Sportbike World banner

R6 Charging System Problems.. Help!!

1K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  bandicoot 
#1 ·
I have a '00 R6. I am only getting about 13 volts from the charging system. I have replaced the stator, and the rectifier to no avail. I noticed that I have a "pigtail" ground wire coming off the negative battery terminal with the main negative cable. The negative cable grounds on the engine casing. The other wire goes to a conector then into the harness. That wire is getting very hot when it is running. I don't want to send it to the dealer if I don't have to. Please help if you can.

Thanks Guys n Gals,

Travis

#3 ·
Yeah, It drains the battery to the point it dies. The spec is 14.1 Volts. I know it is working a little, I just don't know where to go from here. I am going to dive back into it in a few, I'll keep you updated on what I find. I'm starting to think Ground Problem somewhere.

I'll be around if anyone has any ideas, Thanks Everyone

Travis

#5 ·
OK, Here is what I know so far. The Unloaded Voltage Spec is 14.1 volts. It is putting out 13.56 when it is cold. I have checked the rectifier, stator, Battery, and started on the wiring. I have come to the conclusion that I have a direct short when it is hot. I just have to find it. I'll let you know when I figure it out. I hope my misfortune helps out someone else.

Travis

#6 ·
Well Guys and Gals, It seems to have been the battery. I replaced it and the bike hasn't died on me yet. I have spoken with a few different people on this and they said that the battery probably had a loose plate inside that was touching another and shorting out. Let's hope this is all it is.

Chris, Thanks for trying to help out.

Travis

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.