clean your motorbike helmet - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-14-2007, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

clean your motorbike helmet

http://sportbikeguy.com/garage/floor...ide-clean.html

saw this link while surfing the web, what does everyone think, a good way for cleaning your helmet? i though doing this was bad for the glue's & wat not in the helmet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2007, 04:35 AM

wow ! didnt realize you should clean the inside, im afraid it might take away the beautiful brown color and musky scent inside my arai
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2007, 06:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by ARKninjaZX9
wow ! didnt realize you should clean the inside, im afraid it might take away the beautiful brown color and musky scent inside my arai
yep screw it keep it dirty. lol

but really i never new you could do this, i guess i'll give it a try now & post up if my helmet falls apart, kbc vr2, top gun.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2007, 07:43 AM

One advantage of colder Western Cdn., along with two Shoei helmets & not being one for sweating--------makes it easier for me then for you chaps in warmer parts of North America.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2007, 03:05 PM
Super Moderator

I haven't used that method in a while, but it works. Biggest thing is to make sure you THOROUGHLY rinse out all the soap, or you'll end up with a worse smell than you started with.

Nowadays I remove the removables and give it a good "sponge bath." But I change out helmets every two or three years typically.

Good find.

Dan
1991 FZR 1000 - built 1040 with race cams, Akrapovic full exhaust, and mild suspension work
2004 YZF R1 - Graves full exhaust, velocity stacks, BMC race filter, and Power Commander. Rear Ohlins. Forks rblt with Race Tech springs and Gold Valves.
2005 20th Anniversary V-Max (0098/2000) - T boost,
2005 YZF R6 track bike - Graves full exhaust, Race Tech suspension
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2007, 06:26 PM

Before you start to notice the bad smells (reason for a 2nd helmet) you can give the inside of the helmet a few shots of Febreze. The big one, for me since I ride the mtn roads all the time, is the visor smacked with dead critters. So when riding I carry any container of Plastic Protectant lile Plexus, Armor-all, 505, SAS, to even lemon Pledge.

The mainthing is to have a CLEAN piece of soft cotton so you can wipe the bugs off & when home I do the same so the next day I start off with a clean visor.

Do not use kitchen paper cleaning towels/sheets for they will end up scratching the soft plastic. I have seen chaps pull into fuel stations & use the course brown paper sheets & shudder over the mess they are making to the visor.

Also with Pledge it is a WAX so you can continue to do the rest of the shell of the visor & not have to look for something special. Also before Plexus came into existance all the people working on aircraft to choppers used------ues Pledge.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2007, 07:50 PM

I shoot some plexus inside on the front area below the sheild....takes care of the area where i can smell.... now...to get that balaclava smellin better...sheez it needs cleaning
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2007, 11:02 PM

I cleaned my visor... once... Lol, between riding in rain (Blue skies when I went to work at 11 this morning, but pouring by the time I got off at 10 this evening).

Well, it kinda cleans itself with the rain. The inside hasn't started to bother me yet, but this helmet only has maybe 2k miles at most on it, almost all of that in cold weather.

I can't wait for summer... this riding in bad weather crap sucks.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2007, 11:26 PM

Believe me come normal riding I am cleaning the visor at least four to six times a day plus when at home. Some of you may have become accustom to filthy visors with a lot of scratches on them, not me for my left eye is usless & can only count on one eye.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 01:15 AM Thread Starter

Just finished drying off my helmet, smells & feels awsome, i didn't use soup though, i ended up using some baby shampoo worked a treat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode