Plastic fairing surgery - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Plastic fairing surgery

I'm currently fixing my street plastics since, well... it's been a long ass time since I've had them on and now that I have track plastics, I might as well have the other. I have a huge assortment of spare plastics laying around in my garage, mostly rashed (mind you, I've fixed my bike up three times - one total rebuild).

The only plastics I really need to fix before I paint is the front/upper faring and the left mid faring. I could easily just buy a replacement one, but hell, I could just fix what I have with a little work.

The Red one is the one I'm fixing. The left side piece broke off from the Deals gap trip. I've already made repairs to it earlier. It's also missing the left upper wing that's lost. How can I repair something when I don't have all the pieces?

Exhibit A:

This faring was given to me by the original owner when he wrecked and it's been in my random bike parts for the past two years. Never know when you need shit. So I planned to use the black upper wing as the donor faring and fix it onto the red faring.

I've lined out a straight edge to cut on both the red and black fairing. I did this so I can cleanly cut the piece and easily attach it with out too much modifications. Using a dremel, I cut a clean line on both.

To attach the donor piece, I used an empty box and cut a slit through the side to have a portion of the piece held up. Having supports is important when you plastic weld otherwise, they'd just fall off. I could use some foam pieces, but a box and a water bottle is what I had at the moment.

You can see here where I cut the piece out.

Front fairing fixed. Now off to my mid faring. I have 5 rashed right mids and 1 rashed left that's a bit broken. I'm missing the mount hole for the left mid that I need, but I don't have another left mid to use as a donor. What do I do?

Exhibit B:

I'm going to cut and transplant a section from a right mid(bottom) and fix the left(top). The curvature and angles in that perspective look very similar so that's where I'm going to cut from.

It's a little hard to measure an odd shape like this, I just roughly estimated the size I need leaving about 1/4" inch margins to cut away and shape the piece. I again use the dremel to cut the piece out and shape.

This is after a good 30mins worth of cutting and shaping. The new piece fits perfectly in and looks like it conforms to the faring quite nicely. Now just add some plastic weld and it's ready for paint after some other minor body work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 02:45 PM

Wow, Frankenbike! No, just kidding; it looks like you're doing a pretty good job there!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-19-2008, 05:49 PM

Interesting bit of work you are into JBaz, hope it comes out properly & appreciate the photos to also feel it would be good to see at the end as this is like from the start.

I am accustom to rebuilding minor bits of f/glass, but not ABS plastic other then a chap with the equipment to weld & did such a good job to a minor part as he was a body shop man & good painter unfortunately no longer around though probably if I look around I can find some with his touch.

The f/glass was pretty hard stuff & said fairings were the early ones more like a shell rather then all the modern cockpit stuff of present day sportbikes. Believe me f/glass took one 'ell of a pounding & stood up well.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 08:25 PM

also if you want to make a more seemless look to where you replaced pieces you could use bondo, I think it should work on the plastic, and once it is sanded and painted it looks good.

Can anyone confirm it works on plastics? I have only used it on the metal body of a car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode