brand new 208's screwwwed - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

brand new 208's screwwwed

Barely have 150 miles on them and picked up a big ass screw....anybody trust a plugged tire?????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 11:59 PM

Re: brand new 208's screwwwed

Quote:
Originally posted by akcbr
Barely have 150 miles on them and picked up a big ass screw....anybody trust a plugged tire?????
No.

That insurance they sell through cycle gear is looking pretty good right now, isn't it
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-23-2003, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

Re: Re: brand new 208's screwwwed

Quote:
Originally posted by R6steve
No.

That insurance they sell through cycle gear is looking pretty good right now, isn't it

never heard of it, but i'm gonna go to their site if they have one...

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-23-2003, 09:54 AM

https://www.sportbikeworld.com/showth...0&pagenumber=2

and here is my post from that thread:

after reading the rest of the posts, I think I should tell my story. I was going about 70 MPH when my plug came out. I never felt the tire blow, all I know is, when I leaned the bike over to enter a curve, it didn't turn. 70 MPH, straight off a curve. My memory stops when my front tire hit the dirt at the edge of the road, and picks up again when my helmet touched down on the asphalt (I somehow managed to slide in the dirt down the edge of the road with just my head on the asphalt). All I could hear was that awful grinding noise of my shoei being reduced to dust. I suffered a sperated shoulder, 2 broken ribs, sprained ankle, fractured bone in my left foot, and PLENTY of road rash where my pants tore away, my jacket sleeve rolled up, and the back and side of my jacket pulled up. The bike ran into me after I finally sild to a stop. The bike was basically totalled. If it had been an insurance repair, it would have been a write off. Unfortunately, I didn't have full coverage. So, its been a little by little, piece by piece repair job. Its now back on the road, but every piece of plastic on the bike is damaged in some way. The price of a new tire would have been FAR less then what I've ended up paying in medical bills, and repair parts for my bike.

So, in summary.... Replace the tire. That barium shit they make you drink before your CAT scan tastes TERRIBLE... I wouldn't want you to have to go through that.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-23-2003, 10:02 AM

Send a message via AIM to duessel
I have plugged and road on several rear tires including a D208, so you have my OK. Now front is a different story. I would replace that.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-23-2003, 10:08 AM

Send a message via AIM to ga_skyline_rydr Send a message via Yahoo to ga_skyline_rydr
Kevlar, that is a horrible way to have to learn something. My riding buddy had the same thing happen to him on his new dunlops, except the back tire ended up with the screw. He ended up putting a new tube in the tire and so far has had no problems with it. I don't recommend patching it or plugging it, however I do know that cycle tires are way expensive.

Me Big Brother, me watching you

skylinerydr- where the ground meets the sky

Today is the day of the beginning of your life, ride safe
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-23-2003, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ga_skyline_rydr
He ended up putting a new tube in the tire and so far has had no problems with it.
I did not know that MC street tires came with tubes.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-23-2003, 10:22 AM

Plugged tires

I've heard from some mechanics that say plugged motorcycle tires are ok up to about 80mph. I've not had a plugged tire, but I've told myself I'd be kind of reluctant to ride around on one for any extended period of time. I just wouldn't completely trust it.

However, after reading Kevlar7R's story, I'm fully convinced- there's no way I'd ride on a plugged tire except to get me to the tire store! Yikes!
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-23-2003, 10:42 AM

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-23-2003, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ga_skyline_rydr
Kevlar, that is a horrible way to have to learn something. My riding buddy had the same thing happen to him on his new dunlops, except the back tire ended up with the screw.
It was my rear tire. A blown/flat rear tire is fairly easy to control if you are going straight. Unfortunately, as I learned, Motorcycles don't turn on flat tires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode