2000 SV650s won't start - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

2000 SV650s won't start

I don't know much about bikes to be honest(this is my first season riding, still don't have my license/haven't rode yet).

My dad helped me put the trickle charge on my bike a week ago to recharge the battery. We threw it all back together. Today I decide to start it up just to see that everything is working since I hadn't started it since we recharged it(It was so low before we charged it that it would barely turn if at all and wouldn't start).

I put the kickstand up, turn the key(lights are bright as ever, horn is very sharp so the battery isn't low), flip the switch in the proper position, hold the clutch lever down, hit the button and nothing... Adjust the choke...nothing. Take the seat off thinking there might be something I could see. Realize I don't really know what im doing and decide not to monkey with the battery/fuses. Put the seat back on. Try it one last time for good measure and still nothing...

Try again, and again, and again, and again. Not once to I get a peep out of her. I don't have a clue what the problem could be. I haven't had my dad look at it yet though but if you could point me in the right direction or give me some possible ideas it would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 03:23 AM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
This is a shot in the dark, but is it possible the cable from your battery to your starter was disconnected somehow?

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 01:58 PM

Another shot in the dark....Is the bike in neutral, with the kickstand down, when you try to start? If the lights work, etc. there should be enough power to at least make the solenoid click.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 02:26 PM

Does nothing mean it doesnt turn over, or does it mean it doesnt fire up?

If it doesnt turn over, make sure the bike is in nue. kickstand is up, and clutch is all the way pulled in (suzis dont start without the clutch pulled in, kawis do). If you can hear the solenoid click, but the engine doesnt turn over, your battery contacts are either loose or corroded, or the battery isnt holding a charge. If the solenoid doesnt click, your clutch sensor, kickstand sensor, or tranny sensor is malfunctioning.

if the engine turns over but doesnt fire, you got a fuel problem (I'm pretty sure those bikes are carbed). Could be that your carbs are gunked, or something simular. There is also a chance your plugs are dirty and need replacement

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 02:41 PM

its carbed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode