What needs to be done to a bike after it sits for a few years? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 12:55 AM Thread Starter

What needs to be done to a bike after it sits for a few years?

A friend of mine has a '91 katana with 20k miles sitting in his garage right now. A few years ago he used to ride a great deal and parked it in his garage to do some work on it. He took the fairings off, prepared them for paint and took off the carbs to sync them up. Life got in the way, and 3 years later its still sitting in his garage with primered fairings and the carbs sitting on the bench.

I've been wanting to get into sportbikes for quite some time, and last weekend he told me I could have it if I come and pick it up out of his garage. So my question is, what maintenance should I do to a bike that's been stored improperly for 3 years before its safe to ride?

I don't know a whole lot about working on bikes, but this is what I am thinking:

-Obviously put the fairings and carbs back on!....after painting the plastic in a bright color for visibility
-new tires
-new brake pads/fluid
-fresh oil
-new battery
-fuel/oil filter
-flush coolant
-chain/sprockets?
-new plugs?

Is there anything I am missing?

--Alex

Last edited by raptor22; 04-27-2008 at 02:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 07:14 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to DemonRR
change out ALL fluids, coolant, brake fluids, oil, fully clean out the fuel system, clean out the carbs, new tires, lube all needed areas, check chain and replace if needed.

Redline Superbike Member

2004 Honda CBR 1000rr WSBK TenKate Hann Spree race replica

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

That's it? Shouldn't be too difficult. Thanks for the response.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 07:14 AM

Yeah, that should be pretty much it. Tires might not need replacing as long as there isn't any cracking evident on the sidewalls. Battery might still be ok if your buddy left it on a charger. Brake pads, chain/sprockets, and spark plugs might all still be perfectly fine, depending on when your friend last replaced them. I'd check the wear on those items before replacing. No need to spend money that you don't have to. Although you do have a helluva deal there- a free sportbike! You have a good friend.

One other thing I would check is to have a peek inside the gas tank, if it wasn't properly stored (preferably with a full tank of gas + fuel stabilizer) there could be rust in there.

Anyway, good luck with your project. Hope you get it running and out on the road.

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son." - Vernon Wormer.- Dean, Faber College.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode