Quick Question - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 05:53 AM Thread Starter

Arrow Quick Question

HEY EVERYONE I AM NEW HERE AND JUST HAVE A REAL QUICK QUESTION I HAVE A 98 HONDA 900 RR AND I WOULD LIKE TO BRING ALL THE POWER BACK TO THE MOTOR AS IF IT WAS NEW HOW MUCH CAN I EXPECT TO SPEND ALSO IS THIS SOMETHING THAT I MIGHT BE ABLE TO DO I AM NOT AN IDIOT WHEN IT COMES TO MECHANICAL THINGS I HAVE WORKED ON MANY CARS OF MY OWN BUT NEVER REBUILT AN ENGINE ALSO IF ANYONE KNOWS OF A GOOD SHOP IN THE WEST PALM BEACH AREA IT WOULD BE A GREAT HELP

THANKS IN ADVANCE

JAMES
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 07:03 AM

First things first buddy, could you drop the caps?

To "restore" power, you first have to know how much is lost. I'd start by changing the plugs and filters, which shouldnt run more than $100 and should be easy enough to do yourself.
Next step, I'd look into rebuilding the carbs. Probably a couple huindred for a rebuild kit, if you are willing to do the work yourself.
Next step would be to check the valve spacing. You are looking at about $100-$200 for the shim kit, should you need adjustment, but the procedure is somewhat complicated. You'll need to remove the intake and exhaust to gain access to your ports.
From there I'd go to a compression test, and see if all your cylinders are sealing well. If there is a problem there, you'll need a complete top end rebuild, which means removing the engine from the frame, and pulling off the top end. You will either need to lap your vavles against the seats, or replace the piston rings, and if you made it that far, you might as well do both.
Bottom end rarely has problems that cause a loss of power, however it could have problems that are waiting to turn into catastrophic failures, so check for any tapping noises.

Hope that helps

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 07:26 AM

Didn't I read on another post that this was your very first bike?

That being the case, you're going to have may more power than you know what to do with anyway. I'd just concentrate on learning to ride the thing. If you haven't already taken the MSF course and gotten your license, that'd be the place to start.

Aside from "restoring" the power, what is your reason for wanting to rebuild the engine? Is the bike totally hammered and actually needing a rebuild? Does it have 100,000 miles on the engine?

"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son." - Vernon Wormer.- Dean, Faber College.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 07:48 AM Thread Starter

Sorry about the CAPS i use it for work and i forget to take it off sometimes yes this is my first bike but i would rather have a bike that runs perfectly from the start. Also i have taken my MSF and i am working on getting my license i would like to have some amount of ride time before i get on for my test. My bike has about 30K on it. I got a good deal on it and there is a tapping noise coming from the motor which is what brought this post.
I think it might be the valves but i could be wrong .

Thanks again for tryin to help guys
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 10:18 AM

If your goal is to have a bike that runs perfectly from the start, trying to repair a used bike that apparently has some engine damage is a losing proposition. You will come out ahead selling it, and buying a bike that doesn't have any apparent damage to the engine. A complete rebuild will run you somewhere between 2K and 4K. A used Ebay motor, installed will probably run you maybe half the cost.

But I agree with others that unless the engine is obviously thrashed, there is really no reason to rebuild it.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-29-2007, 08:16 AM Thread Starter

Yea ....
Pulled motor out found out a cylinder is dead
YAY now im working on getting a newer engine in . Ill post some pics when its all said and done
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-29-2007, 10:36 AM

So obviously Vash & the rest of the chaps were correct & now you have yourself into a more costly factor as they so mentioned.

The days of reboring, larger carbs, larger valves, high lift cams, to higher comp pistons----------& so much more are things of the past & yes I went through the same, but then that was back in the late 40s to the 70s & things have changed so much.

After all, by the mid-80s the Jpn makers had really advanced into superior suspension on stock bikes to better stopping power & were doing the same in the power-plants.

I remember well, when out of curosity, a 55cc Honda was traded in to a 90cc & we pulled the power-plant apart to just see what it was like. That is when I stepped back & said something like, "The darn think looks more like the inside of a watch" compred to my British bikes.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-29-2007, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty
That is when I stepped back & said something like, "The darn think looks more like the inside of a watch" compred to my British bikes.
I hear you. The innards of those old Triumphs and the like resembled something designed by James Watt that might go in a ship.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-29-2007, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

I am still going to try to salvage the 1st motor for a possible rebuild i am still not sure how bad the insides are but soon enough
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode