Synthetic....? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Synthetic....?

Hey Gang! I have a 1993 Zuk RF600R. I want to switch to a full synthetic oil. Friends have said it is wonderful and would help in my older bike. My question is what do I have to do to switch over? Anything special other than drain, replace filter and fill with synthetic?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 02:57 PM

That's it.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Mister Tee
That's it.
So the leftover oil in the system will not interfear with the synthetic or vice-versa?

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 03:09 PM

Any luck with those problems you were having, Z.?
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Rundog
Any luck with those problems you were having, Z.?
RUNDOG! How goes it mate? Im still having minor issues. The idle problem has physically presented itself to me like a ghost. I was at idle at a light and the bike went from 2k rpm to 200 rpm. I wrapped the bar to get it back to idle and it went to 5k rpm to ZILTCH then to 10k. At that same instant I had an overwhelming smell of gas. GEE.... I think a bowl or 2 are flooding out seriously so tomorrow the carbs will come off for a cleaning and a Mannometer will be attached to sync'em out. Its starting to get cooler here and since the bike is my only vehicle, if I dont do it now, she will be real grumpy when we see the 40 degree weather and lower.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by zeroplace
So the leftover oil in the system will not interfear with the synthetic or vice-versa?
None whatsoever. There is a myth that once you go to synthetic, you can't switch back to normal oil. Complete bulls***t. Modern oils of the same weight are completely compatible with each other, whether they are standard or synthetic oil.

The only real consideration is just to use an oil that is compatible with your wet clutch, e.g. that doesn't have molybdenum additives. Any motorcycle specific oil will be fine, and there are some automotive oils not containing friction reducing additives that will also work, but you need to be a little careful on that.

The Tee is a big fan of synthetics. Wear just stops, and they can tolerate higher temperatures. I use them in cars, motorcycles, and aircraft.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

So any Synthetic "Motorcycle" oil will do fine? I run 10W-40 and the local parts store sells the Mobile-1 Full Synthetic Motorcycle Oil. I'm sure that will be fine for clutch and trans.....?
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 09:39 AM
Strength and Honor

Quote:
Originally posted by zeroplace
So any Synthetic "Motorcycle" oil will do fine? I run 10W-40 and the local parts store sells the Mobile-1 Full Synthetic Motorcycle Oil. I'm sure that will be fine for clutch and trans.....?
The starburst that implies friction modifiers were added are what's to blame with slipping clutches. Anything lacking that is a viable option. This is only based on what I've read, however, and I don't recall anyone actually saying they experienced clutch slippage as a result of these modifiers.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kanwisch
The starburst that implies friction modifiers were added are what's to blame with slipping clutches. Anything lacking that is a viable option. This is only based on what I've read, however, and I don't recall anyone actually saying they experienced clutch slippage as a result of these modifiers.
Good point. Neither have I. I run Motul 300V full synthetic in the Gix, but at some point I might just try a standard Mobil 1 synthetic car type oil just to see what happens. What the hell - I have 40,000 miles on it.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 02:48 PM

i use the synthetic car oil. works just fine, although its getting harder to find the ones that dont have that energy conserving shit in em. i think i used up my last bit of mobil, they put the garbage in it now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode