straight lines i dont to so bad in the corners) iv put a faster front sprocket on it for better acceleration, im looking into getting a full d&d exhaust and a jet kit, but i was wondering what the best performance airfilter was (currently have a k&n) and what velocity stacks would do for me the bike stock has 100hp at like 11k rpms or some were around there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 11:36 PM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
Not sure they make them for your bike, but basically all they do is allow for better flow of air. I've heard mixed reviews about them. If you've got a K&N you should be fine in that area.

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

its an old gsxr motor from what iv read some id think someone would have them i just have to do some more research on them i guess, and i dont no but someone told me there was a better air filter they said i costed a little bit more then a k&n but he said it was worth it i want to say he said bmc but they dont look like there anymore then a k&n.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 01:33 PM

What velocity stacks do is regulate the speed of incoming air, improving cylinder filling in a specific rpm range. Short stacks work best for high rpm, while longer stacks work best for midrange. When factored in as part of a complete engine build they can increase power, but added onto a stock engine, any gains would be minimal.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyrf600r View Post
What are velocity stack someone told me to get some to improve horsepower, what im looking to do is to increase power on my 94 rf 600 (trying to stay caught up with the newer 600 in straight lines i dont to so bad in the corners) iv put a faster front sprocket on it for better acceleration, im looking into getting a full d&d exhaust and a jet kit, but i was wondering what the best performance airfilter was (currently have a k&n) and what velocity stacks would do for me the bike stock has 100hp at like 11k rpms or some were around there.
All fine, but on a stock engine I seriously doubt any of the things mentioned are going to be a big increase.

The pipe might be a few horsepower, the jet kit might be a few horsepower, but none of it's going to be enough to get you caught up to a new 600 rocket on the straights, IMO.

AFAIK, only the bottom end of the engine is from the GSXR heritage. The top end is different and does not have the same power-making potential in stock form as a GSXR engine.

I have the same thing with my RF900. It's fast and all, but a bolt on pipe and jet kit ain't gonna let me run with the big dogs when/if they want to flat out boogie. I'd be lucky to hang with a new 750 on the straights.

Last edited by Whoaru99; 05-04-2008 at 05:35 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 08:26 AM

Whoaru99 pretty much got it right.

Frankly, you're fighting a losing battle trying to build build enough horsepower into your RF-600 to keep up with current 600's. Just look at the math- your bike puts down about 80-82 rear wheel horsepower. New 600's are at 105-110.

On top of that, at 469 lbs wet weight, your bike is relatively light, but it's still 30 lbs heavier than the new 600's.

But so what? Who cares if you are a few bike lengths behind on the straights? They're only about 5-6 tenths ahead of you in an all-out 1/4 mile dragrace. And from a rolling start, the difference is even less noticeable. Appreciate your bike for what it is, there's still plenty to like. There aren't that many RF-600's out there, the styling is unique and (in my opinion) pretty cool looking, and the RF is much more comfortable than a lot of the newer bikes. And you probably spent a 1/3rd as much for your bike than a new one.

Besides, any chump can go fast in a straight line. The real fun is in the twisty stuff anyway- show them your taillights when the road gets tight.

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son." - Vernon Wormer.- Dean, Faber College.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode