520 conversion - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-29-2007, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

520 conversion

I have an '07 ZX6R and wanted to get a little more low end torque and was looking at a 520 sprocket and chain conversion. What gearing do people usually go with? I don't stunt, don't wheelie much at all or have much interest, just want a little more ummph without losing too much top end. What do you recommend? This seems like a fairly inexpensive way to gain some torque, are there any drawbacks? Do I need a speedo healer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-29-2007, 12:53 PM

For most 600 class sportbikes many people go -1 in the front and +2 in the back.

Advantages - more low end torque.

Disadvantages - decreased mileage, and inaccurate speedometer and odometer readings (they will read high in proportion to the gearing change.) So yes, you would want a speedohealer.

If most of your riding is in town, or in aggressive canyons, or you track the bike, it's probably worthwhile. If most of your riding is on the freeway for long trips, it may be annoying.

Also, while the 520 has plenty of strength for a 600 cc application, it won't last as long as a 525, so you will replace chains and sprockets more frequently.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-29-2007, 10:21 PM

Yet an inexpensive step would be one tooth less at the front, which is equal to 2.5 teeth on the rear AND no extra cost on the 530 chain on the bike now. Some like the bit extra take-off power, though harder on fuel in all cases when one is gearing down & cannot reach the bike's top speed.

Only people keen on a 520 & not a 525 or 530 is those that a deep into road racing only as the 520 chain & sprockets a less weight. Mind you they will not last as long & so are changed almost before the next race. Still for us normal rider a 530 is the answer for some good milage.

Last edited by Smitty; 11-03-2007 at 12:15 PM.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 08:30 AM

if you need a chain and sprockets i would reccomend staying with the 525 chain....the 520 wear our quick. i burned through mine in like 10k miles or less. but you have to get a new chain if you replace the sprockets with anny more or less teeth.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Meat_Shield
but you have to get a new chain if you replace the sprockets with anny more or less teeth.
Not necessarily - it depends on how aggressive the gearing change is, and how much of an adjustment range is present at the rear axle. The reason that going one down in the front and two up in the back is so popular is that normally, a different chain (or at least a different than stock length) chain is not required since the larger rear compensates for the smaller front .
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

Thanks!

Thanks for the information. Most of my riding is done around town, with limited expressway driving. I hopefully will get to the track next year a few times though. Hopefully during this cold Michigan winter, the manufacturers will come up with some more add ons for the '07 ZX6R. There isn't a whole lot out there just yet.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 06:46 AM

What about if you want to downgrade back to the standard chain/sproket. Will the bike go back to normal? I do a lot of in-town riding but a fair balance of expressway too. I am riding a '02 gixxer 750 though.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by hypnotizes
What about if you want to downgrade back to the standard chain/sproket. Will the bike go back to normal? I do a lot of in-town riding but a fair balance of expressway too. I am riding a '02 gixxer 750 though.
Well... yeah.

A 600 benefits more from a gearing reduction than a 750. I can tell you that right at this moment, I'm actually running a tooth lower on the rear than stock on my 05 750 because some buttwipe at the dealership put the wrong sprocket on, and I failed to notice it until a few weeks later. Honestly, I can't tell the difference in riding, so I won't bother with it until I go through another chain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode