MMI Ya or Na - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

MMI Ya or Na

I wasn't really sure where to post this thread. I figure this is as good a place as any. I was thinking about going to the Motorcycle Mechanics Institute (MMI). I was really serious about it until I started reading some negative reviews about the school. People saying "don't waste your money" and "you can learn just as much working in a shop". It is a lot of money to spend, ($23,000), for a year and a half of education. I am mechanically inclined and love to take things apart and figure out how they work. However, I thought I could learn alot more about motorcycle systems and getting factory certified sounds pretty good.

I would like to hear your thoughts on this. Maybe some of you have gone to MMI and can tell me your experience.

-Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 01:45 PM

Never been, but I'd agree that you could probably learn just as much by working at a shop. However, the question is, can you get paid just as much without a diploma?

I would go talk to several dealerships, and see how much they would pay a tech with and without a certificate, both at starting, and after a year.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 01:53 PM

I think getting factory certified goes a long way in terms of crediblity and long-term earnings potential within the industry.

I have two friends that went to MMI. It seems that once you graduate, the demand is certainly strong because MMI helped job-place them immediately. One of them went through the entire course, got employed at a shop, and found that he didn't like it! He always had a kind of "get rich quick" attitude about things and was dissatisfied that the entry level salary coming right out of school wasn't what he expected. Apparantly, even with the MMI degree, they start you out slow before letting you tackle the big stuff. In this friend's case he was doing a lot of set-up work- taking new bikes out of crates and assembling them. The way he made it sound is that you have to put up with grunt work and grunt pay for a little while before you can work your way up. He wasn't patient enough to wait for that.

Now, the other friend is a completely different story. He is now one of the most highly respected master mechanics in the state of Arizona. He was also a privateer racer on the AMA Superbike circuit for several years and still holds the lap record at Firebird Raceway in Phoenix. He retired from racing last year. The shop he worked at sponsored him. Basically, he's living the dream.

So, in short, I guess it really comes down to what you make of it.

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son." - Vernon Wormer.- Dean, Faber College.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode