How do I..... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-21-2007, 12:50 AM Thread Starter

How do I.....

I just got an 04 r6 a d I need to know how to lower it. Can anyone here give me a clue?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-21-2007, 04:43 AM

The front is lowered by sliding the tubes thru the tripple tree. To lower the rear, you need lowering links like these

Its important to lower both ends the same ammount. If you lower the rear and not the front, it will kick the forks out, giving you a greater rake and trail and making your bike behave like a cruiser, it wont turn as well. If you lower the front without the rear, you risk making the bike unstable, headhsake more, and possibly even tank slap.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-21-2007, 07:39 AM

HEYY!!! you did buy an r6... congrats!

as far as lowering the bike... vash pretty much summed it up! make sure you adjust front & back. some people i know lower the front just a tid bit than the rear, They say it improves cornering, but I havent read any literature about it so I'm not sure! If you need to get rid of extra inches you can probbly shave some of the foam in the seat. r6 seats are already somewhat uncomfy so shaving off some of the foam isnt gonna make a difference!

good luck with the new bike. be safe!

Hot girls are like turbos: a little edgy, every guy wants one, most guys cant handle them and if you throw a little alcohol in the mix... THEY'LL ROCK YOUR WORLD

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-21-2007, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by r3yrey
HEYY!!! you did buy an r6... congrats!

as far as lowering the bike... vash pretty much summed it up! make sure you adjust front & back. some people i know lower the front just a tid bit than the rear, They say it improves cornering, but I havent read any literature about it so I'm not sure! If you need to get rid of extra inches you can probbly shave some of the foam in the seat. r6 seats are already somewhat uncomfy so shaving off some of the foam isnt gonna make a difference!

good luck with the new bike. be safe!
I dont know if "improves" is necessarily correct. Lowering the front, or raising the rear makes the bike turn in quicker, at the expanse of stability. Its of a greater benefit to an expirienced rider, who is more subtle with his inputs, than it is to a new rider whom is more likely to get in trouble when the bike is less than rock steady at max lean. If you do choose to go this route, it is better to raise the rear than lower the front, since lowering takes away ground clearance, and max lean angle.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-21-2007, 09:49 AM

I've also heard that lowering the front increases flickability,

I wouldnt think stability will be too much to worry about for a average street rider, true ya know

But you must get your hands on one of these for you front forks to be balanced

If you dont know where the rear links(I call em' "rear sets") are, check it

Last edited by ochoa0042; 12-21-2007 at 11:25 AM.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-21-2007, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ochoa0042
I've also heard that lowering the front increases flickability,

I wouldnt think stability will be too much to worry about for a average street rider, true ya know

But you must get your hands on one of these for you front forks to be balanced

If you dont know where the rear links are, check it
I think stability would benefit the average street rider more than flickability. Considering 90% of riders initiate their turns too early and all

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-21-2007, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the congrats.

The only reason I want to lower it is because I'm short and at its current size I can stand with the balls of my feet touching and I feel it would be safer if I could or almost could flat foot it.
What is the standard.. should I be able to flat foot on both sides? Or is the balls of your feet pretty much how people feel on it?

As for being safe...YOU BETCHA!! I wanna ride it not look at pictures of what it used to look like.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-21-2007, 11:30 AM

what I meant,

is that it wouldn't be too noticable to the average rider
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-21-2007, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 5dirty
Thanks for the congrats.

The only reason I want to lower it is because I'm short and at its current size I can stand with the balls of my feet touching and I feel it would be safer if I could or almost could flat foot it.
What is the standard.. should I be able to flat foot on both sides? Or is the balls of your feet pretty much how people feel on it?

As for being safe...YOU BETCHA!! I wanna ride it not look at pictures of what it used to look like.
I cant flat foot my 10, I tippy toe or one foot it everywhere I go. Its not really too big of a deal for me, except during something like coming up to a stop sign on a sharp downhill on gravel. That ussually makes me feel like I stand a good chance of dropping it. But anything over parking lot speed, and it stops mattering.

I did, however, ride a buddies bike for a few month that I could flat foot. That was more comfortable.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-21-2007, 12:14 PM

For the record, "Rear Sets" and "Lowering links" are two completely different things!!!
Rear sets relocate your foot pegs, while lowering links shorten the rear suspension linkage, lowering the bike.

Raising the rear/lowering the front both effectively decrease both rake and trail, decreasing the stability of the bike. Trail functions similar to caster in car suspension in that greater trail means greater directional stability, but slower turn in.

For street riding, where you spend a greater proportion of your time going straight, this is undesireable. You want stability to keep the bike pointing where you would like to go. On the track, where you spend a greater proportion of time turning, you'd rather have less trail (stability) and less rake (faster turn in).

With my suspension set up for the track, I can barely touch the ground with both feet, Just tip toes.

I said all of this to make a simple point, Don't go screwing with your suspension just so you can put your feet flat on the ground. Your toes are plenty. Poorly set up suspension can be far more dangerous (high speed crash) than not being able to get your feet flat on the ground (low speed tipover).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode