Buffin out scratches - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Buffin out scratches

So my step dad scratched my new bike on the shed door (smooth wood) and now the tail section has a gross lookin scratch in her... dont think itll need sanding but i imagin buffin it would make it look better... how should i go about this and what should i use?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bikes fucked!!! 013.jpg (224.7 KB, 76 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 05:49 PM

Scratches on my fairing, dings or scratches in my petrol tank, to scuff marks on my muffler to marks on my engine casing. Are things I accept as being okay since they are not hindering the bike in any way. Let us say they are sort of street/hwy scars & make the bike the one that others will not steal.

I do not feel I have to bring the bike back to looking like it just came off the showroom UNLESS I will need to do so in selling the bike & in most cases I sell it "as is" & the buyer knows I am not covering up any damages on the bike PLUS I keep a daily log on the buyer which the buyer is welcome to have.

Mind you if it is a broken mirror or shattered signal light then I will replace it or repair it. A bent hand control lever which I obtained on my '00 Honda 929 only a week after buying the bike, as some twit rear ended me at a stop sign. With patience I rebent it, but in the mean time I had ordered one & the new one is still in parts related to the 929. Like removed brake lines as I put in Kevlar to pillion riders footrests as I do not carry pillion riders.

Also there is a box for '97 Yamaha YZR600r parts like original frobt brake lines for again replaced with Kevlar to again the pillion riders footrests & some other things. You see in '03 foolishly I was riding far to fast in some twisties, hit some sand, & end result was I totalled the nose piece, to the right side of the main panel, totalled the signal light & the mirror. Other scuff marks on the front mudguard, to some of the fairing under the seat area, but let them go along with the ghastly exhaust system, but it is not hindering the power. A ding in the petrol tank I accepted. The frame saver on the right side folded back the max of the nuts ability, but it saved other engine parts from damage. So removed the nut for the frame slider & obtained one of the same strength & now in while the scuff marks on the frame slider are facing down towards the pavement & have to point it out to freinds. Again I have the patience & actually bent the brake lever back again plus painting the end weight & a bit of the pipe going into the can & they are still standing up after four years of use.

Last edited by Smitty; 11-07-2007 at 10:28 AM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Well that's great dude, thanks for the reply. I'm 16 years old, saved up for months upon months, sold my dirt bike and now I have this. I spent 3g to get it, and it was in mint condition before this. I've always said, "fuck it I don't care what it looks like" but just the fact of how it went from mint to not so mint in one day of owning it pisses me off. I want those scratches out! lol

Anyone think paying someone to buff it out for me (while I have nothing better to do over the winter season) I don't want to make this worse than it is. And wouldn't mind the bike lookin sharp for the first time I take it out (legally) haha

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 04:27 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to DemonRR
i am a professional auto detailer. here is some advise on getting it back to showroom fresh.

scratches--

start by washing the bike really good. then use a polish. use it like you would by waxing your car. using a new wax applicator, go over the effected area. let dry to a haze and remove it with a microfiber cloth. NOT a bath towel, or ect. only a microfiber cloth. do this 2 times. if the scratches are still there, use a mile/light compound (not turtle wax shit either). apply this the same way as described above. do this 2 times also. if the scratches are still there.. apply a coat of glaze. this will fill in the remaining scratch. apply using the same method as i mentioned above. do this step 2 times. follow up with a couple coats of wax. the glaze will fill in what ever scrathes are left, and the wax will give the glaze added protection.

in a nut shelll--

2 coats of polish 1st
2 coats of light compound
2 coats of glaze
2 coats of wax.

buffing out scratch using a "wheel" d/a sander-- i would advise you not going this route as you will/can "burn" the paint rather easily if you dont know what your doing. plus bike paint is not nearly as durable as car paint.

Redline Superbike Member

2004 Honda CBR 1000rr WSBK TenKate Hann Spree race replica

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 06:44 AM

There is a product called "Safe Cut". Made by "The Wax Shop" This should do the job. I used this on my bike when I re-painted her. It took out 400 grit sanding on non-cleared paint and brought it to mirror type finnish.

Here is info and purchase if you cant find it locally.

http://waxdepot.safeshopper.com/161/784.htm
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 01:31 PM

Send a message via AIM to 97yzfinwyo Send a message via Yahoo to 97yzfinwyo
scratch?

the hell with that scratch get a tire
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 10:36 AM

Agree with the above, put the money into a tyre, or essential things that the bike needs. After all you are going to obtain more scuff marks unless you are one of the few that NEVER has a slight accident. Remember after 53 yrs of continual riding I went down with the Yamaha YZF600r as I so mentioned above, & believe me I have had many incidents before.

Like so many of my customers at the m/c shops would be in with a long sad look on their face in the late 40s to the late 80s, because the bike went down & so said skid marks. I was able to talk 99% of them out of correcting said minor bit of damage & to put that money aside for essential things lke even petrol is essential.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode